C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two #1 Key Fobs

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:56 PM
JoshBarber
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two #1 Key Fobs

I tried to program 2 #1 Key fobs on my 06 c6. My normal fob works fine, however the "new" #1 wont unlock or start the car. If I try to add it via the glovebox slot, the DIC says its a known fob. I changed the batteries out to make sure.

So can you have 2 #1 Fobs on a C6 or does it need to be a #1 and a #2 fob?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2015, 11:09 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshBarber
I tried to program 2 #1 Key fobs on my 06 c6. My normal fob works fine, however the "new" #1 wont unlock or start the car. If I try to add it via the glovebox slot, the DIC says its a known fob. I changed the batteries out to make sure.

Thanks
No...They are the same..
Old 03-31-2015, 11:11 PM
JoshBarber
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
No...They are the same..
So in follow on to that, how does having a #1 fob programmed as Fob 3 work?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:17 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Thanks
Where are you getting the numbers you're quoting for the fob numbers? You are aware that the car will not allow 2 different fobs to both be programmed for the car as #1. The number engraved on the fob does not mean anything to the car. It's just there for your convenience.

Only fobs that are programmed as #1 or #2 can access the memory options of the car. Fobs programmed as #3 or #4 can only lock and unlock and start the car.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:18 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Lock, unlock, start the car ONLY. No memory options.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:29 PM
JoshBarber
Intermediate

So thats my point

The two fobs I have, are both engraved with a large "1" on the bottom.

I have my "normal" fob programmed as the Key Fob 1 after wiping all other fobs, then I used my "new" fob as Key Fob 2.

I can now start and do all cool things with the "normal" fob, however with the "new" fob, nada. So I assumed I pooched the process on that fob, so I thought I would add it again. So when I place it in the slot in the glove box it tells me its a known fob. However Unlock, Lock and start all dont work on the "new" fob, despite being a known fob.

So I changed the battery out and removed any electronic devices from my person, still no good.

Any help, or do I wipe the fobs again and start over
Old 03-31-2015, 11:45 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

There are 2 different procedures for programming fobs for the car.

One is a "short" procedure that just adds additional fobs to the car. Those fobs that are added are automatically added as the next fob number that has not already been programmed for the car. If the fob you are trying to program has already been programmed for your car, this procedure will not reprogram it as a new fob number. Once a fob has been programmed as number 4, no more fobs can be programmed for the car.

The "long" procedure reprograms ALL the fobs for the car, beginning with fob #1. Remember that it doesn't matter what fob number is engraved on the fob, the first fob programmed will be programmed as fob #1. The next fob programmed will be programmed as fob #2, etc, up to a maximum of 4 fobs.

So, if you've got a fob that's already programmed for the car as some number other than #1 or #2 and you want the 2 fobs you have to be programmed as #1 and #2, you'll need to use the "long" procedure. The other thing that the "long" procedure does for you is to cancel all previously programmed fobs for your car that you don't have.

Start over with the long procedure.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:50 PM
JoshBarber
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
There are 2 different procedures for programming fobs for the car.

One is a "short" procedure that just adds additional fobs to the car. Those fobs that are added are automatically added as the next fob number that has not already been programmed for the car. If the fob you are trying to program has already been programmed for your car, this procedure will not reprogram it as a new fob number. Once a fob has been programmed as number 4, no more fobs can be programmed for the car.

The "long" procedure reprograms ALL the fobs for the car, beginning with fob #1. Remember that it doesn't matter what fob number is engraved on the fob, the first fob programmed will be programmed as fob #1. The next fob programmed will be programmed as fob #2, etc, up to a maximum of 4 fobs.

So, if you've got a fob that's already programmed for the car as some number other than #1 or #2 and you want the 2 fobs you have to be programmed as #1 and #2, you'll need to use the "long" procedure. The other thing that the "long" procedure does for you is to cancel all previously programmed fobs for your car that you don't have.

