C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) C6. What are the must haves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 05:46 PM
bluecollarC6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New (to me) C6. What are the must haves?

Well it's been almost 7 years since I've owned a Corvette. BUT, thanks to a divorce and a new lady (massive upgrade), I am back in a fun car.

It's a 2005, A4. What are the "first things first" mods for these guys?

I'm assuming a Vararam is one of those, and I will probably be adding one within the next week. What other easy DIY mods can I add on without spending too much money? I plan on having a TT kit installed within the next 4 or 5 months, but want to do a few things now to give it some added pep.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:48 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

The pop add ons, based on what I see here, seem to be rims (wheels) and exhausts. What exhaust system do you have?
Old 05-04-2015, 05:51 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecollarC6
Well it's been almost 7 years since I've owned a Corvette. BUT, thanks to a divorce and a new lady (massive upgrade), I am back in a fun car.

I'm assuming a Vararam is one of those, and I will probably be adding one within the next week. What other easy DIY mods can I add on without spending too much money? I plan on having a TT kit installed within the next 4 or 5 months, but want to do a few things now to give it some added pep.
Save your money, GM did a good job with the stock intake, you won't gain any thing noticeable.....JMO
Old 05-04-2015, 05:54 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Why a performance exhaust and some nice painter fuel rail cover. And maybe some different forged wheels.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:18 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

The vararam will be wasted when you get a twin turbo kit, so save your money. If you are going to get a turbo kit, I would start with brakes, suspension, wheels, tires. Those are all things that will likely still be appropriate after the turbo kit. The C6 Z06 shocks and z51 sway bars (assuming you don't have a z51 already) are popular and can be had for around $600 from vendors on the site. As for brakes, it depends on what your budget is.

I don't know if this is still true, but the a4 in the c5 (which I think carried over to the c6 for 05) benefits greatly from a torque converter. It is a little more involved install but if you can handle a TT kit, a torque converter should be doable. Also, i am not sure if you need to retune for a new converter or not, but if you do, I would wait for after the TT kit is installed.

Just out of curiosity. While the 2005 isn't a bad car, the 06-07 fixed some of the problems from the first year (05) Why not start with a car that had a 6 speed auto instead of the 4, and a host of other improvements?
Old 05-04-2015, 06:27 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Mmmm,,, My first mod with my vette have been, replace the junk sterio with a good system.. Gotta have tune's
Now its a rocking
Old 05-04-2015, 06:40 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
Just out of curiosity. While the 2005 isn't a bad car, the 06-07 fixed some of the problems from the first year (05) Why not start with a car that had a 6 speed auto instead of the 4, and a host of other improvements?
My understanding is that he already has the car. If not, then I'd suggest he move to an '08 to get the LS3.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:06 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,659 Likes on 846 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

First, welcome!

Second, the "first things to mod" really depends on your personal tastes and how you plan to use the car (cruiser, daily driver, occasional racing, road racing, drag racing, garage queen, etc.).

My car is an almost daily driver/GT cruiser that gets put up in the winter and if the weather is particularly gloomy/rainy stays in the garage.

One thing I believe should be required reading given the bolded part of your statement above is England Green's modifications primer below:

http://www.englandgreen.com/blog/mod...ns-primer.html

England Green is a forum vendor and Stephen (the owner) is one of the finest chaps you'll ever deal with.

Corvette Modifications Primer : A few things to consider if you wish to modify your Corvette for High Performance.

So you want to modify your C6 or C5 Corvette for high performance. Here are some things that you should consider first.

What is your driving style? Are you a drag racer? Autocross? Road racer? Weekend warrior? Show car? Stoplight to stoplight? Or simply highway fun? Or a combination of all or some of these choices?

How you drive and enjoy your Corvette will directly determine what modification you should make to your Corvette.

Nothing is free. Every modification you make to your stock Corvette will involve some kind of compromise. You are not going to make 800 rear wheel horsepower and get 30 miles per gallon with a whisper quiet exhaust as well as drive and idle like stock. That is not going to happen.

The trick is to be totally honest with yourself and decide what compromises you can live with and which ones you cannot. For example, if you want to achieve 500rwhp naturally aspirated, expect a big cam with a loping idle. Expect to lose some fuel efficiency. Expect your Corvette to not drive like stock.

You can start with simple bolt-ons like an aftermarket air filter, long tube headers and cat-back exhaust system. The next logical step is a camshaft only upgrade or heads and camshaft. Along with the bolt-ons, you can be comfortably at the 425-450rwhp range, all naturally aspirated. Or you could bypass the bolt-ons and simply have a supercharger or twin turbocharger system installed. An alternative to bolt-on might be rear gears (along with a stall converter for the automatics). Gears can also compliment your other modifications.

