C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 manual fan switch install pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 09:49 PM
A-A-Ron
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default C6 manual fan switch install pics

A few pics from the install on my 2011 GS.

All plugged in and ran along the passenger fender.

Tucked under the hood latch receiver, behind the oil cannister, and under the wiper cowl.

Through the door jam, under the A pillar, and under the break in the weatherstripping.

Tucked down the plastic trim piece and on top of the glove box kick panel.

Inline module.

Bought some cigarette lighter housings from AutoZone and cut them 1/4 from the rolled edge. Left the tabs though to bend to hold them in place. They fit perfectly into the recesses covered by the plastic covers in the center console.

Fan switch in the center and the NPP switch on the right.

Fan rocker switch fits perfectly into the lighter opening. I ordered a matching 2 position switch for the NPP which will be arriving shortly.

Last edited by A-A-Ron; 07-04-2015 at 11:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
808 MAOLI (04-05-2024)
Old 07-04-2015, 10:10 PM
tealex
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice job. Looks real professional.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:24 PM
A-A-Ron
Racer

Originally Posted by tealex
Nice job. Looks real professional.
Thanks, I appreciate it. And without drilling, that's the only way I could find to get that wire from the engine bay to the center console. The previous owner had the NPP already done, and it was a square rocker switch. I wanted to make them look the same, so I'll have to wait another couple weeks to finish it.

Last edited by A-A-Ron; 07-04-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:48 PM
greatgonzer
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks great! But let me ask you a question, so is your fan completely manual now? Do you have to remember to turn it On/Off? This sounds a bit dangerous as if you were to forget to turn it on, you possibly could overheat? I must be missing something here.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:36 PM
A-A-Ron
Racer

Originally Posted by greatgonzer
Looks great! But let me ask you a question, so is your fan completely manual now? Do you have to remember to turn it On/Off? This sounds a bit dangerous as if you were to forget to turn it on, you possibly could overheat? I must be missing something here.
No, its a 3 position switch. Manual Low (I) Manual High (II) and Auto (O). Auto maintains factory settings and will come on as normal programming permits. The manual settings just allow for you to interrupt the normal programming. However the fan will kill the battery, because it can remain on even if the car is off. But you can hear it upon exiting the car. Hope this helps. These are available from Weat Coast Corvette (mine), SLP, Southern Car Parts, C5, Corvette Mods etc, and all have the same instructions.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:40 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I love seeing clean installations, looks so good, like it was made that way.
Well done.!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:44 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

just out of curiosity, why did you feel the need to install this? Does this run after the car is turned off?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:55 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
just out of curiosity, why did you feel the need to install this? Does this run after the car is turned off?
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:00 PM
A-A-Ron
Racer

I was going to go with a 160 thermostat, but didn't want to risk harming the engine according to some informational posts on the t-stat swaps. I had this mod on my old LT1 Trans Ams. It's a nice way to add some cooling on those hour days or if your suck in traffic and idling. Just a personal choice mod.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:05 PM
A-A-Ron
Racer

Originally Posted by EVRose
I was wondering the same thing.
Yes, it will kill the battery if left on after the car is shut off. But you can hear the fan running when you exit the car, so it should be noticed before walking away.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Keep a close eye on the fan blower connector, because many have melted it by doing things like this to make the fan run at 100%.

There are other threads on how to beef up the connector and wiring.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:19 AM
greatgonzer
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
Keep a close eye on the fan blower connector, because many have melted it by doing things like this to make the fan run at 100%.

There are other threads on how to beef up the connector and wiring.
I'm am wondering about this mod as well, because through tuning you can get the fan to run at 100% if needed. A tuner can set the fan to turn on and flow at 100% capacity if the car reaches certain temps. Wouldn't that be easier than installing this manual apparatus? I do agree with you about the melting ground wire on the controller connection. Mine melted while set to run at 100% and I had to run a larger ground wire to fix the problem. Nice work though.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:30 AM
Z51LS3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the pics, came in handy today for my install .
I discovered that those two extra locations for the switchs are actually a bracket for screws to help secure the console... I wasn't ready to drill one out so i just have it sitting there for now), then again i suppose you would never know anyway right...

On another note i tested it today 82*F, and i drove around for maybe 25mins stop-and-go through small streets along with extensive idling to see how effective the fan switch can be... I noted when driving at speeds under 30mph the temps go right around 188 (tried both fan set automatic or on 100%), naturally fans on while driving made less difference vs sitting still. Now, when sitting idling in the driveway (or staging lanes or traffic), the temps would rise to slightly more than 200* (set to automatic fan mode). Then i tried it with fans on 100% and the temp would drop to 197*, and if i idle the car sitting in the driveway at 1200rpm the temp drops further to 191 (again with fan at 100%)..
Stock thermostat.
c6 z51 cooling system.
No performance modifications.
30000 miles.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:31 AM
Z51LS3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greatgonzer
I'm am wondering about this mod as well, because through tuning you can get the fan to run at 100% if needed. A tuner can set the fan to turn on and flow at 100% capacity if the car reaches certain temps. Wouldn't that be easier than installing this manual apparatus? I do agree with you about the melting ground wire on the controller connection. Mine melted while set to run at 100% and I had to run a larger ground wire to fix the problem. Nice work though.

How long you can run them at 100% for without melting the ground wire?
Old 09-21-2015, 08:53 PM
MLRS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll be installing mine today just hope everything will go easy thanks for the pics.
Originally Posted by A-A-Ron
A few pics from the install on my 2011 GS.

All plugged in and ran along the passenger fender.

Tucked under the hood latch receiver, behind the oil cannister, and under the wiper cowl.

Through the door jam, under the A pillar, and under the break in the weatherstripping.

Tucked down the plastic trim piece and on top of the glove box kick panel.

Inline module.

Bought some cigarette lighter housings from AutoZone and cut them 1/4 from the rolled edge. Left the tabs though to bend to hold them in place. They fit perfectly into the recesses covered by the plastic covers in the center console.

Fan switch in the center and the NPP switch on the right.

Fan rocker switch fits perfectly into the lighter opening. I ordered a matching 2 position switch for the NPP which will be arriving shortly.

Last edited by MLRS; 09-22-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:56 PM
MLRS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I was getting ready to start installing today I even made a small plastic bracket with a piece of 3m double face tape, then I read Joe_G comment on my thread, C6 manual fan switch install pics seems easy.

Last edited by MLRS; 09-24-2015 at 07:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 manual fan switch install pics

Quick Reply: C6 manual fan switch install pics