C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just drove a 2010 911s cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 03:10 PM
kyzerd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just drove a 2010 911s cab

so a buddy of mine lives out of town and is looking to purchase his baby which he found at a dealer that I knew of in my city. He was looking at a nice Porsche 911s Convert, silver with black leather and a black top. He asked me to go look at this car and if I give him the green light he will fly in and purchase it. I am not truly a Porsche guy buy hey I know cars so no problem.

I jump in the car and first impressions were WOW this is beautiful, its tight in here, like the cluster and dash, seats feel right, ignition is on the wrong side of the cluster but I could get used to that. The shifter felt cheap as hell like the gates were made out of plastic and the center counsel where your right arm goes as all plastic, not the look I thought but still nice. I thought hell I have never considered one of these maybe I should get a 911s cab. The dealer tossed me the keys and off I went. NOT what I expected at all. The car did drive like a go-kart and I thought it handled very well however where was the power...This is a PORSCHE right??? first gear launch was not impressive ( it was a 6 speed and I did have all the traction control off) at the bottom of the box it was painfully underpowered and from 5-7000 RPM it would squeak out a bit of power it seemed. At one point I down shifted into second and hit a right turn around 50mph and nailed the throttle and expected it to rocket off like my vette. NOPE nothing but a slow acceleration until you got to 5-7000RPM.

Bottom line I drove this car for about 30 min and realized I would not trade this car for my vette for anything in the world. When I got back to the dealer the owner and I sat and had a conversation about how the power delivery is so different and how he likes the Porsche so much more on a track and how the vette is so "loose driving". My reply to that is yes the Porsche is better on a track as it has no power and a basic driver can squeak out better times with it as its so forgiving where as a vette needs to be driven or the power will over take you.

Just wanted to say how glad I am I got to drive that car, I am so NOT a Porsche guy and anyone thinking of trading in their vette for any kind of Porsche that does not say turbo on it DONT you will hate it.

Not to offend anybody that is a Porsche fan this is my opinion only as I appreciate the car just like I appreciate any just not its performance capabilities.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:30 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Post this on a Porsche Forum and see what they say!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:41 PM
kyzerd
Intermediate

yeah I don't want to start a war but I was completely surprised. Good thing there are different seats for different drivers!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:49 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default apples and oranges

shopped late model 911's, BMW Z's and found them rewarding to drive, nicer interiors, switches, seats, etc. and, in some ways, more fun to drive around town (drove "smaller" than my GS and needed to shift more often, i.e. less torque) but when I did even a cursory glance at maintenance, repairs and reliability (knowing I would keep this car after I retire) my eyes went wide...they are cars I could afford to buy but not own......
Old 07-07-2015, 04:05 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

Ignition is on the correct side... For Le Mans rules back in the days.

They had to run across the track, strap in and start the vehicle and take off.

With the ignition on the left, they could start and put it in gear at the same time.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:02 PM
door2416
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
shopped late model 911's, BMW Z's and found them rewarding to drive, nicer interiors, switches, seats, etc. and, in some ways, more fun to drive around town (drove "smaller" than my GS and needed to shift more often, i.e. less torque) but when I did even a cursory glance at maintenance, repairs and reliability (knowing I would keep this car after I retire) my eyes went wide...they are cars I could afford to buy but not own......
I am lucky enough to have both (no kids unfortunately). My 2010 GS has 11000 miles and just had the torque tube replaced. It would have been 2k if not under warranty. I got in just under the warranty by about two weeks. My 911 has 61000 miles. I replaced the water pump at 55k and have done one brake job. The total cost for both under 1k. Tires and oil changes are about the same. If you do the work yourself you can save. Have you ever heard love the one you're with? That's the way I am with these cars.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I've driven multiple generations of 911's both Carrera and the Turbo. I agree with ya. The Carrera isn't slow but it certainly doesn't feel fast after coming from a V8. The Turbo is no joke on acceleration. I haven't driven the newest ones (991) but I did drive the 997 Turbo on a track and it was a beast from an acceleration stand point.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Put it on a road coarse,

You will find out very quickly that each 911 year model is a balance in handling and HP, hence a scalpel all the way up to the current GT-3 model.

While the what the Vet lacks in handling, GM tries to make up with HP instead, hence the vet is better described as a meat cleaver on a road course instead (and gets worse the more power GM shoves into the higher models like the ZR-1).

As for a current Z07 and a GT-3, the GT-3 is seconds faster on most road courses tracks (slow or fast road course track, including willow springs, buy seconds).

