C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose reverse lights - easy fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:42 AM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Loose reverse lights - easy fix

While washing my car, I noticed the passenger side reverse light was loose. The bottom portion would flex inward instead of begin secure. Upon doing a little Forum research, it was suggested to pull the wheel liners and drop the diffuser. This is not necessary.

All I did was jack up the rear, get underneath the back and remove the (4) 7mm screws located on the culprit side. 2 screws right behind the rear wheel, and the other two screws parallel to those which are holding the diffuser. Once removed, you can pull down on the diffuser and "seat" the reverse light tabs back into the "stays" that secure the light.

It's obvious that the flexibility of the diffuser causes the tabs built into the light to come out of the holes provided in the diffuser.

Once secured, just install the 4 screws and you're back in business.

jf
The following users liked this post:
Tropicana (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 06:17 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks! I experienced exactly what you described: floppy passenger reverse light while I was washing my car. Of course, I Google the problem and your thread came up.

I backed up on my Race Ramps to have a look but I believe I am missing the two little tabs on the bottom of the lamp. At least when I order a replacement, I won't stress the install thanks to your help.

Last edited by Tropicana; 11-08-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:39 PM
airmed2
Drifting

No problem. Although, if you wanted to keep it on the 'cheap' side, you could use a dab of clear silicone which would secure it up, too.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Good idea. However during the past hour, I decided that it's such a minor repair and I couldn't see buying a whole new housing just for two little tabs so I stuffed a little bead of JBWeld putty in there and it's now solid as a rock.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:11 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Good call
Old 11-08-2015, 11:58 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Default I have same problem

Haven't looked underneath yet but it is loose like you say. First what part is it that you are calling the diffuser? Second, are the last two screws you mention vertical or horizontal. Will probably see them when I get under their but just asking.

I read that there are two adjustment screws that should be their and probably push down on the top of the lens to keep the little tabs in place?

They would go through holes in the part that holds the lens at the top.

Thanks.

Just found a reference to a Diffuser....looks like it is the part that holds the lens in this case?

Last edited by NOWUCME; 11-09-2015 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Add
Old 11-09-2015, 03:29 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
Haven't looked underneath yet but it is loose like you say. First what part is it that you are calling the diffuser? Second, are the last two screws you mention vertical or horizontal. Will probably see them when I get under their but just asking.

I read that there are two adjustment screws that should be their and probably push down on the top of the lens to keep the little tabs in place?

They would go through holes in the part that holds the lens at the top.

Thanks.

Just found a reference to a Diffuser....looks like it is the part that holds the lens in this case?
The diffuser is the black part that runs the width of the bumper and holds the reverse lights. It's No. 2 in the second picture of the first post here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-opinions.html
The following users liked this post:
NOWUCME (11-21-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Loose reverse lights - easy fix

Quick Reply: Loose reverse lights - easy fix