C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car2U Help: Conversion Module

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 12:02 PM
pwnstars44
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car2U Help: Conversion Module

Hey everyone,
I am sure this topic has been covered many times, but I have tried searching for the solution all over this forum (as long as various other forums) and have had no luck.

I recently purchased a '08 ZO6 and realized I was unable to program my Car2U visor transmitter, to my Marantec garage door opener. When searching the forums the only two solutions I found were to call Lear Car2U and request for a module, or replace the system with a homelink.

I really just want to obtain the conversion module that works Marantec/Car2u, but cannot find this module anywhere! Through my research I found that the module I need should be the Walter-Dalton Conversion Module for Car2U (Part# WDRR-372R). It seems that this has been discontinued for quite some time.

Does anyone have a module they can sell to me? Or a reference of a different module that will work with my Car2U system. Please help!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:25 AM
pwnstars44
Cruising

Maybe someone can help me out today??
Old 06-11-2015, 10:44 PM
tns
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Programming Car2U

Unless your Car2U transmitter is broken, you should be able to make it work with any garage door opener. The Car2U works just like the Homelink (I have had and used both), so switching to a Homelink will gain you nothing - unless the Car2U is actually broken.

The instructions for programming the Car2U are in the Owner's Manual (at least they are for the 2013 C6 - look under the Garage Door Opener Programming in the index). The first thing you need to know is, are the garage door openers fixed code or rolling code? You need to know this because the two types of openers are programmed differently, as specified in the manual. Most openers made after 1996 are rolling code (which are actually easier to program, but you do have to follow the directions carefully).

One tip that may not be covered in the manual is that the car does NOT want to be in the garage when programming the opener. Park the car outside the garage during programming.

Good luck with the programming. PM if you want, I will help if I can.

Terry
Old 06-11-2015, 10:56 PM
pwnstars44
Cruising

Thank you for the information you provided,but I've tried connecting it to my Marantec garage door opener using the method described in the manual . It seems as if many other people had the same issue, as I found some cases on this forum along with some on the Ford forums. From my understanding it doesn't run on the same frequency as the garage door opener.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:07 PM
tns
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by pwnstars44
Thank you for the information you provided,but I've tried connecting it to my Marantec garage door opener using the method described in the manual . It seems as if many other people had the same issue, as I found some cases on this forum along with some on the Ford forums. From my understanding it doesn't run on the same frequency as the garage door opener.
What model is your Marantec garage door opener?
Old 06-12-2015, 07:34 AM
pwnstars44
Cruising

M-4500
Old 06-12-2015, 07:45 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

You already know, of course, that the Car2U does not work with any model of Marantec opener. http://www.marantecamerica.com/pda/faq.html?faq=24

I did not call Lear to check your number but if you just need the Wayne Dalton unit http://www.smarthome-products.com/p-...on-module.aspx says they will sell it to you.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:17 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

It would also appear that you could just replace the receiver with another from a company like Chamberlain. They usually are just 2 wires to the opener that make contact to start the door moving. The Marantec operators manual shows how to wire a door bell button..
Old 06-12-2015, 03:12 PM
pwnstars44
Cruising

Thank you for your insight. I'll call that company to see if they still sell that unit. If not, I'll go the receiver route as you recommended. This seems like my best option!

I plan on posting back my results as my search was unsuccessful due to everything being out of date
Old 06-12-2015, 03:20 PM
DinkyDonut
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had issues with the Car2U in my 427 as well; we have Chamberlain/Liftmaster 8500 openers, and I haven't been able to get them to work.

I know it doesn't relate to Marantec, but for anyone searching and finding this thread; the Lear Car2U repeater module is required to get a Chamberlain, Liftmaster or Craftsman opener to work.

http://www.liftmaster.com/CatalogRes...s/114A4361.pdf
Old 06-12-2015, 08:45 PM
tns
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DinkyDonut
I've had issues with the Car2U in my 427 as well; we have Chamberlain/Liftmaster 8500 openers, and I haven't been able to get them to work.

I know it doesn't relate to Marantec, but for anyone searching and finding this thread; the Lear Car2U repeater module is required to get a Chamberlain, Liftmaster or Craftsman opener to work.

http://www.liftmaster.com/CatalogRes...s/114A4361.pdf
DinkyDonut,

We have 1 Genie opener and 2 Craftsman openers on our garage doors, and they are all the rolling code type.

My wife's Lincoln MKZ and my 2013 C6 both have Car2U.

Both cars operate all three doors, and since I installed the openers, I know that there is no repeater module of any brand installed.

I read the website that states Car2U remotes are not compatible with Marantec openers, but I do not understand why. My Craftsman remotes are 315 MHz (as is the Marantec M-4500). If anyone knows why Marantec openers are not compatible with Car2U, it would be interesting to hear the explanation.

Terry
Old 06-13-2015, 08:41 AM
kennya35
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Chamberlain that I bought a year or two ago and have never been able to get my 12GS to work with it. The number for Lear is not working anymore, they just tell you to go to their website. If anyone in Oklahoma has been able to get theirs to work, come by, i'll have some cold brew waiting for you!!!

