C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering help??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 08:32 AM
kimdjay
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Steering help??

This is a weird one. I started to notice noise in the steering when making turns at slower speeds and the wheel turned harder. So I checked the PS fluid level. Whoa! I found it to be basically empty. Here's the odd part. I have never ever noticed any sort of drippage or anything under the car and I don't see any sign of excessive oil etc in the overall engine area. At least from the top...

Any ideas? that stuff doesn't just evaporate over time right?
Old 05-29-2015, 10:17 AM
STS_Texas
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the hose where it connects to the PS Rack. I had a small leak there and the fans were blowing it back on the engine; it wasn't a big leak, but over time it would drain the resevoire.....

Originally Posted by kimdjay
This is a weird one. I started to notice noise in the steering when making turns at slower speeds and the wheel turned harder. So I checked the PS fluid level. Whoa! I found it to be basically empty. Here's the odd part. I have never ever noticed any sort of drippage or anything under the car and I don't see any sign of excessive oil etc in the overall engine area. At least from the top...

Old 01-19-2016, 03:03 PM
COCO RICK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kimdjay

Here's a bump.

Just experienced the same exact thing.
Did you discover the problem?
Rick
Old 01-19-2016, 03:38 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

It is common on vettes that the steering rack oil lines will seep, look from the top on the drivers side with a flash light at the connections. Mine was leaking from the factory, tightened them and problem solved. It is small enough not to be noticeable but can add up over time.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:39 PM
COCO RICK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
It is common on vettes that the steering rack oil lines will seep, look from the top on the drivers side with a flash light at the connections. Mine was leaking from the factory, tightened them and problem solved. It is small enough not to be noticeable but can add up over time.
Thanks for the reply and advice. First thing tomorrow I'll check that out.
Shame on me for never checking that (PS) fluid. I'm in there once a month to do the Ranger method on the clutch. I have no idea how long the reservoir was empty. Never looked until the pump groaned. Got the car home (couple miles) shut it off and ordered some AC Delco fluid on amazon, which will arrive tomorrow. I'll fill it up and cross my fingers.
Rick
Old 01-20-2016, 03:29 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by COCO RICK
Thanks for the reply and advice. First thing tomorrow I'll check that out.
Shame on me for never checking that (PS) fluid. I'm in there once a month to do the Ranger method on the clutch. I have no idea how long the reservoir was empty. Never looked until the pump groaned. Got the car home (couple miles) shut it off and ordered some AC Delco fluid on amazon, which will arrive tomorrow. I'll fill it up and cross my fingers.
Rick
Hey no damage done. Who remembers to check the power steering reservoir? They are usually so good that you never have to check it. Here on the CF I noticed many posts where either a dealer shop or the person who noticed that the lines were not tight enough and leaking, myself and also a good forum buddy who purchased a brand new C6 who had exactly the same problem. It looks like it is a thing to keep yours eyes open in C6,s but once they are properly tightened never a problem again. Lets hope yours is just as simple, logic says it has to be. Let us know what you find.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering help??

Quick Reply: Power Steering help??