C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Side Wiper Arm Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:12 AM
rdoine
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Passenger Side Wiper Arm Issue

I appear to have screwed up when replacing the blade on the passenger side wiper on my 08 C6. The arm will no longer keep the blade pressed against the windshield. The spring seems to be in place but there just is no tension holding the arm down. May be on my way to the dealer next. Has anyone had this issue with their car?
Old 05-25-2015, 09:15 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Isn't it the passenger side arm that will only come up a couple inches above the windshield? Most cars have wipers that can be moved all the way to vertical; the C6 will only do that on the driver's side (why, I have no idea). If you forced it when putting the new blade on, you could have broken the spring.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:28 AM
rdoine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Isn't it the passenger side arm that will only come up a couple inches above the windshield? Most cars have wipers that can be moved all the way to vertical; the C6 will only do that on the driver's side (why, I have no idea). If you forced it when putting the new blade on, you could have broken the spring.
You're correct. And, I did force it up to get the old blade off. The spring came off. I replaced the spring but the tension is not there. I'm sure I'm looking at a replacement arm at Corvette pricing. Crap!
Old 05-25-2015, 09:50 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I havn't replaced my wiper blades yet. Glad you posted this, so we all more careful now! You might be able to get a new arm off a salvage?

http://www.corvettesalvage.com/
Old 05-28-2015, 08:04 AM
rdoine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rdoine
I appear to have screwed up when replacing the blade on the passenger side wiper on my 08 C6. The arm will no longer keep the blade pressed against the windshield. The spring seems to be in place but there just is no tension holding the arm down. May be on my way to the dealer next. Has anyone had this issue with their car?
Well, after $86 my screw-up has been corrected. It's sad that at 65 years of age, I can't even change a wiper blade without making a costly mess. Oh well, it's done and behind me.
The following users liked this post:
RoadGlide15 (04-22-2023)
Old 05-28-2015, 09:38 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Well, after $86 my screw-up has been corrected. It's sad that at 65 years of age, I can't even change a wiper blade without making a costly mess. Oh well, it's done and behind me.
Great, got your wiper functioning.
But, in the world of Corvette $86 is peanuts so you're lucky.

BTW, what exactly was wrong? Broken spring? Bent arm?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:01 PM
rdoine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Landru
Great, got your wiper functioning.
But, in the world of Corvette $86 is peanuts so you're lucky.

BTW, what exactly was wrong? Broken spring? Bent arm?
I forced the arm past its 3 inch movement and broke something. Spring came off but I put it back on. Didn't help. So I had to replace the whole arm. It's not the $86. It's the humiliation of not being able to do something as simple as replace a wiper blade lol.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (04-22-2023)
Old 05-28-2015, 05:23 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I'm still waiting for the answer to Dawgs question. Just why does the passenger side only come up about 2-3 inches. Is this more fabulous Corvette engineering or what ??
Old 05-29-2015, 01:06 AM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm thinking of replacing the passenger side wiper arm with a C7 passenger wiper arm which does lift up straight like the driver side. It appears to be the same size and shape as the one on my '12 GS.

MT
Old 05-29-2015, 08:12 AM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MTsVette
I'm thinking of replacing the passenger side wiper arm with a C7 passenger wiper arm which does lift up straight like the driver side. It appears to be the same size and shape as the one on my '12 GS.

MT
That sounds interesting. Keep us posted on how it works out.

Steven
Old 05-29-2015, 05:00 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan
That sounds interesting. Keep us posted on how it works out.

Steven
Will do...

MT
Old 05-31-2015, 03:23 AM
LedZepper
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't feel bad. It's reasonable to expect that the wiper arm - both of them - would lift up like on any other car you've had. Live and learn, huh?
Old 05-31-2015, 05:15 AM
rdoine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LedZepper
Don't feel bad. It's reasonable to expect that the wiper arm - both of them - would lift up like on any other car you've had. Live and learn, huh?
Indeed! Thanks.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:45 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Looks like one could just remove a little metal on the side that connects to the car and it should be free to raise higher.

Never thought it was a problem myself. Even for drivers side you have to raise hood first or it will hit.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:53 PM
SloopJohnB
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default same problem here in 2023

Originally Posted by windyC6
I'm still waiting for the answer to Dawgs question. Just why does the passenger side only come up about 2-3 inches. Is this more fabulous Corvette engineering or what ??
But I'll bet the whole arm has to come off. Not that tough, just pop the cap at the bottom of the arm, unscrew the nut, pull the arm off and bob's yer uncle. Make sure you put the arm back on the exact same spline/position. Mark the windshield.
Old 04-21-2023, 03:39 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

I forced the arm past its 3 inch movement and broke something. Spring came off but I put it back on. Didn't help. So I had to replace the whole arm. It's not the $86. It's the humiliation of not being able to do something as simple as replace a wiper blade lol.
well, technically you did replace the wiper. it was your excitement that got you in trouble. don't let this exercise stop you from future repair's.
Old 04-21-2023, 03:58 PM
SloopJohnB
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I love resurrection 2015 thread...LOL

Originally Posted by cgladish
well, technically you did replace the wiper. it was your excitement that got you in trouble. don't let this exercise stop you from future repair's.
I just added to the thread in case some other PB runs into the RHS wiper issue and searches; the thread didn't cover the solution AFAIK. Perhaps now it does.

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger Side Wiper Arm Issue

Quick Reply: Passenger Side Wiper Arm Issue