C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking top

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:02 AM
Jack Forbes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clicking top

How do I remove top and what do I use to stop clicking roof
Old 06-08-2015, 09:05 AM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Move your visors and you will two handles, turn them. Front is not loose.
in the back right before the halo you will see another handle press that.. then lift the top off.

to fix squeaking.. e-clips for the front rollers, o-rings for the posts and shrink wrap for the posts (along with verifying that they are actually not loose) has all been used successfully. Just depends on where the noise is coming from.

Taking the top off is easy. if it takes more than a minute, you are probably working to hard on it. Just be careful of heat (painted or glass tops do get very hot in the sun) and make sure you have a soft place to set it down once you do have it off. It's not heavy. maybe 25LBs or so (or less) it's a little bulky, though so make sure you have a good grip on it especially if it's windy! Most important, do make sure you latch all three latches when putting it back on or you may joing the FRC club!

My top lives in the back of my C6 as much as it does in place above the seats!
Old 06-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

A little white lithium grease applied around the posts & areas, fixed my top noise..
Old 06-08-2015, 09:38 AM
Jack Forbes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clicking top

Originally Posted by bhoch
Move your visors and you will two handles, turn them. Front is not loose.
in the back right before the halo you will see another handle press that.. then lift the top off.

to fix squeaking.. e-clips for the front rollers, o-rings for the posts and shrink wrap for the posts (along with verifying that they are actually not loose) has all been used successfully. Just depends on where the noise is coming from.

Taking the top off is easy. if it takes more than a minute, you are probably working to hard on it. Just be careful of heat (painted or glass tops do get very hot in the sun) and make sure you have a soft place to set it down once you do have it off. It's not heavy. maybe 25LBs or so (or less) it's a little bulky, though so make sure you have a good grip on it especially if it's windy! Most important, do make sure you latch all three latches when putting it back on or you may joing the FRC club!

My top lives in the back of my C6 as much as it does in place above the seats!
what are and where do e clip come from and tell me about the shrink wrap and where do I find them and how to install I found the o rings HELP
Old 06-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

If you have your manual in the glove box it gives detailed instructions on removing and re-installing your top.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:48 AM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Forbes
what are and where do e clip come from and tell me about the shrink wrap and where do I find them and how to install I found the o rings HELP

e-clps http://www.autozone.com/screws-pins-and-clips/e-clip

I used them on the little rollers (1 each ) that are part of the front latches. I can't remember but I think it was the 3/16th size.

Shrink wrap at any electronics store (they also have it at Home Depot, lowes, etc..) I have not needed to try that. as with my top the issue was with the front rollers in the latches.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Service it
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...p-service.html
NSF
Old 06-08-2015, 09:16 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

None of the stated remedies has stopped my transparent top from creaking. These days I just turn up the radio.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:17 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyLee
None of the stated remedies has stopped my transparent top from creaking. These days I just turn up the radio.
How do you stand it, VERY ANNOYING!!!!!!!! Something has to work.
NSF
Old 06-08-2015, 10:49 PM
Walkthedog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Clicking top

I recently bought a 2011 GS and everything was great except for the creaking cracking popping top. After reviewing all posted remedies, I tightened one of the front pins and installed the extra rubber o-rings and then cleaned the rubber seal with 303 and lastly I cleaned the pins and re silicon greased them.
I don't know what did the trick, but the top has not made a peep since

Thank you fellow Forum members for the info.
Good luck to the OP
Old 06-09-2015, 08:45 PM
b09676
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Walkthedog
I recently bought a 2011 GS and everything was great except for the creaking cracking popping top. After reviewing all posted remedies, I tightened one of the front pins and installed the extra rubber o-rings and then cleaned the rubber seal with 303 and lastly I cleaned the pins and re silicon greased them.
I don't know what did the trick, but the top has not made a peep since

Thank you fellow Forum members for the info.
Good luck to the OP
One additional note is that it is easier if you lower the windows before removing the top. i learned that after many removals when I simply forgot to lower windows.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:06 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Here is a pic of where the e-clip goes if you want to install them.
5/32" e-clip
Shrink wrap is in the electrical department. Fit over post, and then heat it with a heat gun, and it will shrink on the post tightly.
As mentioned, make sure your posts are tightened.

Get notified of new replies

To Clicking top

Quick Reply: Clicking top