C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011-12 Grand Sport or 2006-2009 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:50 PM
DanCotti
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011-12 Grand Sport or 2006-2009 Z06?

Hey guys! My friend wrecked my 2008 Z51 corvette and now I am looking to replace it! I have the opportunity to purchase either a Grand Sport (2011-2012) or a Z06 (2006-2009) and was wondering you guy's thoughts and opinions on both! I am 21 so the roughness of the ride or the loudness of the car doesn't bother me. I have never driven either of the two and figured you guys out there have way more knowledge on the cars than me, so lets hear the thoughts or the opinions on the two! The Grand Sport looks amazing and has a removable top, but the Z06 has the 427 and the "Z06" on the side just tells everyone not to mess with it The cars will not be tracked or anything, but I do like power when needed What do you guys think? Thanks!!!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:01 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Jmo. If the car will never be tracked, get the newer GS and enjoy it. It's not down on hp from the Z06 that much especially for street use, and will be more comfortable while still retaining the widebody look. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Z06, but it's built for the road course, and you just can't use the capabilities to the fullest on the street. Plus like you said, you can take the roof off, and automatic is also an option if you prefer.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:11 PM
DanCotti
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed
Jmo. If the car will never be tracked, get the newer GS and enjoy it. It's not down on hp from the Z06 that much especially for street use, and will be more comfortable while still retaining the widebody look. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Z06, but it's built for the road course, and you just can't use the capabilities to the fullest on the street. Plus like you said, you can take the roof off, and automatic is also an option if you prefer.
Awesome! Thanks!!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:14 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

We've had two base coupes, two Z06's, one GS. at your age, I'd recommend the Z06. GS doesn't compare.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:14 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

If your buddy doesn't care about a removable top, hands down get the Z06. I hated to sell my 07 but it was a great car. I've driven the Grandsport and regular C6, and let me tell you...the difference in 430 HP and 505HP is significant even if just street driven. The Z in even stock form no mods hauls azz and will still beat most (not all) cars on the road today.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:16 PM
DanCotti
Advanced

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
We've had two base coupes, two Z06's, one GS. at your age, I'd recommend the Z06. GS doesn't compare.
The Z06 is so tempting!! You've had your share of some amazing corvettes it seems! I am pretty jealous
Old 03-30-2015, 10:19 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Get the big boy, go ZO6 if you can afford the insurance. You get the best of all worlds, huge engine and the wide body. I wish they would have upgraded the engine on the GS just a tad to separate the performance from a base, but they didn't. The GS is really cool, but all it is, is your Z51(pretty close) with a widebody kit on it, in reality. You're 21, go with the Z it has bada$$ written all over it. The GS is for guys that cant handle the ZO6 due to back problems and bad knees & hips (J/K )
Old 03-30-2015, 10:23 PM
DanCotti
Advanced

Originally Posted by FrankTank
If your buddy doesn't care about a removable top, hands down get the Z06. I hated to sell my 07 but it was a great car. I've driven the Grandsport and regular C6, and let me tell you...the difference in 430 HP and 505HP is significant even if just street driven. The Z in even stock form no mods hauls azz and will still beat most (not all) cars on the road today.

Not having a removable top doesn't really bother me! I had a racing cam, long tube headers, and an intake installed in my 2008 base and it was absolutely thrilling! Dyno'd at 492 I believe
Old 03-30-2015, 10:26 PM
DanCotti
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain
Get the big boy, go ZO6 if you can afford the insurance. You get the best of all worlds, huge engine and the wide body. I wish they would have upgraded the engine on the GS just a tad to separate the performance from a base, but they didn't. The GS is really cool, but all it is, is your Z51(pretty close) with a widebody kit on it, in reality. You're 21, go with the Z it has bada$$ written all over it. The GS is for guys that cant handle the ZO6 due to back problems and bad knees & hips (J/K )
Haha ! Love it man! The grand sport looks amazing, but I've been in love with the 427 engine since I was 16! Still a tough decision!!Thanks!!
Old 03-30-2015, 11:15 PM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 333 Likes on 195 Posts

Get what you really really want. I had a z06 and dont want another one. The LS7 is not a motor I like at all. I miss my z06 but with SOME guys dropping valves, I dont want another one at all. I am super happy with my GS. I did a blower cam, tune, cai, and fast 102, NW TB. I am very close to 500rwhp and am very happy with it. If the LS7 didnt have SOME problems with the valves I would be happy to go out and get a 2013 z06. But I know 4 guys that dropped valves.

Just get what you really want.

Blower will be on my GS next year, the HP will be really good for me, won't be 436.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:59 AM
DanCotti
Advanced

Originally Posted by yellowzron
Get what you really really want. I had a z06 and dont want another one. The LS7 is not a motor I like at all. I miss my z06 but with SOME guys dropping valves, I dont want another one at all. I am super happy with my GS. I did a blower cam, tune, cai, and fast 102, NW TB. I am very close to 500rwhp and am very happy with it. If the LS7 didnt have SOME problems with the valves I would be happy to go out and get a 2013 z06. But I know 4 guys that dropped valves.

Just get what you really want.

