C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check out this oil test!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 05:30 PM
jarin12ga
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Check out this oil test!!

I always heard good thing's about Royal purple, but this test is really cool!! It's a Very well made video to compare motor oil, VS bearing wear!! I Bet this stuff would work Great in corvette motors?? I know, use ONLY MOBIL 1!!! But there are many out there, that say it's really not the top oil as some may think?? But I have read that Mobile 1 is specially engineered for tight valve areas and lifters just for corvette motors? Why wouldn't any other better synthetic oil work? Or may work even better then mobile 1?? Just food for thought?? I want the BEST for my girl!!
Old 04-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,149 Posts

You can't go wrong with amsoil.

Royal purple is garbage. Mobil 1 is good. Just because GM recommends it and fills their factory cars with it, doesn't mean it's the "best". It is good oil though.

But i am going with amsoil in my next oil change.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:00 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

if you are genuinely curious about a certain oil for your car, head over to bobistheoilguy and look up oil analysis samples of the oil type in question on the car in question. you will find many people have already tested the combination you are thinking of and you can buy a little piece of mind with the discussion and sample results.

from there, if you choose, you could send in your own sample for analysis, after a couple of fill ups and tests you can get some really good data on how your car is wearing.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:03 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

.. and while I am no expert myself, and this cannot be definitively answered as "this oil is always good for every car" - amsoil has scored highly for every car I've owned and put it in before. wrx, sti, mustang, camaro, 350z etc... I've not yet researched it for the vette.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:25 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by jarin12ga
Oil Test Royal Purple Vs Amsoil - YouTube

I always heard good thing's about Royal purple, but this test is really cool!! It's a Very well made video to compare motor oil, VS bearing wear!! I Bet this stuff would work Great in corvette motors?? I know, use ONLY MOBIL 1!!! But there are many out there, that say it's really not the top oil as some may think?? But I have read that Mobile 1 is specially engineered for tight valve areas and lifters just for corvette motors? Why wouldn't any other better synthetic oil work? Or may work even better then mobile 1?? Just food for thought?? I want the BEST for my girl!!
I have never seen one thread where an engine failed because of any brand of oil..... I'll stick with Mobil 1 until someone can prove otherwise.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 PM
jarin12ga
Instructor

Default ??

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
You can't go wrong with amsoil.

Royal purple is garbage. Mobil 1 is good. Just because GM recommends it and fills their factory cars with it, doesn't mean it's the "best". It is good oil though.

But i am going with amsoil in my next oil change.
Did you even watch the video?? Because amsoil bearings failed faster!! I mean even after he took the oil off the bearing it still ran with more friction than amsoil, that was submerged in oil!! I don't think you watched the whole video? If you did, How can you call it garbage?? It Worked very well for me in Motor cross bikes.I'll tell you what, those motors get SUPER HOT when I used to race bikes!! Royal Purple held up and worked better then many other synthetic oils I've tried. I'm not a sale rep, but I have used the product and disagree with you!!
Old 04-27-2015, 06:34 PM
patriotpa
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

...it must be the purple dye.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:44 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

Didn't we see the same contraption in the Slick 50 infomercials?
Old 04-27-2015, 07:54 PM
jarin12ga
Instructor

Default ?

Originally Posted by 87SAM
Didn't we see the same contraption in the Slick 50 infomercials?
I never seen it??
Old 04-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Did you even watch the video?? Because amsoil bearings failed faster!! I mean even after he took the oil off the bearing it still ran with more friction than amsoil, that was submerged in oil!! I don't think you watched the whole video? If you did, How can you call it garbage?? It Worked very well for me in Motor cross bikes.I'll tell you what, those motors get SUPER HOT when I used to race bikes!! Royal Purple held up and worked better then many other synthetic oils I've tried. I'm not a sale rep, but I have used the product and disagree with you!!
Yes i've watched the video. As well as the same BS test other companies use to sell RP.

First off you look at the oils they're using. Top of the line RP vs bottom grade amsoil?? lol

Then look at how he puts the weights during the amsoil test, then during the RP test.

Then i want you to go on BITOG.com and look for UOA reports by RP.

Shall i pull up my reports using RP?? I have used 3 different grades of RP in my LS2 GTO.

Wanna know what it gave me?? INSANE COPPER NUMBERS.

What does that mean? BEARING WEAR.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:20 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I have never seen one thread where an engine failed because of any brand of oil..... I'll stick with Mobil 1 until someone can prove otherwise.
I would have liked to have seen him test Mobil 1 for comparison reasons.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:00 PM
jarin12ga
Instructor

Default Ok

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Yes i've watched the video. As well as the same BS test other companies use to sell RP.

First off you look at the oils they're using. Top of the line RP vs bottom grade amsoil?? lol

Then look at how he puts the weights during the amsoil test, then during the RP test.

Then i want you to go on BITOG.com and look for UOA reports by RP.

Shall i pull up my reports using RP?? I have used 3 different grades of RP in my LS2 GTO.

Wanna know what it gave me?? INSANE COPPER NUMBERS.

What does that mean? BEARING WEAR.
Ok thanks for the feedback. Just looked interesting and wanted to share.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:00 PM
Pilgrim86314
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jarin, here's a good basic rule on any gearhead forum. Don't get excited over oil. Nearly all of them are good, no big name brand is bad, and you won't notice the difference in anything you use well. Synthetics give you better heat tolerance and that matters but even they aren't much better than "normal" oil for controlling wear.

Yeah, go see Bobistheoilguy. All you ever wanted to know and more.

Pilgrim
Old 04-27-2015, 10:15 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Each person will side with a certain oil and roll with it until they die.

That's just how it is. Your research will be your guide and only you can make you decision on what you will end up putting in your engine.

If you put RP and you like it, then that's all there is to it. Some people have had good results, others haven't. If you do your research, more people have had bad results than good with RP.

With amsoil, more people have had good than bad.

I ran rotella after i ran almost 2 years of RP in my LS2 GTO, copper numbers improved. And Rotella t6 is only a group III oil. And it still put up better numbers than the 3 model RP oils i've used. Then again this is MY experience. The way i drive my car, my engine health, where i live, how i use it, how often i use it etc etc. Those factor in in what oil you use and how it wears down.

Like someone said, these days, basically ANY synthetic oil is good enough for a street car. Unless you're entering the rolex series or doing 24 hour of lemans, any off the shelf synthetic is perfect. It's only a GM engine, not a hand built ferrari engine or something lol

Oil is oil for us. Use what you like, like what you use. If it's RP, then it's RP. Stick with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Check out this oil test!!

Quick Reply: Check out this oil test!!