C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth trading a '10 Grand Sport for '13 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:43 AM
MissVroomVroom
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Is it worth trading a '10 Grand Sport for '13 Z06?

Please help me, guys! I currently have a 2010 Grand Sport. My husband was on the dealer's website and noticed they now have a 2013 Z06. We used to have a 50th anniversary 2003 Z06, and the idea of having the 60th anniversary edition Z06 has him salivating. He's saying we could trade my car, throw in $20k, and get the deal done. The car lot said they need to see my car (obviously), but that a trade plus 20k doesn't sound outrageous.

Anyway, the '13 Z06 is a 2LZ. It's very much like my Grand Sport - same color, similar mileage (Z06 has 12.5k, my Grand Sport has just under 9k), spotless exterior/interior, both manual transmissions, etc.

So, is it a dumb idea? My husband says that Z06 engine alone is worth the price difference, let alone having a car that's 3 years newer.

Personally, I had been leaning towards a '15 Z51, but my husband really has his heart set on the Z06. I'm just hesitant to spend $20k on a car that looks identical to the one I have. Help!

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Decision made! I posted a reply in the thread with a pic of what we chose - a 2015 Stingray Z51 3LT in Crimson Red!

Last edited by MissVroomVroom; 05-13-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-12-2015, 01:11 AM
Jeffer
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

not sure this is what you want to hear BUT

1. GS has the targa roof which is neat,

2. I would just supercharge the GS

3. then you can buy a C7 for yourself (miss not mrs ??)

THEN YOU BOTH WIN

not sure the Z06 is that much better than a supercharger and not sure the 60th anniversary package is that much of a difference,

4. did you buy the GS new and if so YOU KNOW THE MILES AND HOW IT WAS DRIVEN AND with the z06 you do not (not that big of a deal but for me it is)

if you only get one corvette then the decision is more difficult depending on the daily driver and so on like finances

later eh

Jeffer2013 (2013 cyber grey GS)
Old 05-12-2015, 01:19 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Not everybody wants or cares to throw a supercharger on their GS, it's still NO ZO6. Throw a super charger on my base 05 and you got just as much HP. I don't think she really GAF about throwing a blower on her GS. A Z is more than just than just a body kit, it's a beast!

Knowing females, you will be all smiles when you get the 60th anniversary Z, but then the woman in you will kick in and grow resentful towards him for influencing you to buy the Z instead of the car you wanted in the first place. For the sake of peace and tranquility in the marriage just get the 2015, he'll get over it and just be grateful his wife likes Corvettes instead of biga$$ suburban's etc.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:39 AM
MissVroomVroom
Advanced

Jeffer,

My husband wouldn't go for the supercharge. He really wants the Z06. Granted, in the 12 years I've owned Corvettes, he's driven them maybe twice. I didn't even want the first one, he just surprised me with it, and I wound up falling in love with it. Anyway, when someone wants to buy you something, it's hard to say no.

Mr. Nubian,

I told my husband I was thinking of holding out for a '15. He wants to get the Z06 now, and he said he'll upgrade in a year or two if I insist. Also, he's got some serious health issues that are very likely to limit the time I have left with him. I would actually feel guilty if something happened to him and I had insisted on the Z51 when he really wants the Z06.

Husband has always sort of regretted going for the Grand Sport and not holding out for a Z06. That's why he's against the Z51 and so in favor of the '13 Z06. I just done know enough about car values, and was wondering if the '10 Grand Sport to '13 Z06 for $20k was a dumb move financially.

Last edited by MissVroomVroom; 05-12-2015 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Typed wrong word
Old 05-12-2015, 01:41 AM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Personally, I would go for the C7 if that is what you want... Unless you track or race your current C6 not seeing this as a good purchase. Up to you..
Old 05-12-2015, 01:42 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The GS bashers will love it if you did.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:03 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Cycling through cars rapidly can be very costly so my advice is to make the right choice for the current reality.

As you may know, a significant number of LS7 (Z06) engines have experienced catastrophic valve issues so my advice would be to get an extended warranty on any Z06 that you might want to keep for any length of time. The ZR1 (an unmodified one) has a better service record than the Z06, is stunningly fast and available used at decent prices, perhaps that would be an option.

If a C7 Z06 is really something that you might get within the next 24 months maybe you should just go for it now and be done with it. They are awesome machines. You might have to go cross country to get one, as an example they are pretty thin out here in SoCal at the moment, but I hear that Kerbeck in New Jersey has them.

Last edited by Guard Dad; 05-12-2015 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:16 AM
PJake
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
Cycling through cars rapidly can be very costly so my advice is to make the right choice for the current reality.

As you may know, a significant number of LS7 (Z06) engines have experienced catastrophic valve issues so my advice would be to get an extended warranty on any Z06 that you might want to keep for any length of time. The ZR1 (an unmodified one) has a better service record that Z06, is stunningly fast and available used at decent prices, perhaps that would be an option.

If a C7 Z06 is really something that you might get within the next 24 months maybe you should just go for it now and be done with it. They are awesome machines. You might have to go cross country to get one, as an example they are pretty thin out here in SoCal at the moment, but I hear that Kerbeck in New Jersey has them.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:20 AM
MissVroomVroom
Advanced

Guard Dad - Had not heard of the valve issues with the Z06s. I'll do some reading up on that before I mention it to my husband.

I don't drive as often as I used to, and find it harder to justify buying new. I thought if we did opt for the '13 Z06, I'd probably keep it for at least 5 years, and maybe get a '15 in '18 or '19.

However, if I run the risk of having the engine go bad, that's definitely a deterrent.