I have tried several times to get mine to work to no avail. Put the car in the garage, outside the garage, everything. My wife's Mercedes, took me all of 2 minutes to get it working. Her Camaro before that, again, a couple of minutes, so I don't think it is me. I just cant for the life of me get mine to work.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:51 AM
tns
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by kennya35
I have a Chamberlain that I bought a year or two ago and have never been able to get my 12GS to work with it. The number for Lear is not working anymore, they just tell you to go to their website. If anyone in Oklahoma has been able to get theirs to work, come by, i'll have some cold brew waiting for you!!!

I have tried several times to get mine to work to no avail. Put the car in the garage, outside the garage, everything. My wife's Mercedes, took me all of 2 minutes to get it working. Her Camaro before that, again, a couple of minutes, so I don't think it is me. I just cant for the life of me get mine to work.
Did you erase all of the old codes from the opener before you tried to add a new code? The openers I know about will only hold codes for 3 remotes, so you have to erase the old ones before adding a new one. And you have to delete ALL of the old codes at once, then reprogram with the remotes you are planning to use. You can't delete just one code and add one new one. At least for my Craftsman openers that is the way it is. I think the Genie works this way as well.

Last edited by tns; 06-13-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:38 PM
kennya35
Pro

Yep, erased all the previous codes from my car. I think I have seen a couple different ways to do this and have tried them all. It sure seems like people such as yourself have been able to make these things work, but others have not and decided to go with the repeater. So I am still holding out hope that I can get it done...I just haven't been able to figure it out yet!
Old 06-13-2015, 01:34 PM
tns
Heel & Toe

Yep, erased all the previous codes from my car. I think I have seen a couple different ways to do this and have tried them all. It sure seems like people such as yourself have been able to make these things work, but others have not and decided to go with the repeater. So I am still holding out hope that I can get it done...I just haven't been able to figure it out yet!
The old codes must be erased from the opener.

Usually this is done by pressing and holding the Learn button on the remote until the LEDs on the opener flash one or more times depending on the brand of the opener. Then the reprogramming of the opener can begin.
Don't give up. This really should work.

Terry
Old 06-13-2015, 03:15 PM
tns
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by tns
The old codes must be erased from the opener.

Usually this is done by pressing and holding the Learn button on the remote until the LEDs on the opener flash one or more times depending on the brand of the opener. Then the reprogramming of the opener can begin.
Don't give up. This really should work.

Terry
The Learn button is on the opener, not on the remote!

Here are the steps I used to reprogram my rolling code type garage door openers after trading a 2002 Corvette for a 2013 Corvette, so our cars with Car2U would operate all 3 garage doors and my 2002 Corvette would not open any of them.

1. Erase all garage door opener memory.
Press and hold the Learn button on each garage door opener until the LED on that opener goes out (press and hold for about 6 seconds on my Craftsman openers, or about 10 seconds on my Genie opener). The time required varies by manufacturer.

2. Erase memory in the Car2U remotes (which are on the sunvisors in the cars). Complete steps 2 and 3 for one car before moving on to the next car.

Note: Individual buttons on the Car2U cannot be erased individually. When you erase, you will erase all three buttons - left, middle, and right, so you have to reprogram all the cars you will use to open the garage doors after the erasing.

Put the Corvette in RAP (Retained Accessory Power) mode by pressing the bottom part of the ignition switch. Cars with a traditional ignition switch will want to be in ON mode but may not want the engine to be running. Then press and hold the left and right Car2U buttons simultaneously for 20 seconds, until the indicator lights blink. When the indicator lights blink, release both left and right buttons. Blinking of the indicator lights indicates all codes in the Car2U have been cleared.

3. Program the opener (assumes you have a rolling code type opener - programming is different for a fixed code opener and is not included here since none of my doors are the fixed code type). Complete the programming for all Car2U buttons you will use in this car before moving on to the next car.

3.a. Press and hold the left and right Car2U buttons for 1 to 2 seconds, which tells the Car2U that you will be programming a rolling code type opener.

3.b. Press the Learn button on opener for the door you want to control for the left button. You could use any button of the three Car2u buttons since it does not matter what in order the buttons are programmed, but my example assumes the left button.

3.c. Within 30 seconds of performing step 3.b., press and hold the left button on the Car2U for the car being programmed. Release the left button on the Car2U as quickly as possible after the lights on the garage door opener flash. You must have working light bulbs in the garage door opener for this programming method to work. The lights on the Car2U will flash rapidly until programming is complete.

Now the left button will open and close the garage door. You can now program the other Car2U buttons as needed starting with step 3. Don't repeat step 2, since that step will erase the Car2U remote you just successfully.

After one car was programmed to control all 3 garage doors, then I moved on to program the Car2U in another car starting with step 2. Don't repeat step 1, since that will erase the openers' memory of the car you just successfully programmed.

Good luck with the programming. It does take a few minutes, and it is easier if you have someone else to help you, and you may have to try more than once to get a garage door opener to program. I actually wrote out my plan for each of 3 cars before I started, assigning specific buttons in each car to control each specific door because it was confusing otherwise.

