C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lamborghini Diablo with a Corvette LS3 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 01:34 PM
gary0006
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lamborghini Diablo with a Corvette LS3 Engine

More reliable I guess. LOL

From the article:
Make no mistake: this really is a Lamborghini Diablo. It’s not a fake or any other sort of kit car or Pontiac Fiero-based rip-off. From the outside it looks perfect; this is the Lamborghini Diablo of your dreams. But it’s what was done under the hood that we’re calling into question. You see, Renegade Hybrids, a tuning company based out of Las Vegas, Nevada, specializes in dropping GM V8 crate engines into Porsches. Yes, that means swapping out Porsche-built flat-sixes and V8s.

5 pictures and full article

Old 05-23-2015, 05:27 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Great financial and mechanical solution for stolen engine and transmission. It should perform just as good as the V12, weigh less and be MUCH easier to maintain. It would be a bitch to sell - no one wants a mule !
Old 05-23-2015, 06:31 PM
SeanMo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

If theft was the reason, I'm not sure why insurance didn't cover it. Maybe the engines and tranny are hard to get, or maybe the owner picked up a theft recovered vehicle.

What I'm getting at is if you have ever heard one of these in real life, no engine will be able to replicate the sound that the lambo v12 makes. As much as I love my vette I don't think I could be happy with a v8 in my lambo. To each his own. If the owner is happy then that's all that matters.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:36 PM
BullittEV
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

an LS3 rear mid-engine car.. interesting.

isnt it known that for weight distribution purposes its actually better to have the front mid-engine (as our C6s have? yes i know the Z06 and ZR1 are actually placed a bit closer to the middle)

Since the Diablo is an older car, wouldnt the power/efficiency be better out of the lighter-newer LS3 anyway? Probably had an older/heavier V10/12 in it?
Old 05-23-2015, 06:53 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanMo
If theft was the reason, I'm not sure why insurance didn't cover it. Maybe the engines and tranny are hard to get, or maybe the owner picked up a theft recovered vehicle.

What I'm getting at is if you have ever heard one of these in real life, no engine will be able to replicate the sound that the lambo v12 makes. As much as I love my vette I don't think I could be happy with a v8 in my lambo. To each his own. If the owner is happy then that's all that matters.
considered a total loss and taken by the insurance company?
Old 05-24-2015, 04:08 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,013 Likes on 2,171 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
considered a total loss and taken by the insurance company?
Would be my guess, and with a savage title when the insurance company wrote it off, spending the money to drop a Vt-6 and lam trans back in a savage title car made no sense.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:43 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

renegade makes a few hybrid kits that replace the factory flat 6 in the water cooled 911's and boxsters with LS motors. The Porsche wiring makes it so that the entire factory dash will work with the LS motor. There is a guy on rennlist doing a Boxster S conversion right now and is hoping to have the car built and running for less than $15k. It's hard to argue about a ls powered mid-engined 2 seat roadster with Porsche handling for about the same as a well sorted c5.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:33 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Looks like from a parts standpoint, that would be the one to have!

Get notified of new replies

To Lamborghini Diablo with a Corvette LS3 Engine

Quick Reply: Lamborghini Diablo with a Corvette LS3 Engine