C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unsprung weight question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Default unsprung weight question

i have a GS with painted wheels with GY RF's...and bought some used pilot SS tires with chrome wheels...i am thinking about
swapping the SS tires onto my painted wheels.and with my scale,, the weight dif is almost 5 1/2 lbs on each front and about 3 1/2 on each rear..
so its almost an 18 lbs advantage to go with the lighter SS tires and lighter factory painted wheels...
anyone agree, or have another idea if i should go to all this hassel..and i will have some nice chrome factory wheels for sale..
bud
Old 03-31-2015, 11:13 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

You will notice no difference, imho. Unsprung wt helps with suspension, yes, but will you see it even on a track, those wt's? No. I've lightened mine with two piece rotors moreso than the wts you mention.. I rememeber I calculated 3# for a chrome wheel, so I agree with your measurements. That's one reason I chose painted when I ordered my car. But you will never feel that at the wheel. So I'd go with which one you like the looks of. That being said, as a hobby, I like to use the best parts for performance I can, and so if it were me, I'd do the switch on principle only.. But don't expect to feel any improvement. Cheers.

Quick Reply: unsprung weight question