C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Risks in a Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 12:49 PM
MAYH3M
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Risks in a Corvette

I have told my cousin once before. I think if I was going to die it would be due to my corvette. Very straight forward but it is true.

I think once in a while the fact that a good healthy person like me who doesnt work in some dangerous environment, or doesnt have any medical conditions, highest chance of death would be behind the seat of a sports car. Of course this can be said for all fast, or probably for pretty much anyone who chooses to drive wrecklessly.

I said that to say this. I have family members, who tell me they pray for me to be safe in my corvette. And they will on occasion say, to drive carefully etc.

I have thought of several times to sell my corvette to pretty much eliminate this possibility. I know a rebuttal could be to merely, not drive fast, race, or do anything crazy in the vette. But truth is, the power is there and its so tempting.

I know i will be probably get flamed as a young dumb kid or something who shouldnt have a corvette if hes thinking this way. But a lot has happened in my family that has got me to the point where I realize i am valuable to the people I love. And in a way, is selfish to not give my own self a certain care.

Anyways, I know I'm not a brave man, never have been never will be. But, i would say that someone on here has had this pass their mind before. I am an impressionable person so take ear to wise words.

Thanks -Matthew
Old 07-02-2015, 12:56 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Of course you chances of dieing in your Corvette are higher then of natural causes (that is as long as your health is good), but it is just as much of a chance in a Prius also. Now if you are out there driving like a fool and racing without the proper safety equipment then maybe you relatives are correct.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Yup. If you are a person who is more susceptible to the temptation of recklessness, it is best to avoid putting yourself in situations where giving in to that temptation might be disastrous. Everyone has urges and wild thoughts, but not everyone has the restraint to *not* give in to them.

A man's got to know his limitations.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Never crosses my mind. I just pick when I can be stupid and when I can't. 638 horses can get you killed, but you can't enjoy it if you're always worried about it.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:13 PM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Auto accidents

Originally Posted by MAYH3M
I have told my cousin once before. I think if I was going to die it would be due to my corvette. Very straight forward but it is true.

I think once in a while the fact that a good healthy person like me who doesnt work in some dangerous environment, or doesnt have any medical conditions, highest chance of death would be behind the seat of a sports car. Of course this can be said for all fast, or probably for pretty much anyone who chooses to drive wrecklessly.

I said that to say this. I have family members, who tell me they pray for me to be safe in my corvette. And they will on occasion say, to drive carefully etc.

I have thought of several times to sell my corvette to pretty much eliminate this possibility. I know a rebuttal could be to merely, not drive fast, race, or do anything crazy in the vette. But truth is, the power is there and its so tempting.

I know i will be probably get flamed as a young dumb kid or something who shouldnt have a corvette if hes thinking this way. But a lot has happened in my family that has got me to the point where I realize i am valuable to the people I love. And in a way, is selfish to not give my own self a certain care.

Anyways, I know I'm not a brave man, never have been never will be. But, i would say that someone on here has had this pass their mind before. I am an impressionable person so take ear to wise words.

Thanks -Matthew
I was a cop for 25 years and in those years I saw lots of auto accidents. Some were Corvettes and I was surprised at how well the vettes stood up to the impact.The vehicle may have been totaled but the driver and passengers walked away.Of course it depends on the speed and what the collision consisted of. If you were driving crazy and hit a wall,you were going to sustain severe injuries or worse.But in this instance it doesn't matter what vehicle you are driving.Be a defensive driver and you will reduce the chances of having a collision,but of course sometimes a collision just can't be avoided.Rod:flag :
Old 07-02-2015, 01:18 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Insurance loss statistics are very low for Corvettes, even lower for the convertible Corvette. Generally, going out of the house is more dangerous than just staying home. Driving on a road, or even walking across that road, is one of the more dangerous things that an individual can do. It's a question as to what things a person chooses to worry about. Everyone should make his/her own choices along these lines.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I've been driving Corvettes off and on for 48 years. I don't think any more about it being dangerous to my health than I do about walking out of the door of my house being dangerous to my health.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:25 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

I have never had that thought for a minute. I may just be a dope. I have also surfed almost every day for 50 years and now I hear that there are sharks out there. Probably just a matter of time for me.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:44 PM
MLCRookie
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my thought. I don't worry so much about me, I make the decision how I drive and when I might be a bit spirited. What keeps me relatively cautious is that someone in another car didn't get to decide how my driving may effect their lives. If I were injured or killed in a crash that would be my decision...someone else being injured or killed because of my decision is simply not acceptable to me. Pick and choose when you do it and do everything you can to keep collateral damage to a minimum (preferably not at all) or find a track or club event that lets you have fun in a controlled environment with minimal risk to others.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:57 PM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks -Matthew
I have a bit of a story to tell.

