C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Radiator Support/Skid Plate Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:54 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Default Lower Radiator Support/Skid Plate Replacement

My lower radiator support had broken welds so I tackled the job this afternoon. This was an $1100+ stealership labor for the job. I have the shop manuals for the car (2005) and it called for the removal of the front fascia. As others have stated, the fascia DOES NOT have to be removed. It is a relatively easy job that does not require special tools. It took me about 3.5 hours stumbling along start to finish. Thanks to GS057 for selling me his unused support.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
My lower radiator support had broken welds so I tackled the job this afternoon. This was an $1100+ stealership labor for the job. I have the shop manuals for the car (2005) and it called for the removal of the front fascia. As others have stated, the fascia DOES NOT have to be removed. It is a relatively easy job that does not require special tools. It took me about 3.5 hours stumbling along start to finish. Thanks to GS057 for selling me his unused support.
Congrats! I remember replacing mine and the wire looms being situtated inside somehow if my memory serves me correct PITA right? But if your going to do it right you gotta do it yourself and save money!!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:33 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
congrats on doing it yourself, when mine broke I found a guy who could weld aluminum he fixed mine with added support bars an made it even stronger then before an only charged me 50 bucks didn't even take it off the car.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:01 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 146 Posts

I just had mine welded. My car is still under warranty so the dealer sent it out to a shop that could weld aluminum. They added more support to mine as well. They did a beautiful job. They even repainted the welded area so you can't even tell it was ever damaged. I already had my bumper off to be repainted, so that was not an issue for the welder.

Get notified of new replies

To Lower Radiator Support/Skid Plate Replacement

Quick Reply: Lower Radiator Support/Skid Plate Replacement