C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New BBS Wheels Pic.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 07:52 PM
SWVET
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New BBS Wheels Pic.

I recently purchased a set of new BBS LM wheels and was wondering if they should be treated was any specific product, 9.e., sealant, wax, etc. I know this is close to a similar thread, but i missed a definitive answer. Thank You

Last edited by SWVET; 07-05-2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 07-05-2015, 07:54 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Depends if they are clear coated
NSF
Old 07-05-2015, 07:59 PM
SWVET
Advanced

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Depends if they are clear coated
NSF
I do not believe they are because of all of the bolts, but i am not sure. Thx
Old 07-05-2015, 08:10 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Its hard to tell from pics, but it looks like the centers are silver (which are likely then clearcoated) and then barrel lip could be aluminum uncoated. What that means is that the center is treated like paint, and that the lips are uncoated and will tarnish and fade over time without metal polishing.

Now you can slow down the process of polishing and also protect the center painted section. You can use a paint sealant or a coating. Do not use a wax as the high heat will simply aware it away very quickly.

Here's what I might suggest :

1. Clean wheels with a safe wheel cleaner (P21S, DP, Griots)
2. Polish the lips as wanted with a metal polish for aluminum (Mothers Aluminum Polish)
3. Seal or protect with a sealant (Rejex, Blackfire) or a wheel coating (Gtechnic, Pinnacle, Optimum)

If the materials are different, the only change will be the polish. Use metal polishes only on uncoated wheels. Painted and clear coated wheels should not see metal polish, you can use a paint polish as wanted. The wheel cleaner and the protection will work on all materials, but test in small area when in doubt.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:13 PM
SWVET
Advanced

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Its hard to tell from pics, but it looks like the centers are silver (which are likely then clearcoated) and then barrel lip could be aluminum uncoated. What that means is that the center is treated like paint, and that the lips are uncoated and will tarnish and fade over time without metal polishing.

Now you can slow down the process of polishing and also protect the center painted section. You can use a paint sealant or a coating. Do not use a wax as the high heat will simply aware it away very quickly.

2. Polish the lips as wanted with a metal polish for aluminum (Mothers Aluminum Polish)
3. Seal or protect with a sealant (Rejex, Blackfire) or a wheel coating (Gtechnic, Pinnacle, Optimum)

If the materials are different, the only change will be the polish. Use metal polishes only on uncoated wheels. Painted and clear coated wheels should not see metal polish, you can use a paint polish as wanted. The wheel cleaner and the protection will work on all materials, but test in small area when in doubt.
Thank You!
Old 07-05-2015, 08:58 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If they're not clear coated then have them done.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:09 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek

I must say this is a great way to earn customers; excellent response!
Old 07-06-2015, 05:52 AM
VetteBoy1979
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 3-4-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09-'12

Originally Posted by SWVET
I recently purchased a set of new BBS LM wheels and was wondering if they should be treated was any specific product, 9.e., sealant, wax, etc. I know this is close to a similar thread, but i missed a definitive answer. Thank You

I'd contact BBS, I'm certain they can provide you with their recommended process. I always liked the LM wheels, very nice!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

need pics of it on car!
Old 07-06-2015, 12:54 PM
blueshark123
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SOmeone took apart the left rim btw. you can tell cause they mounted the lip over the face on that one.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:39 PM
SWVET
Advanced

Originally Posted by VetteBoy1979
I'd contact BBS, I'm certain they can provide you with their recommended process. I always liked the LM wheels, very nice!
Thank you. I did contact the factory and they are factory clear coated, but it was recommended a good sealant be used on a regular basis. The finish has a two year warranty. Thx Again

Get notified of new replies

To New BBS Wheels Pic.

Quick Reply: New BBS Wheels Pic.