C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:36 PM
psaboic
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS Question

Hi folks, please bear with me if this has been discussed before. Recently on my 2005 I got a "service Tire Monitor System" message on the DIC. Thumbing through the display, I get an "XXX" message when it checks each wheel, but the tire pressures are obviously ok.

Sooo.....Since I do not have a TPMS reset tool, and the age/condition of the sensors is unknown, what do you think would be the most effective and economical way to get started to solve this issue? Take it to a tire shop for scanning and hope I do not get boned on price for the service, get a tool and try it myself, dealer, etc.........?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Recently had this issue on my '08. One of the rear TPMS was throwing a code. I took both rear tires off, and went to Town Faire Tire. They charged me $135 for two new sensors, installation and rebalance. I then re-mounted the tires and went back down, where the kid got out his calibration tool, and he did the whole procedure of entering the codes, holding tool to each tire until beep heard, and then at last wheel there were two beeps and whole system was calibrated. It was well worth the money.

I took the tires off myself because I am just so frakkin' **** about getting a door ding that I didn't want the car in their shop, even though they seemed quite capable.

And I gave the two people I dealt with $10 each. I always spread a little gratitude money around. I think that helps ensure they do a decent job. It's truly remarkable to see the visible attitude change when you grease someone's palm with some lunch money!

Anyway, my recommendation is go to reputable tire shop. Heck, you may be better just doing all 4 sensors (assuming that's the problem, of course), after all, car is 10 years old and so are those tiny TPMS batteries..........

Good luck

Last edited by Chevy-SS; 07-05-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Monty2007
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
Here is the problem: runflats do not come off the rim easily. I think the bead on one of my tires was damaged when the tire was unseated to replace a dead TPMS sensor. It started to leak air slowly. They reseated it while gooping it up with sealant and damaged my chrome wheel in the process. Ugh!

Now I am looking to buy a good chrome wheel.

Moral of story: I'm going to replace all of the sensors when I get new tires.

Tony,

Totally agree. I just replaced my tires and had the TPMS sensors replaced on my 2007. They were good but I didn't want to have to unmount a run flat if and when a sensor expired.

Chris
Old 07-05-2015, 07:37 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Start with a trip to discount tire.
Discount will try to reset the TPMS in the tires to the car to begin with for free.
Note, to put the car into TPMS mode, turn the car off, get out, then close the door. Open the door and leave it open, push the bottom of the starter button to put the car into ACC mode, then with the Fob by the shifter, push and hold both the lock and unlock button at the same time until the horn honks.

Now the discount tire tech will use the tool starting with the front drivers tire try to trigger the that tires TMPS to honk the horn, will go to the passangers front tire to trigger the tire to honk the horn, then to the passangers back tire to trigger the tire to honk the horn, then to the drivers back tire last to trigger the tpms to honk the horn twice. Each time the horn honks, the car has learned that TPMS/the tpms has triggered (battery is still good in the TPMS), and the double horn honk on the drivers back tires trigger means that car has learned all 4 TMPS.s. Also, the TPMS have to triggered in the tires in the above order, since if the tire order is mixed up, then the DIC will display the TPMS in the wrong tire posistions.

If they can not get the TPMS to trigger.honk the horn (batteries dead in once of more of the TPMS's), then you will need new TPMS.
Note, if it just one of a couple of TPMS that will not trigger/honk the horn, replace all 4 of them. Hence if one of more battieries died in a TPMS, the rest are shortly to follow.

Order the new OEM tpms from amazon, GM Part# 25758220 (do not use aftermarket clones since the battiers in them do not last nearly as long as the OEM units) and they you will need to find a tire shop to pull the tires to have the TPMS changed out in the rims.

Amazon.com: ACDelco 25758220 GM Original Equipment Tire Pressure Sensor with Valve Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 25758220 GM Original Equipment Tire Pressure Sensor with Valve Kit: Automotive

If you have a tire warranty on your tires from a shop to begin with (free balancing and patching), then use that shop that installed the tires to begin with.

If you don't have a warranty on the tires, then Discount is not a bad shop to use since they are nation wide. With them replacing the TPMS in the rims with the OEM units you hand them, the TPMS install service also comes with free road balancing and tire repair done the line if needed as well (read take the vet to any discount tire when needed and they will check and re road balanced the tires if needed, as well patch a flat too for free).
Old 07-05-2015, 08:39 PM
LSD 2005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
my recommendation, you may be better just doing all 4 sensors (assuming that's the problem, of course), after all, car is 10 years old
Originally Posted by Dano523
Order the new OEM tpms from amazon, GM Part# 25758220 (do not use aftermarket clones since the battiers in them do not last nearly as long as the OEM units) and they you will need to find a tire shop to pull the tires to have the TPMS changed out in the rims.

