C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty contract invalid from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:44 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Extended warranty contract invalid from dealer

A couple months ago I purchased a certified per-owned 2012 3LT vert from a Chevy dealer. They offered an extended GM/Chevy warranty on the car that I purchased for $2600 bucks! This warranty was to cover the car to 100,000 miles with $100 deductible.

I received a letter from Ally that says my contract is invalid (reasons not stated in letter). I called my dealer 2x and both times they said "let me check this out and ill call you back." 2x no call back . I called Ally and they told me the reason it was not valid was because the car had 11k miles on it, and they wrote it up to be under warranty to 111,000 miles and Ally will not warranty a car past 100,000 (reps words).

So thats the back story. NOW - What do you think I should do? Obvious this contract is not valid. Do you think I can cancel it and get my $2600 bucks back, and just put that in a "Car fund" on the chance I need it? Or are people who purchased a GM extended warranty glad they got it, and I should wait for them to rewrite the contract?

Need advice on what best next step would be. Before I call the dealer back a 3x I want to have a plan.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:51 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Just have the dealer re-write the contract using 100,000 miles and resubmit it. Sounds like a simple typo error.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:27 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

So its probably best to keep the warranty?
Old 04-18-2015, 09:39 AM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Seems like at some point in the process you were convinced an extended warranty was a good thing and coverage up to 100,000 miles was acceptable........now you seem unsure......what changed?
Old 04-18-2015, 09:46 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SSWEET
Seems like at some point in the process you were convinced an extended warranty was a good thing and coverage up to 100,000 miles was acceptable........now you seem unsure......what changed?
More confidence in the car reliability after reading posts on the forum. A lot of problems with the car would already be covered with the 5/100,000 powertrain warranty. A renewed fear (again from posts) that I really do not want the Chevy service guys touching the car.

And I had a 2002 Vert that was virtually flawless with a couple minor issues that I fixed myself for cheap.

Still on the fence tho lol
Old 04-18-2015, 11:30 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 333 Posts

Why are you buying an "extended warranty" with a CPO??? A CPO extends the factory warranty with time and miles...
Old 04-18-2015, 11:34 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
Why are you buying an "extended warranty" with a CPO??? A CPO extends the factory warranty with time and miles...
It does. You get a 1 year 12k mile warranty.

Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty

You can feel confident in your decision to buy a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle from Chevy, Buick or GMC. Each vehicle comes with our Certified Pre-Owned 12-Month/12,000-Mile1 Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty with $0 deductible.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:37 AM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Extended warranties are essentially big money makers for the dealer and for the insurer. Since the dealer has been an idiot and given you the opportunity to change your mind, cancel the warranty and get your money back (if you can). I'm betting the dealer has a death grip on your $2,600 and you'll never get it back. Why in the world would you buy and extended warranty on anything, let alone a dealer "Certified" used car?
Old 04-18-2015, 11:39 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RagTop69
. Why in the world would you buy and extended warranty on anything, let alone a dealer "Certified" used car?
A lot of people recommend GMPP.. atleast I thought a lot did.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:39 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SpeedUp
It does. You get a 1 year 12k mile warranty.

Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty

You can feel confident in your decision to buy a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle from Chevy, Buick or GMC. Each vehicle comes with our Certified Pre-Owned 12-Month/12,000-Mile1 Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty with $0 deductible.
Cadillac CPO extends the 4/50 to 6/100, interesting...FWIW, I've purchased 3 GMPP's in the past and NEVER needed to use them = wasted $ although I purchased them on new vehicles and they were not that expensive.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:43 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
Cadillac CPO extends the 4/50 to 6/100, interesting...FWIW, I've purchased 3 GMPP's in the past and NEVER needed to use them = wasted $ although I purchased them on new vehicles and they were not that expensive.
That is a good point. If you never needed them, why buy it 3 times?
Old 04-18-2015, 11:51 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SpeedUp
That is a good point. If you never needed them, why buy it 3 times?
They were all purchased around the same time when I bought a couple of C6's and a Caddy. I've purchased dozens of new vehicles since 1970 and know the odds with warranties. These were purchased because of the electronics, not drive lines. At the time these were the most complex vehicles (electronics) being made by GM. They were less than 1K (each) because I extended more time than miles.

I would NEVER spend this kind of money on any extended warranty. The key is to look at the cars GM history report to determine issues both happened and then potential. I have a neighbor that always buys extended warranties and, he is always using them and swears by them... however, he has issues that I've NEVER heard happening to vehicles if you get the drift. I think that he tries to get his money back, LOL.

Last edited by jimmie jam; 04-18-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Extended warranty contract invalid from dealer

Quick Reply: Extended warranty contract invalid from dealer