C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR1 Wheel/Tire Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 07:38 PM
stealth2010vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 Wheel/Tire Swap

Hi everybody, I have a 2010 M6 Grand Sport and I just put a set of OEM ZR1 wheels and Cup tires on. Three questions:

First, I don't need to re-align the car right? The O/D of the tires is about the same, though the ZR1 tires are 10mm wider.

Second question: They came with a set of cup tires already installed, although they are down to 3/32. When I took the car on the test drive i couldn't put anything down in 1st and could barely hook up in 2nd. Do cup tires need a lot more heat than my old michelin super sports or are these tires just old/heat cycled out?

Third question: The ZR1 wheels are going to be my daily driving wheels, anybody got some good non-runflat tire suggestions? Seems like nitto makes the only non-runflat 3xx/25/20 tire out there. Unless 3xx/30/20 is compatible? Okay, enough questions for one post...
Old 05-26-2015, 12:36 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If you're unsure about the previous alignment, you should get one done using the PFADT street/track settings.

Post on the Northwest Regional Forum for some shop recommendations. There are a few good ones on the Eastside/Bellevue/Kirkland area. And/or call Corvettes of Auburn for some advice, you should get to know these guys for future servicing, best Vette shop in the NW.

Stay with the 30's in front and 25's in the rear to maintain the correct overall diameters with 19"/20" wheels.

I've been very happy with my Nitto Invo's (non-runflats). I used Discount Tire for installation and they met the best on-line price I could find.

All the tires I've had on my C6, GY, Michelin and the Nitto's need to be warm and the weather has to be in the upper 60's for the tires to really hook up well.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:14 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

you do not need to realign the car, just because of a wheel/tire swap.

Signed - the alignment guy
Old 05-26-2015, 12:35 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Continental Extreme DW in OEM ZR1 sizes are available.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:23 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

I just ordered some machined face Cup wheels and was just looking at the same ZR1 sized tire options, as well for my Z06. I went with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports ZP's, although the rears were on backorder with an estimated arrival of two to three weeks from Michelin.

Got them for the same price as TireRack at Discount Tire without even asking, with the Michelin rebate for another $100 off, as well as another $60 for using their credit card which also lets me lay out the payments for 12 months at zero interest. I love borrowing other people's money for 12 months for free!

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

If you really don't want runflats (especially for a daily driver?,) I concur on the Continental ExtremeContact DW's. Available in ZR1 sizes, they have an excellent dry and wet traction. 340 UTQG, AA wet traction, and temperature A. Check TireRack and see if you can get your local Discount Tire to order them at the same prices.

Last edited by BigVette427; 05-26-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:34 PM
stealth2010vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses! I hadn't heard of the Continentals but they look like a good tire for a really good price. The local discount tire was having trouble locating a set, but I'm in no rush.

I don't want runflats since I've had them before and they've been just awful compared to their non-runflat equivalent. I also pretty much stay within a ~50mile radius and have AAA.

However, the non-runflat pilot SS are awesome tires. I have those on my 19/18 GS wheels and they've been fantastic, so I would imagine the ZP versions have to be pretty good too.

I have to say though, after another day of driving I'm really getting worried about these cup tires on the rear. They've got 3/32 of tread and the local tire discounter did an inspection and gave them an OK, but they can't hook up on the street at all. Maybe they just need a LOT of heat to get sticky, but I guess I'll find out at the track on Thursday.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:18 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

My Continental Extreme DW's just arrived Tuesday and are sitting in storage waiting until my current run-flat rears get below 3/32".

TireRack has the Continental Extreme DW in ZR1 sizes available but you can't order
them online because of limited quantities of the rears.

Just call the 1-800 number and they will process your order over the phone.

They were $500 less than Nitto Invo's for the set.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Wheel/Tire Swap

Quick Reply: ZR1 Wheel/Tire Swap