C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review: Duralast Gold Ceramics on my Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 02:37 PM
PassNU
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Review: Duralast Gold Ceramics on my Grand Sport

I recently decide to replace the brakes on my Grand Sport. The stockers are just nasty dusting animals and it was time for them to go.

I originally purchased a set of StopTech Street Performance pads. For whatever reason, I couldn't get them to stop squealing. I went back to my shop and had them spend hours trying different things hoping for a change, and I still had one pad that just wouldn't stay quiet. Thanks to Amazon's awesome return policy, they took the pads back and issued a full refund.

There seemed to only be two sets of brake pads no one WHO USED THEM could say bad things about. Duralast Gold Ceramics, and on the opposite side of the spectrum, Carbotecs. After reading reviews, then anguishing over the thought of buying Autozone brake pads for my Vette, I decided to bite the bullet and give them a shot anyway.

Glad I did. Under $120 bucks delivered, and I'm quite happy.

The Duralast pads don't have the same initial bite my stockers did, I'll get that out of the way now, but I hear that about all ceramic pads. I just push the pedal down a bit harder for that initial grip, no issues.

Stopping power around town, on the highway, and even from 100mph seems spot on. No issues at all. After a high speed stop, I can stop again and have no issues.

They are dead silent.

I've yet to see any dust.

I do NOT track my car, so I can't comment on that, but I do drive the hell out of it normally, and these pads are holding up great.

A few finals words...

- This review isn't intend to say anything negative about StopTech pads. I really thing something just wasn't acting right. Bad pad? Something on my rotor not meshing well? Who knows.

- This also isn't to say Duralast pads are better than Carbotech. Let's be honest, it seems clear the Carbotech brakes are awesome. I can't even say whether they are worth the add'l cost over my Duralasts...but I can say I'm perfectly happy with what I got.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:50 PM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by PassNU
......The stockers are just nasty dusting animals and it was time for them to go....
Stopping power around town, on the highway, and even from 100mph seems spot on. No issues at all. After a high speed stop, I can stop again and have no issues.

They are dead silent.

I do NOT track my car, so I can't comment on that, but I do drive the hell out of it normally, and these pads are holding up great.

Duralasts...but I can say I'm perfectly happy with what I got.

One of the first things I did change to Duralasts ceramic brakes was to loose the brake dust. Made my silver rims look like comp rims (which I love think they came on 2012's). I don't track my car and they stop, no squeals, no issues, over 30,000 miles on the pads. Guess I will have to take a look at them while I am painting my barrels black.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:55 PM
retcav1sg
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

OP how many miles when you changed the originals? Did you do rotors too?
Old 05-16-2015, 02:56 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the review. I have been on the fence about these pads also. I'm also tired of the dust and I've never heard a bad word about the Auto Zone ceramics. I just might give them a try and Auto Zone is right around the corner from my house.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:58 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

The way I look at it, you buy a GS/Z51 option car for the upgrade in components; being the better brakes (bite and feed back) one of them.

Dusting is part of the math to a degree with the more aggressive pads (which will wear the rotors faster as well), and swapping out pads back down to a base level makes not sense: unless you bought more car then needed instead.

Its aright up there with buying a Z06, then putting A/S tires on it or complaining that it rides too stiff/has too much road feed back and installing a softer suspension.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:40 PM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Originally Posted by Dano523
The way I look at it, you buy a GS/Z51 option car for the upgrade in components; being the better brakes (bite and feed back) one of them.

Dusting is part of the math to a degree with the more aggressive pads (which will wear the rotors faster as well), and swapping out pads back down to a base level makes not sense: unless you bought more car then needed instead.

Its aright up there with buying a Z06, then putting A/S tires on it or complaining that it rides too stiff/has too much road feed back and installing a softer suspension.
Lots of people buy a GS for the looks and don't like the brake dust that comes along with the stock pads. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying the car for looks if the wheels are always dirty . Not saying this is what I did or anything, but it just seems like a reasonable response.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:53 PM
PassNU
Instructor

Originally Posted by retcav1sg
OP how many miles when you changed the originals? Did you do rotors too?
28k. Didn't need to replace, just got tired of the dust so broke down and did it. Also, no, the rotors seemed fine. Thought about it ... In hindsight a cheap thing to knock out at the same time, but not necessary.

So... if I don't track the car, but I can slam the brakes and stop just fine from 100+ mph (big plus there btw... ) , what am I losing?

Also, all ceramics typically provide lower initial bite....are you saying ceramic pads are lower end products than stock pads? That'd be incorrect. They function better in some ways, and not as good in others. The same can be said for the stockers...it depends what your criteria is. Every option has gives and takes. Depends what you're comfortable with.

