C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic transmission fluid in engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Bailey15
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Automatic transmission fluid in engine

I'm afraid I made a mistake and want to know what my next step should be.

My check oil light came on so I went into my local Autozone to pick up Mobil 1 synthetic for a refill. Well, I go to the shelf and they have multiple types of Mobil 1 but I see they have one for GM and Ford models and that it is for automatics so I select that one.

I pour in the engine reservoir only to discover it is not engine oil for GM automatic but it was actually Automatic Transmission Fluid.

What is my next step? Can I drive it to the mechanic or should I have it towed?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:02 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

This is almost too hard t o believe, but if it's true and accurate: 1) do not even START the car!!!! Have it towed out of your garage, carport, driveway or street parking. DO NOT ALLOW DEALER, TOW TRUCK DRIVER OR ANYONE to start the car. 2) Bring the empty or partial bottle with you to the dealer. Let them drain it, change the oil filter. 3) And if it were me, do it again after starting the car unless they have some bona fide method of flushing the lube system which I doubt.

Just as an aside, look up Mobil 1; call the tech line, ask them for their suggestions, too.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:16 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

And to add to that: If your check oil light came on you should have immediately shut the car off and found why it came on before starting the engine again.

Did the oil level show dangerously low on the dipstick?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:17 PM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Can you just drain it and change the filter there at home? I wouldn't run it but I don't think it's all that earth shattering of a deal really, just change it and move on.

Mark
Old 07-01-2015, 11:34 PM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,326 Likes on 769 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by CHEV AGAIN
Can you just drain it and change the filter there at home? I wouldn't run it but I don't think it's all that earth shattering of a deal really, just change it and move on.

Mark
There's always a lot of over reaction here.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:09 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Automatic transmission fluid in engine

Originally Posted by CHEV AGAIN

Mark
Originally Posted by BearZ06
There's always a lot of over reaction here.
Agree. Change it, run it, change it again if it makes you feel better and move on.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:37 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

What I'd do....

Drain the engine oil. This will remove most of the trannie oil. Refill with engine oil. Remove the spark plugs and crank the engine for a relatively long time...it'll spin really fast with no plugs...maybe disconnect the gas line so the injectors won't spray raw gas into the cylinders...this will circulate the oil through the system and dilute the remaining tranny oil. Dump the slightly contaminated engine oil and repeat the process with another oil fill. Drive the car a little and do another oil change. That should do it.

My best guess. Since you'll be adding and dumping engine oil, maybe a less expensive oil than Mobile1 will be OK, except for the last oil fill.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:48 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
What I'd do....

Drain the engine oil. This will remove most of the trannie oil. Refill with engine oil. Remove the spark plugs and crank the engine for a relatively long time...it'll spin really fast with no plugs...maybe disconnect the gas line so the injectors won't spray raw gas into the cylinders...this will circulate the oil through the system and dilute the remaining tranny oil. Dump the slightly contaminated engine oil and repeat the process with another oil fill. Drive the car a little and do another oil change. That should do it.

My best guess. Since you'll be adding and dumping engine oil, maybe a less expensive oil than Mobile1 will be OK, except for the last oil fill.
Definitely pull the fuel pump relay out too.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:54 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Hold on guys. How much ATF is in the motor? If just a quart, it's really just a very light weight heavy detergent 'oil' and simply changing it and the filter like any oil change will do just fine. If it's a whole gallon or more, then I agree, it shouldn't be started again until changed. That 'remove the plugs, routine seems a tad extreme to me no matter what. It's a small block Chevy, not a quad turbo Bugatti.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:22 AM
Ratboy
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

We used to put a quart of ATF in and drive 'em around to free up sticky lifters. Don't sweat it and just change it when you get the chance.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:31 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Ratboy
We used to put a quart of ATF in and drive 'em around to free up sticky lifters. Don't sweat it and just change it when you get the chance.
A breath of fresh air...if it was just a quart on top of, say 5 quarts of M1 there is nooo problem...unless you are going to track it.
Change the oil and filter and forget it.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:29 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I'm in the 'no big deal if it's a quart or less' camp too.

As stated above, it's a common trick to free up stuck hydraulic lifters. Just change the oil/filter and relax.

And apparently many of you are not aware of the hold-the-pedal-to-the-floor method of cranking over a C6 without firing it up. You don't have to pull any of the plugs or fuses.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:33 AM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

People did this for years.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:51 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Seriously?

Change it out asap,then just take your car in for oil changes from now on,or get better glasses.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:24 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Exactly. We would put a quart of Atf in gunked up old engines and differentials and drive them around hard for 500 miles or so and then change the oil. ATF does a remarkable job in some cases. I wouldn't casually run out and do this to a Vette, but I don't see how a quart of atf can hurt it either.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:36 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I would be more worried about why the Check Oil light came on. That thing really only warns of impending doom. How much oil is in the car now, after adding the quart? Is it full or still very low? If it's full, great, just get it changed and move on. If it's still low, fill it with oil and then go get it changed.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by unixcorn
I would be more worried about why the Check Oil light came on. That thing really only warns of impending doom. How much oil is in the car now, after adding the quart? Is it full or still very low? If it's full, great, just get it changed and move on. If it's still low, fill it with oil and then go get it changed.
That was the point I was trying to make.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic transmission fluid in engine

Old 07-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

If less than a quart, not much different than Marvel Mystery Oil, which a lot of people used to swear by.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

How much did you put in? If only one quart your probably fine. I have read about people mixing in 1 quart of ATF into old engines to clean them out. ATF supposedly has great detergent properties.

DISCLAIMER: I have never done this myself, just read about it.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

My Dad had a 1984 Pontiac, and he used to put in one qt of Transmission fluid, about every 3rd oil change, swearing it kept the engine clean. He traded it with 165K on it, and still ran like a watch. I probably wouldn't do that with my Vette, but I certainly wouldn't panic if it happened by mistake. Just change the oil, and forget it.

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission fluid in engine