C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading Stock Air Filter Worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:06 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by veloz
anything to increase the flow of air is good to the LS engines...for just the element i would use K&N
Respectfully, not a good idea. Although I have used K&N on my other cars for many years (I like the clean and reinstall aspect) it did not work on my 11 GS. It caused surging on slow speeds (search, this is confirmed with many reports as to why this can happen with aftermarket filters), the whole exahust note changed (sounded more muted and richer runing) although it gave the car a minuscule amount of pep, I was not happy with the overall behaviour. I took it off and back on few times to make sure it was not my imagination, just to compare. Than I sold the darn thing for half the price. After that I have read a report on it, although it flows the most air, it also has the lowest filtering abilty of any of the filters. I am happy with my OEM. It is good enough for my Volvo, but not for the Vette.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,838 Likes on 1,971 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Jcbarr25
The inward cone filter is an aftermarket filter. What you have on ur OEM setup is ZR1/Z06 filters.

Just so you know, that filter requires to be replaced at about 28k miles.

Thanks for the info I am going to go back to the stock set up to see if mileage improves.......
Old 05-28-2015, 01:32 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

anything to increase the flow of air is good to the LS engines...for just the element i would use K&N
I don't want to be argmentive, but that is not correct. Airflow is a matter of supply and demand. If a stock air filter system supplies "X" amount of air to the intake, and at WOT, the engine demands a maximum of 80% of "X", then no improvement can possibly be seen with any improved level of flow. That is, of course, with a STOCK engine. Changes in exhaust, cam, rocker ratios, heads, etc., will determine if more airflow is needed.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:59 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

about right IMHO..

maybe I am a f^^^ idiot but this has got to be the dumbest post I have ever read. all you people posting all this nonsense, how many of you have blown an engine from using a k&n filter? how about any other after market filter? who the hell is worried about ruining their engine from an air filter? I could understand if you off-roaded your car or drove through the desert everyday but there is no way that you are going to blow your engine from a freggin air filter.

seems to me that some people will believe anything that is posted on the internet.

just my .02

Ben
So, the reason for using an aftermarket air filter is to gain horsepower. The cost of an aftermarket washable air filter that does almost nothing to increase your performance is a lousy deal in $/hp. That is the only measurement of whether they are worth the expense. All the anecdotal "evidence" like " how many of you have blown an engine from using a k&n filter?" is just hot air to support your emotional decision to waste your money.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:00 PM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTEemotional decision to waste your money.[/QUOTE]

...now thats funny....look,,everyone has their own opinion and i wont agree or disagree. but i know this,, us adrenaline speed freaks junkies would do just about anything to extract the last drop of power out of our engines....even if that is to change the air filters...will the engine suffer any?,,,who knows,,,has it been proven that bc i changed to a HF filter my engine blew up...no...

if your engine is stock and you dont particularity care to extract more power out if it...keep it all stock.....keep it all GM...your car will probably last 300K miles.

if you want more power out of the engine have a plan and go get all the supporting parts to achieve that...maybe it would be to start with the air filter...who knows..it may last 300k too...
Old 05-28-2015, 11:39 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

As I posted before, peak HP is not the biggest benefit to me.

It is:

1. reusable so costs less long term (100$ for a paper air filter??)!!
2. Better throttle response and acceleration. The surging that someone just said is "well documented" sort of attests to this. The engine is breathing easier, that is exactly why it does this, mostly using cruise control, but who uses that!? I am not an engineer but I can conceptualize the difference between steady state air intake and a resistance of increasing "current". Acceleration is not the same as peak HP production. It is a different integral, no?

I totally agree, most contaminants that get in the air intake go out the exhaust. Hard to believe that hurts anything. Some does get into the oil. that would be why you are told to change oil more often in dusty locations, no?

I don't really buy the argument that tiny particles of dirt let in by a filter ruin an engine before I would using my right foot. But we are talking about farts and moonbeams here: none of this is barely measurable, wear or performance.

I guess it's sort of like the guy who wears two condoms... He never gets into trouble. But who can say why? ; )
Old 05-29-2015, 12:29 AM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcbarr25
The inward cone filter is an aftermarket filter. What you have on ur OEM setup is ZR1/Z06 filters.

Just so you know, that filter requires to be replaced at about 28k miles.
I checked my 2012 GS manual and it shows the GS LS3 and Z06 LS7 air filter has the same GM part #15776148; the LS9 ZR1 filter has a different GM part #25940997. The manual says to replace every 50,000 miles.

When to Inspect the Engine Air Cleaner/Filter.
Inspect the air cleaner/filter at the scheduled maintenance
intervals and replace them at the first oil change after each
80 000 km (50,000 mi) interval.

MT
Old 05-29-2015, 04:24 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

This is correct. I am not exactly sure what year they made the ZR1 filter standard for all. At least this is what I hear. See the picture that Huskerman posted shows the filter elements a lot more open than the regular one. I am assuming this is ZR1 which does require replacement more often than what you mentioned on your post.
For what you have in the LS3 and LS7 that are not ZR1 filter, they have a 50k miles lifespan.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,838 Likes on 1,971 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The more I know the more confused I get......does anyone have the different part numbers for the OEM air filters for the LS3 and the LS7 and the LS9? I thought they were all the same.....but I guess that is not right....

Here is more info to throw on the fire.....

http://www.smokinvette.com/corvettef...ad.php?t=37483

Quick Reply: Upgrading Stock Air Filter Worth it??