Wildmanht - no, I don't track race! I used to drive like a race car driver in my first corvette, but age has brought some wisdom and I've slowed it down a bit.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:40 AM
zstreet86
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Z06 engine failure not worth it, keep the GS!!
Old 05-12-2015, 02:53 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Do you want an automatic transmission? Keep in mind that the C6 Z06 is a 6 speed manual only. If you want an automatic in a C6 you'll have to pass on both the Z06 and ZR1 however the C7 offers the automatic in all models.

A great deal has been written about the valve issue. I'll net it out for you. A small but significant number (perhaps 5%+/-) of Z06 engines experience excessive valve guide wear which, if undiagnosed, will eventually result in a dropped valve. Dropping a valve usually causes the total destruction of the engine costing $10k-20k to repair if you are out of warranty. GM states that the problem is limited to the early (pre 2010) LS7 but the issue still seems to persist even into the latest models of the LS7.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:01 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

It would be a kick to have more power but I have yet to find a truly safe place on the street to use the power that I have.

You might want to do a YouTube search for Corvette Crashes, you'll be surprised at how many folks get surprised by the power of a Corvette. The Z06 is a real track warrior, is that what you are after?
Old 05-12-2015, 03:12 AM
MissVroomVroom
Advanced

It would be a kick to have more power but I have yet to find a truly safe place on the street to use the power that I have.

You might want to do a YouTube search for Corvette Crashes, you'll be surprised at how many folks get surprised by the power of a Corvette. The Z06 is a real track warrior, is that what you are after?
I wouldn't drive a Corvette with an automatic transmission. Half the fun of driving that thing is the stick shift, plus it stops the beggars in their tracks... Those people who beg to drive it until I ask if they can drive a stick, and they can't!

I understand the power of the Z06. I had one for 7 years. While I did occasionally lose my mind on the interstate or a long stretch of empty road, I tend to keep my cool and drive with the goal of walking away uninjured!

So I've done a little reading on the valve issue in the last several minutes. Maybe you can answer me this... I have a guy at one local lot that specializes in repairing corvettes, and I'm comfortable with his work. If I opt for this 13 Z06, is it something I can take to him to have him check and fix if necessary? How long of a repair am I looking at. It is fixable, correct?
Old 05-12-2015, 03:15 AM
MissVroomVroom
Advanced

Also, I saw where someone else mentioned they bought a 13 Z06 because the dealer offered a CPO warranty. I guess I'd need to insist on one, just in case..??
Old 05-12-2015, 03:27 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

They can check the heads/guides for wear (the wiggle test) but the test sometimes gives a false positive for excessive wear. Most of the prices I've seen are in the $2-3k range. For that price they pull the heads and rework or replace them.

If you are getting a Z06 from a Chevy dealer and it's still under warranty I'd consider putting the $2k+ towards an extended warranty. I got a very comprehensive warranty for 6 years and 60k miles for $2k on my 2011 Grand Sport. If it breaks it's their problem.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:53 AM
MissVroomVroom
Advanced

They can check the heads/guides for wear (the wiggle test) but the test sometimes gives a false positive for excessive wear. Most of the prices I've seen are in the $2-3k range. For that price they pull the heads and rework or replace them.

If you are getting a Z06 from a Chevy dealer and it's still under warranty I'd consider putting the $2k+ towards an extended warranty. I got a very comprehensive warranty for 6 years and 60k miles for $2k on my 2011 Grand Sport. If it breaks it's their problem.

I'll call the guy that works on my Corvette tomorrow. Now I feel like I know the right questions to ask him. Now I feel like I'll be able to make the right decision for me.

I really appreciate everyone's help!
Old 05-12-2015, 06:34 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

If he doesn't drive it much, I would try to discourage him from getting the Z06. The GS is much more civilized, and it's harder to get in trouble if you decide to show off.

And if he doesn't drive it much, he will not appreciate the extra power, because someone needs to drive it frequently to feel comfortable using it.

It will ride rougher than your GS, and probably be noisier too, so if you are going to be doing most of the driving, YOU should be the one that is comfortable with the trade, not him

Get notified of new replies

To Is it worth trading a '10 Grand Sport for '13 Z06?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:05 AM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 130 Posts

Logically, with the C7 out a couple of years, a C6 Z06 is not worth $20,000 more than a similar C6 Grand Sport, even though its a different car. In fact, I don't think there was a $20,000 difference when they were brand new, especially when all 2013 C6's were so heavily discounted by most dealers.

Emotionally, the Z06 is worth whatever you can afford and want to spend. My wife spends crazy money on pocketbooks and I don't get that all. The C6 Z06 is a special car, and there is no doubt there will probably never be another motor like the LS7 . . . even the new Z06 is supercharged.

At the end of the day, I'd probably look for a ZR1 because I have read too much about the valve issues in the Z06. You should also look up the same valve issues in the 2013 427, which was a one year convertible version of the C6 with the Z06 motor . . . there are several people here who had valve issues in those cars. But if you have the cash, can afford the Z06, and thats what you guys want then go for it . . . its just money. You can just make more.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:30 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,147 Posts

You're better off getting a zr1 if you're staying c6.

Not worth going to a z. The gs is already good.

Or wait a couple of years and get a c7z. That's what I'm probably going to do
Old 05-12-2015, 09:27 AM
wrh3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need to drive the car to decide. I had a 2012 GS 3LT which I loved but one drive in the 2013 427 and my wife and I were both sold. The LS7 is way more impressive than the numbers on paper would have you think......at least that was our opinion. The Z06 should be even more impressive since it is lighter and more rigid with a fixed roof.

Cars are subjective, a friend preferred my 427 to his Z51 Stingray, he only had that car for 2 months before it got traded in. Go drive them all, a few times if you need to and think about which one speaks to you.

Quick Reply: Is it worth trading a '10 Grand Sport for '13 Z06?