C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best replacement tires (non + runflats)?

Old 06-26-2015, 03:30 PM
kthomas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best replacement tires (non + runflats)?

I had my stock tires replaced with the Pilot Sport A/S Plus Run-Flat back in April '11. I went to have my tires checked and one rear and one front need to be replaced. So I'm looking for suggestions on which tires some of you are putting on your car.

I typically drive about 6-10k a year. It's mostly for short trips or on the weekends. It's not really a daily driver, but I drive it year round.

I don't really care if its runflat or not, but all I've had so far on this vette are runflats.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-26-2015, 03:35 PM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

☕️☕️☕️
Old 06-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Ohhhhh, kt. You have ask the question for the ages. You'll get more opinions than Obama has bad ideas. But here goes. I went with non run flats for a quieter, and smoother ride. I have a plug kit, and pump in the trunk just in case. I have been quite pleased with my decision.

Now let the fun began.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:39 PM
kthomas
Racer

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Ohhhhh, kt. You have ask the question for the ages. You'll get more opinions than Obama has bad ideas. But here goes. I went with non run flats for a quieter, and smoother ride. I have a plug kit, and pump in the trunk just in case. I have been quite pleased with my decision.

Now let the fun began.
I'm looking for suggestions of which ones and how well they've held up so far. I'm not really looking to debate the runflat vs. non ... just what people have experienced so far.

My Pilot Sport A/S Plus Run-Flat didn't last but 17k ... so are there better out there?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:05 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

I went with Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-RF about a year and 8K miles ago. Rides quiet and smooth, lots of grip. I have Z51 and these tires ride very nicely with that suspension. They also perform well in the wet and cool temps which is a plus in this neck of the woods. As for wear, they seem to be holding up well so far but I don't really monitor that closely. I love these tires and would get them again, though would look into the RF version as well next time around, and if the price was reasonable I'd probably go that route.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:13 PM
kthomas
Racer

Originally Posted by v26278
I went with Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-RF about a year and 8K miles ago. Rides quiet and smooth, lots of grip. I have Z51 and these tires ride very nicely with that suspension. They also perform well in the wet and cool temps which is a plus in this neck of the woods. As for wear, they seem to be holding up well so far but I don't really monitor that closely. I love these tires and would get them again, though would look into the RF version as well next time around, and if the price was reasonable I'd probably go that route.
awesome ... thanks!
Old 06-26-2015, 04:15 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

I've got Nitto Invo's non-RF's on my '05.....28K miles & plenty of tread left on them. Much softer & quieter ride that the GY Supercar RF's that they replaced. This pic is when new. Whatever tires you choose, make sure you have a good 4-wheel alignment.
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2015, 04:16 PM
biker1059
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the Hankook Evo2 or something like that. Been on about 3k miles, really like them a lot.

Last edited by biker1059; 06-30-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:47 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

And your car is a what? It makes a diff on available tires.
There is no "best replacement" tire. It's what makes most sense to you and fits your budget.
So, here's the info you requested from me. On my GS I have Bstone Poles with about 35k miles and they will go a little more. IMO they are quiet, provide good traction, and I will replace with same.
Reading your initial post I would say you either need a good alignment or better monitor tire pressure. Just sayin...
Old 06-26-2015, 04:58 PM
kthomas
Racer

Originally Posted by ruxvette
And your car is a what? It makes a diff on available tires.
There is no "best replacement" tire. It's what makes most sense to you and fits your budget.
So, here's the info you requested from me. On my GS I have Bstone Poles with about 35k miles and they will go a little more. IMO they are quiet, provide good traction, and I will replace with same.
Reading your initial post I would say you either need a good alignment or better monitor tire pressure. Just sayin...
Sorry, that should be in the first post.

'09 A6 w/z-51 + COW engine/tranny tune + booster

Money is not really a factor, the car is paid off. I don't believe my wear and tear has anything to do with a good alignment or monitoring my tire pressure since that's done often.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:41 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by v26278

I'm in hog heaven.

Just got back from South Shore Lake Tahoe. (Lake Tahoe Corvettes Car Show)

Played around a bit coming back Hwy. 50 and loved them. Quiet, Smooth riding, Grip like a slick and have good wear rating.

As mentioned above I carry the same tools.

Good luck with your choice, 2k
Old 06-27-2015, 11:17 AM
kthomas
Racer

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra

I'm in hog heaven.

Just got back from South Shore Lake Tahoe. (Lake Tahoe Corvettes Car Show)

Played around a bit coming back Hwy. 50 and loved them. Quiet, Smooth riding, Grip like a slick and have good wear rating.

As mentioned above I carry the same tools.

Good luck with your choice, 2k
Old 06-27-2015, 04:21 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by kthomas
I'm looking for suggestions of which ones and how well they've held up so far. I'm not really looking to debate the runflat vs. non ... just what people have experienced so far.

My Pilot Sport A/S Plus Run-Flat didn't last but 17k ... so are there better out there?

I understand brother. I went with Firestone Wide Oval 500's, have been satisfied. As I said, the ride is much quieter and smoother, but haven't had them long enough to comment on how they will last. It was between these, and the Hankook equivalent. I went with these simple because of the price. If you plan on any spirited driving, or tracking the car I really don't think these would suit you, but if you use them on a daily driver I think you will be satisfied.

BTW, you can use www.tirerack.com for reviews (professional and buyers) on all the tires that will fit your ride.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Monty2007
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just hard the Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP installed about 2 weeks ago. So far I like the dry traction and they ride better than GY. Eagles. The car no loner bounces over expansion joints and rain grooves. I have not had the chance to test wet weather performance yet, but it has been raining all day today so I will get a chance tonight.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:24 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Have Super Sports coming on my Nurburgrings next week. Hope I'm going to like um.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:02 PM
TWTX5459
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's, non RF. Quiet, great traction. Have about 4k miles on them and seem to be holding up well even after a little track time.

Get notified of new replies

To Best replacement tires (non + runflats)?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best replacement tires (non + runflats)?