When my wife and her twin brother were just babies (they were born addicted to drugs and adopted at 3 years old). They both contracted pneumonia. Had High fevers. They were able to get her fever down, but the doctors were not able to get his fever down in time, so he ended up brain damaged.

Fast forward and he's 17, living in an assisted living home where my wife visits him all the time. She leaves for the day and later that night they get a call. He got out of the home due to lax security and was killed by a drunk driver while crossing the road.

I'm not catholic, but my wife is. I have a St. Christopher on my keychain, and one around my neck because it keeps her happy and makes her feel better. St. Christopher is the patron saint of travelers.

I grew up around fast cars. My uncle was a police academy instructor for a while, before going back to being a detective. He put both my cousin and I through the paces at the academy at the age of 16 (we spent our entire summer there). This was back when you could get away with stuff like this (think, CHP using 5.0 Mustangs with Manual Transmissions and you get the era I'm talking about). The defensive driving course was pretty awesome and I learned a lot that I haven't forgotten. Example: It's possible to Hydroplane in under an inch of standing water at speeds of about 18-20mph. I've also had hand-to-hand and tactical defense training throughout the years, but i'm off topic now. Defensive driving courses should be a necessity every time you renew your license, IMO.

Point is. There are people who are braver and smarter than you who keep upping the power on their cars without ever realizing that they are not capable of handling said power. Any driving instructor worth their salt will tell you to learn to drive what you have in a safe manner before you move to the next level.

I suggest you take some defensive driving courses, and even do a couple of track days (although honestly, track days aren't going to teach you what you need to know on public roads).

And when you do decide to mod your car, start with the brakes and tires. It will be the smartest thing you can ever do for yourself or your family. You'd be amazed at what 12 extra inches of stopping distance can save you or someone else from....

What is the most powerful part of the car? The braking system. Not the engine.

Yes, the power is there. But the driver determines whether they use that power to get them into bad situations, or get them OUT of bad situations. Safe driving, and no street racing. Take it to the track. Don't be afraid to learn from an experienced and trained instructor(s).

And if you really do want to die in a car, buy a Smartcar. One hit in one of those and you are a pancake. heh.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 07-02-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Vettevick
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I figure my chance of survival greatly increased... Seeing as how I came off a Harley and into a Vette...
Old 07-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

You should try riding a motorcycle for a few years...
Old 07-02-2015, 03:40 PM
YouVettcha
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pray for my safety when I am working on a ladder. I have imagined dying in a car crash and this motivates me to drive responsibly and gauge risk. I refuse to drive on New Years Eave Night as I feel like my odds of being killed in my Corvette by a drunk driver are much higher than average. Go to an abandoned parking lot and experiment with power and handling. The street is a poor place to test the limits of yourself and your car. Good Luck!
Old 07-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Matthew, you can't can't live worrying about dying. Anyone could walk out their front door, trip, fall down the steps, and break their neck. You're young, be safe, enjoy life, because the years will go too fast. So, as the song goes, "Don't worry, drive a Corvette". Wait, I think that's wrong.......oh well, that's what it should say.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:39 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

I know i will be probably get flamed...
Thanks -Matthew
Not flaming you, Matthew, but you are dying from the minute you are born. Some things will hasten that, and driving foolishly is one of those things.
Having said that...you don't sound like you belong in a vette.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
I've been driving Corvettes off and on for 48 years. I don't think any more about it being dangerous to my health than I do about walking out of the door of my house being dangerous to my health.
In fact, since I have driven Vettes since 1972, I have probably avoided accidents that I couldn't have in a regular vehicle, simply because they steer quicker and stop faster.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Magik
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettevick
I figure my chance of survival greatly increased... Seeing as how I came off a Harley and into a Vette...
Same here. Still need to the sell the Harley though.

Get notified of new replies

To Risks in a Corvette

Old 07-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Pilgrim86314
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Magik
Same here. Still need to the sell the Harley though.
Does that mean you don't want mine?😉
Pilgrim
Old 07-02-2015, 06:57 PM
PJake
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettevick
Old 07-02-2015, 07:20 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

When a grown assed man says he's afraid to drive his corvette because he may die in it. This does not sound like a responsible adult,more like one with much deeper underlying problems. People die in cars every second of every day,learn to drive responsibly, or turn in your man card and sell the Vette.

Quick Reply: Risks in a Corvette