C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior heat in the C6

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 11:36 PM
Lew Shaw
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Interior heat in the C6

In it's infinite wisdom, GM routed the exhaust directly under the console and unwanted interior heat is a problem. I have insulated everything I could and still the heat in the console measures 120 degrees +. Does anyone have any experience with the Elite Engineering 1/4" thick aluminum, ceramic coated Tunnel Plate with Thermal-Abs? The company claims a MINIMUM of 50 degree drop in temperature. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks!
Lew Shaw
Old 06-05-2015, 01:46 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Lew Shaw
In it's infinite wisdom, GM routed the exhaust directly under the console and unwanted interior heat is a problem. I have insulated everything I could and still the heat in the console measures 120 degrees +. Does anyone have any experience with the Elite Engineering 1/4" thick aluminum, ceramic coated Tunnel Plate with Thermal-Abs? The company claims a MINIMUM of 50 degree drop in temperature. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks!
Lew Shaw
GM shoulda gone with side pipes...loved those.
I have not experienced much noticeable heat in either my '05 vert or '11 GS vert. I know some folks have, tho.
Sorry, I can't help ya.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:14 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

You may not want or need to have the complete torque plate replaced.

I insulated the bottom of my OEM aluminum tunnel plate with Thermo-Tec 13575 12" X 24" Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier (from Amazon) and it made a huge difference in the inside console heat. I did have the torque plate off when I stuck it to the bottom of it, and I drilled out the mounting holes, and trimmed the edges to fit. I just installed it on the front section.

I keep about $10 in quarters (in a ziplock bag) in the console, and it would almost burn your hands sometimes, before I did this. Now the bag barely gets warm.

I did not do a before and after temp reading, I should have.....

I have LG Super Pro headers on mine, so the cats are directly under the console, this mod really helped.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:50 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My cousin has a tunnel plate on his 07 coupe, but really I haven't noticed much difference between my 07 coupe and his as far as the heat is concerned. But really I don't have much of a problem with it in mine.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Lew Shaw
Instructor

Thank you, that seems like a viable alternative and at a cost of under $100 is worth a try. Do I understand correctly that you apply it to the outside of the plate, facing the exhaust pipes?
Lew Shaw

Originally Posted by Seadawg

I insulated the bottom of my OEM aluminum tunnel plate with Thermo-Tec 13575 12" X 24" Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier (from Amazon) and it made a huge difference in the inside console heat. I did have the torque plate off when I stuck it to the bottom of it, and I drilled out the mounting holes, and trimmed the edges to fit. I just installed it on the front section.

I keep about $10 in quarters (in a ziplock bag) in the console, and it would almost burn your hands sometimes, before I did this. Now the bag barely gets warm.

I have LG Super Pro headers on mine, so the cats are directly under the console, this mod really helped.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:28 AM
JacksAO
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Lew, I've have that exact plate on my car. I bought it because I was having the same issue with heat in the center console. It helped a bit but, not as much as I hoped for. On short runs it helped but, on longer ones it still gets warmer than I like. One thing it did help with was that it really reduced the body flex. Would I buy it again just for the heat reduction I'd say no but, because of the slight reduction of heat and the reduced body flex yes I'd buy it again.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Lew Shaw
Instructor

At 73 years young I'm not the boy racer I used to be, so body flex is not really an issue. I believe I'll try the heat shield fro Amazon first. I do thank you for your info, I thought their claims might be a tad off base.
Lew Shaw

Originally Posted by JacksAO
Lew, I've have that exact plate on my car. I bought it because I was having the same issue with heat in the center console. It helped a bit but, not as much as I hoped for. On short runs it helped but, on longer ones it still gets warmer than I like. One thing it did help with was that it really reduced the body flex. Would I buy it again just for the heat reduction I'd say no but, because of the slight reduction of heat and the reduced body flex yes I'd buy it again.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:19 PM
VetteNGT500
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seadawg

I was replacing my tunnel plate and did exactly this , except I used DEI 050501 2' x 21" Floor and Tunnel Shield - 3.5 sq. ft. I also have insulated/sound proofed my interior, I no longer have a heat issue, and I'm running 1 7/8" headers, ceramic coated inside and out, this solved the problem for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior heat in the C6

Quick Reply: Interior heat in the C6