C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch > Ranger method not working?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 03:34 AM
C6DL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch > Ranger method not working?

Hello

I'm trying to do the ranger method on my c6 to change my clutch oil.
When I suck the oil out of the reservoir and change it with some new dot4 oil and press 20 times on the pedal.... the oil in the reservoir is still "new"
and not blended with the old oil.

Return to the engine compartment and remove the fluid cover on the clutch reservoir and
you will notice that the fluid is now dark again.
How long must be driven / pressed on the pedal so the oil can be sucked out again?

thanks!

Last edited by C6DL; 07-01-2015 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:27 AM
BLUEMEANIE
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Do it till it changes. I do it 2x a year (6 months of driving...midwest)

I usually get about 50/60 in before I notice any change in color.. then I do it again, and drive it for a while.

If after driving, the fluid is dark do it again.

Correct me if i'm wrong but Clutch / brake fluid does not have a shelf life after opening bottle.. use it up
Old 07-01-2015, 08:45 AM
C6DL
Advanced

Originally Posted by BLUEMEANIE
Do it till it changes. I do it 2x a year (6 months of driving...midwest)

I usually get about 50/60 in before I notice any change in color.. then I do it again, and drive it for a while.

If after driving, the fluid is dark do it again.

Correct me if i'm wrong but Clutch / brake fluid does not have a shelf life after opening bottle.. use it up

Hmmm whats the reason that as qouted above, "normally" when you presh 20 times the clutch pedal it become black ?
And now you are saying drive 50/60 miles in it?...
Is with every C6 different behaviour for this?
Old 07-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

When I do mine it doesn't turn black but a light brown. I usually only have to do two flushes to get it clear again. I change it about twice per year. I do not save the new fluid I did not use. It is my understanding it will absorb moisture which you don't want. For the $3-4 bucks a bottle costs I figure I can afford to toss what I don't use each time.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:55 AM
C6DL
Advanced

@Smokin

My question is not about the amount of flushes
My question is about the problem that when I put new fluid in it, is don't become any darker when pressing for 100 times on the clutch pedal!

My fluid is the last 5 years not changed!
So It must be brown!
Old 07-01-2015, 09:57 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by C6DL
@Smokin

My question is about the problem that when I put new fluid in it, is don't become any darker when pressing for 100 times on the clutch pedal!

So It must be brown!
How many miles are on the car? If you have low mileage, that could be an indicator of why your fluid isn't turning brown. The brown fluid is what returns from the slave cylinder down by the clutch. It is caused by clutch dust getting pulled into the slave cylinder past the seals. It could be that your slave cylinder is sealed well and you don't have the issue like others do, so your fluid is still clean. Drive the car for a month and then re-check the fluid and see what it looks like.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:09 AM
trebor8008
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just a question. Is the cap back on the reservoir when you are pumping the clutch? As stated before, if your car is lower mileage it may not need as much of a flush. How dirty was the fluid when you started to flush it?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:24 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Honestly I don't think it'll come back black from pumping the pedal after u put in the new fluid. This cannot be done in one session. Little background. I got my C6 with 13k. It is a 2010. Previous owner never did it. When I open the reservoir, it had GU ly stuff and it was black like used up oil. Started doing the flushes. Added new fluid, pump the pedal like 100 times, and the fluid would return maybe slightly brown. This was the first time. So I was OK. Cool. Drove for a day like 20 miles, came home and checked. The fluid was black again. Really nasty. I just kept doing that for about a wk I think. I know is bad to keep opening the reservoir, but I had no choice.

Now its clean. This is a preventive thing that should be added in the manual. If owner do it before it becomes dirty, it can be done twice a year to keep it nice and Clean.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:41 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Suck out the old fluid. Add new fluid & just drive it. Check it again after a few weeks or months. If & when it gets dark again repeat. Eventually it'll stay clean for a good long while.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:14 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by ALS 08
Suck out the old fluid. Add new fluid & just drive it. Check it again after a few weeks or months. If & when it gets dark again repeat. Eventually it'll stay clean for a good long while.
I agree 100%...drive it, don't sit in the garage pumping the pedal.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:19 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

I have a 2011 Zo6 and the exact same issue is happening for me. On my previous C5's and C6Z's it did change color after 40-50 pedal pushes. This 2011 however mainly changes after it is driven. So I flush it 3 times over a week being it so easy.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes have the cap on because the fluid will shoot like a stream in the air, and Dot4 fluid will dissolve paint. I usually cover my car fender with some clean towels.

I also pump the clutch pedal to the floor, I try to exchange the most fluid possible.

The first time mine was close to charcoal black, I am the second owner, I bought the car at 15k miles. Since I bought it I do the Ranger flush every 3 or 4 months, about 1000 or so miles.

Originally Posted by trebor8008
Just a question. Is the cap back on the reservoir when you are pumping the clutch? As stated before, if your car is lower mileage it may not need as much of a flush. How dirty was the fluid when you started to flush it?

Last edited by Suds; 07-01-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:37 PM
donwil
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just plan on having it changed/flushed out once every 2 years as recommended. Maybe a little sooner.Not a big ranger method guy. Oh man, I should never have said that!
Old 07-01-2015, 11:05 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,949 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by C6DL
@Smokin

So It must be brown!
No one said it's a fixed number that is unchangeable. It could be 20 times, it could be 49. Go drive the car. cclive and others do the "mixing" of the old and new fluids that way, then come home and change it again. Nothing wrong with that method.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:38 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,666 Likes on 2,366 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by donwil
I just plan on having it changed/flushed out once every 2 years as recommended. Maybe a little sooner.Not a big ranger method guy. Oh man, I should never have said that!
But, then, you have an automatic...
Old 07-02-2015, 10:50 PM
donwil
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
But, then, you have an automatic...
I wondered why I didn't have 3 pedals. I have just been shifting like the guys in the fast and furious movies.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:23 PM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Just change it , drive a week and repeat. If its staying clean your all good. I found it easer just to drive the car over a couple of days to flush it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch > Ranger method not working?

Quick Reply: Clutch > Ranger method not working?