Blower will be on my GS next year, the HP will be really good for me, won't be 436.
Great answer! I did here about the valve issue of the Z06, so that kinda bothers me. Keep me updated on your Grand Sport! Seems like an awesome car!!
Old 03-31-2015, 02:23 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I had the opportunity to buy either. Once I compared insurance prices between the two my choice was easier to make. GS.
Plus...the GS is only shy 69 hp of the Z. You can easily gain that out the LS3.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:35 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,141 Posts

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago.

I ended up buying the GS, which cost about 4 grand more than some of the used Z's i was looking at.

At the end of the day i wanted something that was reliable, stock, low mileage, with warranty. The GS fit the bill on all of that. I loved the Z, as you can see my username, but as time went by and it was time to finally buy a vette, i couldn't buy a car that was 40 grand, with mileage already up there, with no warranty, then an engine problem occured and i had to shell out money on a car that was "new". Those days of fixing cars every weekend are over for me.

Yes you can't compare 430 to 505 but unless you plan on hauling *** every time you're taking the car out or tracking it, you don't even notice it. Both have widebody's, both have dry sumps (if you get a manual coupe GS).

If you want a certain status but never really plan on using it, get the Z. If you actually want a reliable car with less power, get the GS lol.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:50 AM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 333 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago.

I ended up buying the GS, which cost about 4 grand more than some of the used Z's i was looking at.

At the end of the day i wanted something that was reliable, stock, low mileage, with warranty. The GS fit the bill on all of that. I loved the Z, as you can see my username, but as time went by and it was time to finally buy a vette, i couldn't buy a car that was 40 grand, with mileage already up there, with no warranty, then an engine problem occured and i had to shell out money on a car that was "new". Those days of fixing cars every weekend are over for me.

Yes you can't compare 430 to 505 but unless you plan on hauling *** every time you're taking the car out or tracking it, you don't even notice it. Both have widebody's, both have dry sumps (if you get a manual coupe GS).

If you want a certain status but never really plan on using it, get the Z. If you actually want a reliable car with less power, get the GS lol.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:47 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
Just don't let your friends drive it, if you get a Z06.

The nice thing about the GS (I purposely chose one over the Z06 and ZR1) is because I daily drive it, and I like to punch it whenever, it is very controllable for the street power.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:09 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by DanCotti
Haha ! Love it man! The grand sport looks amazing, but I've been in love with the 427 engine since I was 16! Still a tough decision!!Thanks!!
You know it's not a 427 big block but a small block punched until it bleeds.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:35 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by DanCotti
Great answer! I did here about the valve issue of the Z06, so that kinda bothers me. Keep me updated on your Grand Sport! Seems like an awesome car!!
I wouldn't get overly concerned about the heads on the LS7, there are some very good racing shops out there that have addressed the problem in lots of the LS7's. I a know it won't deter me from getting one of the best Vetts ever made if I buy another one.

The other option is just get one with warranty, keep it stock and not worry about it. I had my heads rebuilt at WCCH in California as a precaution and never worried about too much. I still chuckle when people say don't get the Z, the extra power is not really noticable on the street... if that were true you would not have hundreds of people here modifying their Grand Sports and Base C6 vettes for more HP. ;-)

I would also recommend driving both the Z and GS, I think your mind will be easily made up.

Last edited by FrankTank; 03-31-2015 at 12:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011-12 Grand Sport or 2006-2009 Z06?

Old 03-31-2015, 01:22 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Unless someone else is paying for the insurance I would gets quotes on insuring a Z06 vs. a GrandSport before you make your decision.

I know what I pay for my 20 year-old to drive a G37s V6 so I can only imagine what the coverage cost would be for a 21 year-old in a Z06...
Old 03-31-2015, 01:44 PM
DanCotti
Advanced

Originally Posted by RC4G
Unless someone else is paying for the insurance I would gets quotes on insuring a Z06 vs. a GrandSport before you make your decision.

I know what I pay for my 20 year-old to drive a G37s V6 so I can only imagine what the coverage cost would be for a 21 year-old in a Z06...
Very true! I have a pretty stable job to afford the insurance, but it is a very big factor. I got some quotes for the Z06 @ $153 a month for full coverage. I didn't think that was so bad! thanks for the advice!

Last edited by DanCotti; 03-31-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:08 PM
DanCotti
Advanced

Originally Posted by FrankTank
I wouldn't get overly concerned about the heads on the LS7, there are some very good racing shops out there that have addressed the problem in lots of the LS7's. I a know it won't deter me from getting one of the best Vetts ever made if I buy another one.

The other option is just get one with warranty, keep it stock and not worry about it. I had my heads rebuilt at WCCH in California as a precaution and never worried about too much. I still chuckle when people say don't get the Z, the extra power is not really noticable on the street... if that were true you would not have hundreds of people here modifying their Grand Sports and Base C6 vettes for more HP. ;-)

I would also recommend driving both the Z and GS, I think your mind will be easily made up.
I don't necessarily plan on keeping either stock and you're right, I've had a very positive experience with Vengeance Racing with my other corvette and I'm sure they could fix me up if I had issues. Great points! Thanks!!

Quick Reply: 2011-12 Grand Sport or 2006-2009 Z06?