Once the programming is done, it is extremely nice not to have the remotes for the openers taking up limited space in the cars.

Terry
Old 06-13-2015, 05:52 PM
kennya35
Pro

I was going to ask you whether you were talking about the Car2U opener or the actual garage door openers that came with the Chamberlain. Ill give your steps a try, hopefully tomorrow. Do you think I need to erase the opener in my wife's car even though it is homelink? If ALL the codes need to be erased for/in the Chamberlain then I would assume so, but thought I would ask. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Car2U Help: Conversion Module

Old 06-13-2015, 08:57 PM
tns
Heel & Toe

I was going to ask you whether you were talking about the Car2U opener or the actual garage door openers that came with the Chamberlain. Ill give your steps a try, hopefully tomorrow. Do you think I need to erase the opener in my wife's car even though it is homelink? If ALL the codes need to be erased for/in the Chamberlain then I would assume so, but thought I would ask. Thanks!
kennya35,

All of my references to a remote in my last post refer to the Car2U remote which is installed on the sunvisor of your car. The remote transmits a coded signal to the opener.

In all cases where I refer to an opener, I mean the garage door opener (made by Craftsman, Chamberlain, Liftmaster and others) which actually opens the garage door. The garage door opener contains a module which receives the coded signal from the remote.

Yes, I believe you do need to erase the Homelink remote as well as the Car2U remote. Otherwise, you are not starting from a clean initial starting point, and your results may not be predictable.

Reading over my post, I remembered one other thing. In step 3.c., I said to release the button as soon as possible after the lights on the garage door opener flash. This is correct for the Craftsman openers I have, but some openers will instead open or close the garage door when the proper code has been transmitted. This is a function of the opener, not the remote, so the indication that the code is correct will work the same way for the Car2U as the Homelink remote.

Hope things work correctly for you. I am sure others are interested in your results, so let us know how it goes.

Terry
Old 06-14-2015, 11:10 AM
tns
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by tns
Unless your Car2U transmitter is broken, you should be able to make it work with any garage door opener. The Car2U works just like the Homelink (I have had and used both), so switching to a Homelink will gain you nothing - unless the Car2U is actually broken.

The instructions for programming the Car2U are in the Owner's Manual (at least they are for the 2013 C6 - look under the Garage Door Opener Programming in the index). The first thing you need to know is, are the garage door openers fixed code or rolling code? You need to know this because the two types of openers are programmed differently, as specified in the manual. Most openers made after 1996 are rolling code (which are actually easier to program, but you do have to follow the directions carefully).

One tip that may not be covered in the manual is that the car does NOT want to be in the garage when programming the opener. Park the car outside the garage during programming.

Good luck with the programming. PM if you want, I will help if I can.

Terry
In the process of working on this post, I have learned that there IS one significant difference in the way the Car2U and Homelink remotes are programmed. The Homelink is able to receive and copy a signal from another remote (typically one that came with the garage door opener) and the Car2U is not able to copy the signal from another remote. The Car2U requires that there is a Learn mode on the garage door opener being programmed, which listens to the remote while the remote tries different codes until correlation occurs.

The Marantec M-4500 owners manual (Google it on the web, if interested) shows how to teach a Homelink unit the code from the Marantec remote, and this method uses the Homelink's capability to copy the RF signal from another remote. Since the Car2U does not have this capability, the Car2U cannot be programmed this way. There may be some other way to program the Car2U to control a Marantec opener, but the manual does not specify how to do this.

Some have suggested on this forum that one way to solve the problem is to buy a pre-2007 driver's sunvisor which does include a Homelink, but it may be cheaper to install a new garage door opener.

Terry
Old 06-14-2015, 06:58 PM
DinkyDonut
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tns
DinkyDonut,

We have 1 Genie opener and 2 Craftsman openers on our garage doors, and they are all the rolling code type.

My wife's Lincoln MKZ and my 2013 C6 both have Car2U.

Both cars operate all three doors, and since I installed the openers, I know that there is no repeater module of any brand installed.

I read the website that states Car2U remotes are not compatible with Marantec openers, but I do not understand why. My Craftsman remotes are 315 MHz (as is the Marantec M-4500). If anyone knows why Marantec openers are not compatible with Car2U, it would be interesting to hear the explanation.

Terry
Hi Terry,

A rolling code is not simply a rolling code. Just because Lear supports one kind of rolling code doesn't mean they support another.

You probably have older Craftsman openers, or some that aren't relabeled Chamberlain/Liftmaster units.

According to Chamberlain, Lear never has used any of their rolling codes, and thus a Car2U cobtroller will not be able to trigger any of their rolling code openers. Chamberlain did supply Johnson Controls with their Security+ 2.0 rolling codes in 2006 for inclusion in 2007 model year cars with Homelink controllers.

Proof of the above plus additional reading posted by Chamberlain/Liftmaster can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/liftmaster/faqs-about-the-homelink-repeater-kit-for-liftmaster-models-8360-8550/221439917914472?_rdr

Quick Reply: Car2U Help: Conversion Module