While I appreciate the premise of "higher end parts" being substituted for "lower end parts", if they perform as needed, than the point is lost.

I suppose better means costs more, and dusts more, for the ability to push my pedal down with 2lbs of force vs 4lbs for the same initial result?.... Good thing I have strong legs...

Last edited by PassNU; 05-17-2015 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:31 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

28k. Didn't need to replace, just got tired of the dust so broke down and did it.

So... if I don't track the car, but I can slam the brakes and stop just fine from 100+ mph (big plus there btw... ) , what am I losing?

D
For the average driver ( like myself ) I don't feel as I am taking a step down for my GS. For the way I drive, on off ramps, a couple of 130mph blasts I probably wouldn't feel the difference, if there was even much to begin with.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:39 AM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
For the average driver ( like myself ) I don't feel as I am taking a step down for my GS. For the way I drive, on off ramps, a couple of 130mph blasts I probably wouldn't feel the difference, if there was even much to begin with.
Not trying to shave off a second a lap, its just street traffic and even with after market ceramics I bet I stop in shorter distance than 99.9% of the cars/trucks on the same road as I am.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:40 AM
Zman6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched to the Duralast Pads last month and couldn't be more pleased. No more squealing or dust, and I honestly can't feel a difference in stopping power during my spirited street driving.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:57 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Same story on my 2006 Convertible with Z51, except the pads are cheaper and I got them from Advance Auto Parts. I am very happy with them.

I wonder how long people are going to keep paying $300 for a set of brake pads? That is highway robbery.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:07 AM
Eric ray
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently decide to replace the brakes on my Grand Sport. The stockers are just nasty dusting animals and it was time for them to go.

I originally purchased a set of StopTech Street Performance pads. For whatever reason, I couldn't get them to stop squealing. I went back to my shop and had them spend hours trying different things hoping for a change, and I still had one pad that just wouldn't stay quiet. Thanks to Amazon's awesome return policy, they took the pads back and issued a full refund.

There seemed to only be two sets of brake pads no one WHO USED THEM could say bad things about. Duralast Gold Ceramics, and on the opposite side of the spectrum, Carbotecs. After reading reviews, then anguishing over the thought of buying Autozone brake pads for my Vette, I decided to bite the bullet and give them a shot anyway.

Glad I did. Under $120 bucks delivered, and I'm quite happy.

The Duralast pads don't have the same initial bite my stockers did, I'll get that out of the way now, but I hear that about all ceramic pads. I just push the pedal down a bit harder for that initial grip, no issues.

They are dead silent.

A few finals words...

- This review isn't intend to say anything negative about StopTech pads. I really thing something just wasn't acting right. Bad pad? Something on my rotor not meshing well? Who knows.

- This also isn't to say Duralast pads are better than Carbotech. Let's be honest, it seems clear the Carbotech brakes are awesome. I can't even say whether they are worth the add'l cost over my Duralasts...but I can say I'm perfectly happy with what I got.

Great pads, as stated, not recommended for track.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:13 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I had the stock padlets replaced with Hawk ceramic pads, stops fine/less dust.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:03 AM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

I am going to have to agree with the above, plus if you had black wheels you really wouldn't care about the dust.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:14 AM
johnny3
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Dura last Gold pads

I put them in my 013 GS 500 miles after I left the dealership, the inner wheel barrels were filthy, had to use a good stiff brush & a good concentrated cleaner on them to get them looking new again, took about 15 minutes each wheel to change the pads plus wheel cleaning. Car still stops like it did before & absoluteltly quiet, would reccomend the change to anybody ($84) who wants clean wheels. People with black wheels really need not make the change as their wheels will always look dirty regardless.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:50 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Put em on my GF's Highlander yesterday along with DL high carbon rotors/
Old 05-17-2015, 12:19 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Duralast Golds here and happy as a clam
NSF PS they do reduce brake dust but it is still there FYI

Last edited by Not So Fast; 05-17-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Review: Duralast Gold Ceramics on my Grand Sport

Old 05-17-2015, 05:28 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 451 Likes on 228 Posts

Any ceramic pad is good for reducing the dust. I can't recall the brand I went to when I changed, went to a brake parts site and got drilled/slotted rotors and new pads. They don't quite stop as well as the OEM pads.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:09 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
I am going to have to agree with the above, plus if you had black wheels you really wouldn't care about the dust.
Not true, black wheels with brake dust look bronze

Old 05-17-2015, 10:48 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I used the AutoZone pads on my old C5 but I would definitely put them on my C6.

Quick Reply: Review: Duralast Gold Ceramics on my Grand Sport