Amazon.com: ACDelco 25758220 GM Original Equipment Tire Pressure Sensor with Valve Kit: Automotive
I had the exact same problem with my Front Left Sensor. I decided to replace all 4 TPMS earlier this year. Bought everything I needed from Amazon and had them installed and programmed at a local tire shop.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:55 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Normally when it reads XXX the battery is dead on that sensor and needs to be replaced.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:02 PM
psaboic
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start with a trip to discount tire.
Discount will try to reset the TPMS in the tires to the car to begin with for free.
Note, to put the car into TPMS mode, turn the car off, get out, then close the door. Open the door and leave it open, push the bottom of the starter button to put the car into ACC mode, then with the Fob by the shifter, push and hold both the lock and unlock button at the same time until the horn honks.

Now the discount tire tech will use the tool starting with the front drivers tire try to trigger the that tires TMPS to honk the horn, will go to the passangers front tire to trigger the tire to honk the horn, then to the passangers back tire to trigger the tire to honk the horn, then to the drivers back tire last to trigger the tpms to honk the horn twice. Each time the horn honks, the car has learned that TPMS/the tpms has triggered (battery is still good in the TPMS), and the double horn honk on the drivers back tires trigger means that car has learned all 4 TMPS.s. Also, the TPMS have to triggered in the tires in the above order, since if the tire order is mixed up, then the DIC will display the TPMS in the wrong tire posistions.

If they can not get the TPMS to trigger.honk the horn (batteries dead in once of more of the TPMS's), then you will need new TPMS.
Note, if it just one of a couple of TPMS that will not trigger/honk the horn, replace all 4 of them. Hence if one of more battieries died in a TPMS, the rest are shortly to follow.

Amazon.com: ACDelco 25758220 GM Original Equipment Tire Pressure Sensor with Valve Kit: Automotive

If you have a tire warranty on your tires from a shop to begin with (free balancing and patching), then use that shop that installed the tires to begin with.

If you don't have a warranty on the tires, then Discount is not a bad shop to use since they are nation wide. With them replacing the TPMS in the rims with the OEM units you hand them, the TPMS install service also comes with free road balancing and tire repair done the line if needed as well (read take the vet to any discount tire when needed and they will check and re road balanced the tires if needed, as well patch a flat too for free).

Thank you! Thaat was exactly the answer I was looking for!
Old 07-05-2015, 09:16 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Speaking of tpms going bad. Anyone ever get a DIC message that one tire was overinflated. DIC said it was left front..Checked all 4 with tire gauge...all said 32.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:25 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by SSWEET
Speaking of tpms going bad. Anyone ever get a DIC message that one tire was overinflated. DIC said it was left front..Checked all 4 with tire gauge...all said 32.
Never had that issue with the vette, but our mercedes does that quite often when only off by a couple of pounds.

Regarding O.P., the previous owner must not have taken care of the monitors if all four are having problems at the same time. I had one replaced at the dealer, with runflats. I had the same in xx reading, but it was only one wheel.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:06 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Originally Posted by SSWEET
This is where it's nice to have a TPMS reset/scanner tool.

Best guess, someone used slime in the tire to fix a flat, which plugged/distroyed the TPMS sensor, and a good chance why it reading so high.

As for the solution, sucks to be you, and the TPMS will need to be replaced if the tire pressure is normal, but the sensor reading way high instead.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:35 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

This is where it's nice to have a TPMS reset/scanner tool.

Best guess, someone used slime in the tire to fix a flat, which plugged/distroyed the TPMS sensor, and a good chance why it reading so high.

As for the solution, sucks to be you, and the TPMS will need to be replaced if the tire pressure is normal, but the sensor reading way high instead.
No tire slime used. I get the DIC warning shortly after startup and getting underway. I hit reset and check the psi readings on the dash. It's then reading 30-31 psi.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:04 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Yep. Model year 2005. Your TPMS sensors are 10 years old and failing right when GM said they would.

Thanks Dano523 for their GM p/n, and the link where I can buy two full sets next year -- four for my winter wheels/tires and another four for my summer set. Red is an early 2007 that rolled off the Bowling Green assembly line in early August 2006. By next August it will be just about time to replace Red's Pirelli Sottozero winter tires, along with the TPMS sensors on their wheels. My Firestone Wide Oval summer tires seem to be headed toward 23,000 miles, so I'll probably have to unmount them to replace the sensors on those wheels.

Planning. Gotta love it.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Question

Quick Reply: TPMS Question