Start over with the long procedure.
So I tried the short process, and I had the Max number of fobs message.
At this point I decided on the long process, using my "normal" fob as Fob 1 for the car, then the new fob, as fob 2 to the car.
Now, the car functions fine with my "normal" fob, however the "new" fob does nothing. I assumed I screwed up the set up, so I thought I would do the short process to add the new fob, however when I put it in the glovebox slot on the short process, the DIC shows a message saying "Known Fob"

However using the lock, unlock, trunk or alarm buttons nothing happens. When in the car with the "new" fob, the car wont start.

I'm guessing im wiping all my fobs (long process) and starting again, right?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:55 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't know what else to tell you. It sounds like you've got a glitch in your use of the long procedure to program all fobs. There are others here on the forum who are "experts" in these 2 procedures and should be along, probably tomorrow, to help you.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:00 AM
JoshBarber
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
I don't know what else to tell you. It sounds like you've got a glitch in your use of the long procedure to program all fobs. There are others here on the forum who are "experts" in these 2 procedures and should be along, probably tomorrow, to help you.
Thanks for trying
Old 04-01-2015, 12:48 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Good/correct info from Vette DD on all of this.

Search for threads on the long programming sequence and confirm you aren't missing something and/or not getting the proper confirmation from the car.

Last resort, have a dealer do it.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:46 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

You are saying you have a "new" number 1fob. Did you have the original two and lost/replaced one? If so, the computer acknowledges two fobs for all the settings, so if this is the "third" fob it cannot be programmed as the first two... Does that make sense?
Old 04-01-2015, 07:54 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

So I tried the short process, and I had the Max number of fobs message.
At this point I decided on the long process, using my "normal" fob as Fob 1 for the car, then the new fob, as fob 2 to the car.
Now, the car functions fine with my "normal" fob, however the "new" fob does nothing. I assumed I screwed up the set up, so I thought I would do the short process to add the new fob, however when I put it in the glovebox slot on the short process, the DIC shows a message saying "Known Fob"

However using the lock, unlock, trunk or alarm buttons nothing happens. When in the car with the "new" fob, the car wont start.

I'm guessing im wiping all my fobs (long process) and starting again, right?
Sounds like you did everything correctly and "New" just has a dead battery. I bet it will start the car if in the slot but not otherwise. Sometimes new batteries are bad. Some batteries have a rough surface that doesn't make contact. I'll assume it isn't in backward.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:29 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

He don't have a #3...
Old 04-01-2015, 11:34 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
He don't have a #3...
He seems to have as far as the car is concerned. Doesn't matter what number's engraved on the fob.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:15 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I agree with FortMorganAl...it sounds like you have properly programmed both fobs but the second (new) one has a dead battery or the battery is installed wrong. The slot is recognizing it, so it programs fine, but without a working battery it will not do anything with the car. I would suggest putting the new one in the slot and trying to start the car. If the slot recognizes it enough to say KNOWN FOB, then it will also start the car when it is in the slot. Your symptoms are completely consistent with a working fob that is not getting power from its' battery. You can put a label over the number 1 that says "2". As stated above, all fobs are the same...the number stamped into it is only for your convenience...just change it to a "2" and it will now be a "2".

Do not start programming again...the steps you have done already show that both fobs are programmed properly. The fact that your original fob starts the car shows that it is programmed. The KNOWN FOB message shows that the new fob is correctly programmed. No more programming is needed.

Last edited by cclive; 04-02-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Linecapt
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Another spin to this.

Some stores (Home Depot) have some device by their battery section that you hold up your fob to and press any button. The device hears the signals and flashes a light to tell you that the buttons work or not, primarily to check battery life on your fob only. I suppose this would tell you if the battery is installed properly, let alone if the fob is any good in the first place.

Get notified of new replies

To Two #1 Key Fobs

Quick Reply: Two #1 Key Fobs