C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

npp exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 12:51 AM
red 08 ca.
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default npp exhaust

hi,

Will a 2008 NPP exhaust bolt up directly up with a 08 non factory optioned car. I heard some welding might be required ?
Old 04-11-2015, 01:08 AM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

NPP is the same diameter as non NPP, it will bolt right up.

Now, for some reason it is pretty common for people to call Z06 bi-mode mufflers NPP, they are not and will not just bolt up. (They have 3" pipes)

So, if your exhaust is truly a 2-1/2" NPP it will bolt right up.

You will however need something like NPP in a box to operate the dual mode function of the exhaust.

DJ

Last edited by djbrun; 04-11-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:27 PM
red 08 ca.
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default npp

Originally Posted by djbrun
NPP is the same diameter as non NPP, it will bolt right up.

Now, for reason it is pretty common for people to call Z06 bi-mode mufflers NPP, they are not and will not just bolt up. (They have 3" pipes)

So, if your exhaust is truly a 2-1/2" NPP it will bolt right up.

You will however need something like NPP in a box to operate the dual mode function of the exhaust.

DJ
DJ,

That's what I was thinking, just wanted to double check. they are 2.5"
so looks like I'm good to go. Thx. RB
Old 04-11-2015, 05:55 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by red 08 ca.
hi,

Will a 2008 NPP exhaust bolt up directly up with a 08 non factory optioned car. I heard some welding might be required ?
I did exactly this with my 2008 coupe. A non-Z06 NPP setup from model years 2005-2008 will bolt right on to a standard 2008 coupe without the NPP option installed at the factory. I had mine installed at my local MIDAS.

Be aware that you will still need to purchase the "NPP in a Box" setup, which provides you with the necessary vacuum hoses and remote fob in order for you to be able to control whether the baffles on your new NPP mufflers remain open or closed. Without this the baffles will always be open, which means things can get pretty "burbly, loud, and droney." (Edit: some folks like this. I prefer to have control over it.)

Save some installation $$$ and have both the NPP in a Box and the new mufflers installed at the same time.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:11 PM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

what is a fair price to pay for a set of used bolt on npp mufflers?

Last edited by SpeedUp; 04-11-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:58 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by vara411
I did exactly this with my 2008 coupe. A non-Z06 NPP setup from model years 2005-2008 will bolt right on to a standard 2008 coupe without the NPP option installed at the factory. I had mine installed at my local MIDAS.

Be aware that you will still need to purchase the "NPP in a Box" setup, which provides you with the necessary vacuum hoses and remote fob in order for you to be able to control whether the baffles on your new NPP mufflers remain open or closed. Without this the baffles will always be open, which means things can get pretty "burbly, loud, and droney." (Edit: some folks like this. I prefer to have control over it.)

Save some installation $$$ and have both the NPP in a Box and the new mufflers installed at the same time.
Even though you bought and had those mufflers installed, you apparently still don't understand what you have. Let me help you add to your knowledge base, so you don't repeat mis-information.

There is no "non-Z06 NPP", because no Z06 ever had a NPP option. They all came with a bi-mode exhaust system as standard equipment.
Additionally, the NPP option was first introduced for the '08 MY, so looking for those mufflers on a 2005-2007 would be futile. Although the Z06 mufflers are similar to the NPP ones and not a straight swap, an install to a base or GS can be accomplished with modifications. There was a slight change in the location of the pipes between the '08 and '09+ NPP, which means the '08 is a straight swap with '05-'08 and the '09-'13 will match to '09-'13. Mods to either can be made to accommodate the differences.

NPP in a box is just one of several ways to control the muffler flaps on retrofitted cars. Other sources and methods are readily available.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:12 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I'll be selling my NPP from a 2010 if someone wants it PM me. One of the mufflers has a rattle in it so I will be willing to sell it for cheap if someone wants to tackle the issue. My loss may be someone else's gain for cheap if they can fix it.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:45 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Even though you bought and had those mufflers installed, you apparently still don't understand what you have. Let me help you add to your knowledge base, so you don't repeat mis-information.

There is no "non-Z06 NPP", because no Z06 ever had a NPP option. They all came with a bi-mode exhaust system as standard equipment.
Additionally, the NPP option was first introduced for the '08 MY, so looking for those mufflers on a 2005-2007 would be futile. Although the Z06 mufflers are similar to the NPP ones and not a straight swap, an install to a base or GS can be accomplished with modifications. There was a slight change in the location of the pipes between the '08 and '09+ NPP, which means the '08 is a straight swap with '05-'08 and the '09-'13 will match to '09-'13. Mods to either can be made to accommodate the differences.

NPP in a box is just one of several ways to control the muffler flaps on retrofitted cars. Other sources and methods are readily available.
Yes, yes. I'm perfectly aware that NPP was not an option for Z06 cars and that it's called "bi-mode." Forgive me, I misspoke. Thanks for setting me straight.

I wasn't aware of any other commercially-available alternatives to NPP-in-a-box. What are they, or were you referring to some "DIY" option?
Old 04-12-2015, 04:10 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by vara411
Yes, yes. I'm perfectly aware that NPP was not an option for Z06 cars and that it's called "bi-mode." Forgive me, I misspoke. Thanks for setting me straight.

I wasn't aware of any other commercially-available alternatives to NPP-in-a-box. What are they, or were you referring to some "DIY" option?
Try this: http://sunsetorangecreations.com/

A forum sponsor/vendor
Old 04-13-2015, 07:38 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

A forum sponsor/vendor
Thank you, sir!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:49 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

A forum sponsor/vendor
To the OP, I may be wrong but I think the SOC unit is a controller only, one of several offerings out there. You still need vacuum lines and power to control the muffler actuators. That is what NPP in a box kit provides. Check it out before you buy to ensure you get what you need. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2015, 12:33 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by dpigguy
To the OP, I may be wrong but I think the SOC unit is a controller only, one of several offerings out there. You still need vacuum lines and power to control the muffler actuators. That is what NPP in a box kit provides. Check it out before you buy to ensure you get what you need. Good luck!
Full retro fit kit
http://www.shop.sunsetorangecreation...9&categoryId=1

Get notified of new replies

To npp exhaust

Quick Reply: npp exhaust