C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can i replace a base stock ls2 cam with a newer Ls model cam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 11:26 PM
jorgep951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can i replace a base stock ls2 cam with a newer Ls model cam?

My car is in the shop right now i have a base 2007. The lifter and cam needs to be replaced and i was wondering if i can replace it with a newer model one from a newer vette without havin to change anything else or mess with the computer. And if so, will it make a difference in my car? Thanks.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:02 AM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Changing the cam spec will always require a tune of some sort as you are basically changing the fuel burning scenario.... no way to avoid it.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:20 AM
EVILFACE
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

A LS7 cam would give you a little bit of a bump, but not worth time to install it or pay someone to.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:55 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

If you need a new cam and lifters, I would go with a nice after market one. any way you do it will require a tune unless you install an LS2 factory cam. If you are looking for a little more HP, I am not sure a cam only will help that much. I would look at headers to go along with it, and for a good performance increase heads or wt least some head work.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:05 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

GM already thought of boosting hp with a higher performance cam. That is why you have the one you already have. An engine is a large set of compromises that are all designed to work together. The LS engines have cams that work with everything else as a unit to get the most bang for the buck. If you want to start changing things you need to be looking at more than just the cam. You need to look at some of the package deals vendors offer. Changing the cam alone will do little.

Get notified of new replies

To Can i replace a base stock ls2 cam with a newer Ls model cam?

Quick Reply: Can i replace a base stock ls2 cam with a newer Ls model cam?