C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking oil pan pics please

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:53 PM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Leaking oil pan pics please

I have read threads about how common this is with the C6. It made me check my car, and my 2012 is starting to weep around the front passenger side bolts, and the upper and lower pans have a oily film on them.

Can we get some pics posted of different degrees of oil pan leaks? What are some pics that would be borderline to being necessary to be taken to the dealer for a drivetrain warranty replacement? How about some just starting to show a leak. What are some really bad ones?

Old 05-28-2015, 07:12 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Sorry but no pictures of my leak prior to repair. As I remember it, thin residue of oil on side and around bolt holes on passenger side. Blow by on parts of car behind pan but not wet. More like a thin film or stain. Repaired under GMPP. 2008 model. Leak occurred in 2011.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:24 PM
pmt67usa
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedUp
I have read threads about how common this is with the C6. It made me check my car, and my 2012 is starting to weep around the front passenger side bolts, and the upper and lower pans have a oily film on them.

Can we get some pics posted of different degrees of oil pan leaks? What are some pics that would be borderline to being necessary to be taken to the dealer for a drivetrain warranty replacement? How about some just starting to show a leak. What are some really bad ones?

Here's a recent pic of my oil pan. I've now cleaned it completely and re-torqued all the pan bolts in the hope that it will stop the minor seepage.
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2015, 07:29 PM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pmt67usa
Here's a recent pic of my oil pan. I've now cleaned it completely and re-torqued all the pan bolts in the hope that it will stop the minor seepage.
That was from a minor leak ?
Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by pmt67usa
Can you get at all of the pan bolts without moving the steering rack or did you just re-torque the ones you could get to? Assuming several cannot be reached but you said all. Just curious.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:32 PM
pmt67usa
Instructor

That was from a minor leak ?
This picture is from a Motorsports shop doing an inspection for a potential buyer...they called it minor....no drips nor oil liquid in quantity just minor seepage. BTW, this scared off the buyer..
Old 05-28-2015, 07:36 PM
pmt67usa
Instructor

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Can you get at all of the pan bolts without moving the steering rack or did you just re-torque the ones you could get to? Assuming several cannot be reached but you said all. Just curious.
Good question....I didn't do it...the Chevrolet dealer that services the car did. I hope so....))
Old 05-28-2015, 08:25 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
I have a small (minor) leak, based on prior posts I tried to tighten the pan bolts, was able to get to about 6 of them while laying on the ground. All 6 were tight, good enough for me.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:48 PM
rado63
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It would be nice to see photos and post the year and mileage of your car. I will add a photo as soon as I can take one.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:39 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

My 08 had the leak repaired under wsarranty at about 36K. I don't know if the pan has a gasket or uses the same sealer as the new LT1 engine. If it uses a gasket it might be possibe to re-tourque the pan bolts. If it uses the sealer then it will have to be removed, cleaned and resealed. I would check with the parts counter to determine if a gasket is used.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:34 AM
mlicker
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

2008 w/36k just purchased back in Feb '15 out of state. Chevy dealer stated it was perfect with no issues before we put down a deposit and flew one way to buy it. After an 1800 mile drive home I found this. They helped with 50% of the $1100 repair done at my local Chevy dealer. I'm happy with that and the price we paid for the car was a very good deal IMO.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:55 PM
pmt67usa
Instructor

UPDATE:

I had the car inspected yesterday after ~ 1,000 miles since I had the oil pan bolts re-torqued. Perfectly dry..))

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking oil pan pics please

Quick Reply: Leaking oil pan pics please