It all depends on what you wish to achieve.

As you increase the stock Corvette from it's 300-340rwhp (C5-C6) or 435rwhp (C6 Z06) to circa 550rwhp on the stock bottom end, expect to have to upgrade other aspects of your drivetrain, cooling and suspension. Remember, nothing is free.

Beyond 550rwhp, we strongly recommend a forged engine as you will be on borrowed time. At this point, your clutch/stall converter will have to be upgraded along with torque tube connectors, transmission and differential. Cooling must be addressed as well as the always overlooked and often forgotten bulletproof fuel system. At this point, methanol injection for boosted applications is almost mandatory. Suspension, brakes, wheels and tyres should also be seriously addressed, along with additional safety systems like a 6 point or better rollcage and so on. A Corvette that is very fast is no fun if it also does not handle and stop.

High performance is not a cheap hobby and it is best to be very aware of this fact going in so you do not encounter any surprises.

But no matter what your budget, we can tailor a system to suit your current and future needs. So please drop us a line or give us a call to discuss your Generation 5 & 6 Corvette high performance needs.
One last thing to keep in mind and this next saying isn't mine (I can't recall the poster who originally coined it here), but is very true......

Cheap, fast, reliable.

Pick two because you can't be all three.

Good luck and hope to see more of you on the forum
Old 05-04-2015, 07:11 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
My understanding is that he already has the car. If not, then I'd suggest he move to an '08 to get the LS3.
makes sense. to me the ls3 does 3 important things #1 - .2 liters and 30 more horsepower #2 - it adds the 6060 transmission #3 - NPP as a factory option.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Must be Black
Must have Chrome wheels
Must have NPP
Must have LS3 at least
Must have wide body.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:28 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

Just out of curiosity. While the 2005 isn't a bad car, the 06-07 fixed some of the problems from the first year (05) Why not start with a car that had a 6 speed auto instead of the 4
Because the A4 is a better tranny?
Old 05-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Must be Black
Must have Chrome wheels
Must have NPP
Must have LS3 at least
Must have wide body.
Kudos OP, enjoy your new ride, and have fun with the 'vette as well.

Yo Don, the guy already bought and '05.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:05 PM
slayer6x6
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

On both vettes I've had, the window valet is always the first goodie that I buy.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:44 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Battery tender! If the car won't start because the battery's drained...all those go fast mods and bling won't mean much..
Old 05-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 890 Likes on 375 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

You don't have anything until you post photos. Once you do post them, then do what your heart tells you. My 2012 GS got Corsa exhaust and x pipe, splash guards, clear bra, and floor and rear deck mats with logos. Take your time and look at other Vettes and get ideas. I don't race, so I didn't do any performance mods.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:00 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Last thing I would waste my money on is a stereo upgrade. Put your money into things that enhance looks and performance. By the way, congrats on the 05.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:24 AM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

A sunshade. F'in cabin gets HOT when car sits outside in the summer.

Get notified of new replies

To New (to me) C6. What are the must haves?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:18 AM
bontrager
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't already have one, I would invest in a "hud". Kits are available for the c6 series of vetts and some vendors on this forum can do the install; even some members.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:50 AM
bluecollarC6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rky Mtn C6
You don't have anything until you post photos. Once you do post them, then do what your heart tells you. My 2012 GS got Corsa exhaust and x pipe, splash guards, clear bra, and floor and rear deck mats with logos. Take your time and look at other Vettes and get ideas. I don't race, so I didn't do any performance mods.
It has some sort of aftermarket exhaust on it already that sounds decent. I haven't put it on a lift yet to see exactly what it is.

I should have been more specific I suppose. I was asking about performance mods. I may throw a stereo in at some point, but I'm not into that as much now. Stock wheels are fine for now, will end up with some CCWs or TrueForged down the road.

My old C5 put down 638 sae corrected. I'm not sure how far I'll end up going with this one. I've just been out of the scene for a while and didn't know if there were new additions to the market, or certain things that really woke up the LS2.

As far as why the A4 -- I love twisties, but I also love 1/4 mile. The A4, from everything I've heard, is better at this. I test drove one with the paddle shift and just didn't like it. I am tired of rowing gears. I also end up in a lot of stop and go traffic every time I go to the DFW area (I live in Texas).

I got a great deal on it, and it has been very well taken care of. That is just as important to me as anything else.

Here are a few crappy pictures for now.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:54 AM
bluecollarC6
Advanced

And, a quick pic of my old C5, just because I still miss it.

Quick Reply: New (to me) C6. What are the must haves?