C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service column lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:09 PM
Rlanza
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Service column lock

Help do I spend 1300$ to fix my column lock or do it the cheaper way I have an 05 with only 13k miles it make me sick to think that Gm knows this and they still want to stick it to me and others what say????
Old 04-26-2015, 09:26 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Rlanza
Help do I spend 1300$ to fix my column lock or do it the cheaper way I have an 05 with only 13k miles it make me sick to think that Gm knows this and they still want to stick it to me and others what say????
I bought a by pass kit from Corvettes of Houston for about $100 about a year of more ago. It works fine. Be aware it's not meant to fix existing problems with the system. You should call them first and see what they think.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:55 PM
Rlanza
Advanced

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I bought a by pass kit from Corvettes of Houston for about $100 about a year of more ago. It works fine. Be aware it's not meant to fix existing problems with the system. You should call them first and see what they think.
Thanks
Old 04-28-2015, 07:51 AM
party1999
Intermediate

Purchased my 1999 a month or so ago - my column does NOT lock - yesterday I started getting the SERVICE COLUMN LOCK message (along with LOW WASHER FLUID which is incorrect as it is full). I went to the ever useful interweb and googled GM recalls i.e. https://recalls.gm.com/#/ and http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

entered my vin and according to the sites there are no open recalls on my car. If this means the fix has been done do I just ignore the message as the car still functions fine and keep hitting the reset or try something else to avoid getting the message? - I saw something here about pulling fuse 25 for a time
Old 04-28-2015, 10:53 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by party1999
Purchased my 1999 a month or so ago - my column does NOT lock - yesterday I started getting the SERVICE COLUMN LOCK message (along with LOW WASHER FLUID which is incorrect as it is full). I went to the ever useful interweb and googled GM recalls i.e. https://recalls.gm.com/#/ and http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

entered my vin and according to the sites there are no open recalls on my car. If this means the fix has been done do I just ignore the message as the car still functions fine and keep hitting the reset or try something else to avoid getting the message? - I saw something here about pulling fuse 25 for a time
Pulling the fuse is like disconnecting the battery, it resets the ECM thereby clearing any code(s) which might've been set.
The computers in these cars sometimes freak out, setting/clearing bits which really shouldn't be -- for whatever reason.
A reboot often clears the situation, with the computer.

BUT, if the error returns following a reset, then there's an issue needing to be addressed.

BTW, have you posted to C5 '99, you're in C6 now.
Even tho' messages may appear similar between generations there's likely differences too, OK?

That said have you checked to see if there're any codes set?
If you don't have an OBDII reader most any parts stores usually have a loaner reader for customers.

Check for any code(s).

Get notified of new replies

To Service column lock

Quick Reply: Service column lock