C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just replaced my door latch assembly.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:48 PM
BullittEV
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Just replaced my door latch assembly.

If you have any questions relating to this let me know. There are a few threads and a video on youtube, but it didn't answer every question I had.

Should I just do a complete write up?

My interior and exterior switches didn't work. Obviously I tried switching the passenger door pad over to the driver, and I came to the conclusion it was the door latch, which was correct.

Ask me anything.

Once determined the door latch is the issue:

1. You need to remove the door sill trim on the rear end (closer to the latch, where it overlaps with the door trim itself, a plastic piece that runs up the door jam.)
2. Once you lift up that door sill trim, you will start to see where the tension is at, it's a pronged-type tab, you need to keep pulling up on it with one flathead, and using another flathead and pushing in on the metal tab until it completely comes out, you'll know it.
3. This will allow you the room and maneuverability to now slide down and out the door trim and give you access to the door latch.
4. Once the door trim is out, you will see a covering of the hole that is glued, just pry it off with your flathead.
5. Now go and unscrew the two torx screws from the door latch from the door itself, (not sure of the size)
6. Now you can manuever the bad door latch assembly out into the cabin, from here, the electrical tab holding in the wiring is pulled up away from the tabs sticking out on the bottom and it will pull the wiring out. Now test it on your new latch and make sure it works.
7. Now theres a small cover on the old door latch assembly, you need to use a smaller torx head on two of those screws, and that uncovers the mechanical switches(for the trunk and door release)
8. Take these mechanical switches and put them exactly on your new latch the way they were on the old one. Screw the cover back on (this can get tricky, but just wiggle around with it)
9. MAKE SURE THE LATCH OPENS WITH THE MECHANICAL SWITCHES, <B> BUT</B> WHEN YOU CLOSE THE LATCH IT DOESNT COME UNLOCKED WITH THE PUSH OF A FINGER.
10. Once everything is good just reinsert the way you took it off, including the door sills/trims.

Last edited by BullittEV; 05-05-2015 at 07:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BullittEV:
Ajaste (10-19-2015), LedZepper (02-06-2017)
Old 06-19-2015, 07:16 PM
2268irma
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door cable

Originally Posted by BullittEV
If you have any questions relating to this let me know. There are a few threads and a video on youtube, but it didn't answer every question I had.

My interior and exterior switches didn't work. Obviously I tried switching the passenger door pad over to the driver, and I came to the conclusion it was the door latch, which was correct.

Ask me anything.

1. You need to remove the door sill trim on the rear end (closer to the latch, where it overlaps with the door trim itself, a plastic piece that runs up the door jam.)
2. Once you lift up that door sill trim, you will start to see where the tension is at, it's a pronged-type tab, you need to keep pulling up on it with one flathead, and using another flathead and pushing in on the metal tab until it completely comes out, you'll know it.
3. This will allow you the room and maneuverability to now slide down and out the door trim and give you access to the door latch.
4. Once the door trim is out, you will see a covering of the hole that is glued, just pry it off with your flathead.
5. Now go and unscrew the two torx screws from the door latch from the door itself, (not sure of the size)
6. Now you can manuever the bad door latch assembly out into the cabin, from here, the electrical tab holding in the wiring is pulled up away from the tabs sticking out on the bottom and it will pull the wiring out. Now test it on your new latch and make sure it works.
7. Now theres a small cover on the old door latch assembly, you need to use a smaller torx head on two of those screws, and that uncovers the mechanical switches(for the trunk and door release)
8. Take these mechanical switches and put them exactly on your new latch the way they were on the old one. Screw the cover back on (this can get tricky, but just wiggle around with it)
9. MAKE SURE THE LATCH OPENS WITH THE MECHANICAL SWITCHES, <B> BUT</B> WHEN YOU CLOSE THE LATCH IT DOESNT COME UNLOCKED WITH THE PUSH OF A FINGER.
10. Once everything is good just reinsert the way you took it off, including the door sills/trims.
can the door latch keep the mechanical cables from opening the door from the trunk and inside release?
Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had friend had to replace his latch, and use to use the handle to open the door, and the hatch also worked perfect.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BullittEV

Ask me anything.

I'll be faced with this job later in the week, after the replacement part arrives. Thank you for your detailed write-up.

Last edited by Ajaste; 10-19-2015 at 11:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Just replaced my door latch assembly.

Quick Reply: Just replaced my door latch assembly.