So like most car mag writers, what we can come away from your review of the 911, you driving skills suck and can not tell the differences of how a car should handle/perform instead; short of rolling or strip racing alone.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:04 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

A business partner and I traded cars back on my 60th birthday a few years back. I drove his Porsche Carrera Roadster and he drove the 04 C5 that I had then. I wasn't real impressed with the Porsche but he was pleasantly surprised by the C5.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:22 PM
usdmpwr07
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's be real, the Porsche starts at 85K and the Corvette starts at 55k. The Porsche when compared at top trims that go up to and over 200K are going to be better than a Corvette.

For the money, the Corvette will smack around and beat up the 911 comparing them on price. You can have a Z06 for a base 911. If you have no budget, the 911 will win on speed and comfort.

It's all a matter of your budget and goals.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Put it on a road coarse, You will find out very quickly that each 911 year model is a balance in handling and HP, hence a scalpel all the way up to the current GT-3 model. While the what the Vet lacks in handling, GM tries to make up with HP instead, hence the vet is better described as a meat cleaver on a road course instead (and gets worse the more power GM shoves into the higher models like the ZR-1). As for a current Z07 and a GT-3, the GT-3 is seconds faster on most road courses tracks (slow or fast road course track, including willow springs, buy seconds). So like most car mag writers, what we can come away from your review of the 911, you driving skills suck and can not tell the differences of how a car should handle/perform instead; short of rolling or strip racing alone.
I was curious about your comment regarding the GT3 vs Z06 at Big Willow.
I found two recent track times both performed by Randy Pobst. From what I read, the retest of the Z and the most current GT3, the Z's actually the faster car.
You can do a simple Google search. Tests were conducted by Motor Trend the Z was a manual.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:23 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

I like the 911 but up against a Vette its no contest for my money. I saw a C7 Z06 convertible on the road here the other night, Shark Gray with black wheels and top. The stunning looks that reminded me how I felt as a kid when I saw a hot car, plus all that torque... It makes the 911 irrelevant in my books.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:32 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 386 Likes on 179 Posts

I drove my friend's 911 Turbo and, while it is a fine car, I wouldn't drive it to Florida like I do with my Corvette. First, there is not enough room to carry anything substantial and, second, the Corvette is a more secure ride.

My wife and I have driven to and back from Florida in my 05 and 13 GS for the last six years. Never an issue going or coming.

Last edited by lavla; 07-28-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:34 AM
kyzerd
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Dano523;1590001714]Put it on a road coarse,

You will find out very quickly that each 911 year model is a balance in handling and HP, hence a scalpel all the way up to the current GT-3 model.

While the what the Vet lacks in handling, GM tries to make up with HP instead, hence the vet is better described as a meat cleaver on a road course instead (and gets worse the more power GM shoves into the higher models like the ZR-1).

As for a current Z07 and a GT-3, the GT-3 is seconds faster on most road courses tracks (slow or fast road course track, including willow springs, buy seconds).

So like most car mag writers, what we can come away from your review of the 911, you driving skills suck and can not tell the differences of how a car should handle/perform instead; short of rolling or strip racing alone.[/

You see boys one shows up on every thread it's what we call a hater with zero thoughts of his own. He must've driven a Porsche once and thought he was something I give my review of the 911 versus a regular C6 and get told I have no idea how to drive or my driving skills suck. That's a big claim to make when you don't know who you're talking to. Either way everyone has a right to their own opinion and nothing anyone can tell me will change the fact that a 911 S does not compare to a C6 for every day driving and fun. Agreed it may be easier for the average driver to obtain a better autocross time with a Porsche because it is lighter and so underpowered but for every day driving I'll take the Corvette.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Whenever I think Porsche, I think hopped up VDub, haha
Old 07-08-2015, 09:17 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Test drove a 2011 911 S a few years back and was not impressed. It has zero torque compared to my car. They're nice cars but would not work for me. Oh, and as for post #8, are you referring to a ZR-1 or a ZR1? There's a big difference between the two. Do a little research before slamming the car.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I had fun in this event with a 911 Turbo. Quick car. As stated earlier, 911 base I agree feels slow. Turbo is the way it should be.

Get notified of new replies

To just drove a 2010 911s cab

Old 07-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Cyber Greg,
OEM to OEM (as they come from the dealer, with same track conditions same day), and not the trick the GM played with Nurburgring to improve the times on the models there instead.

Lets face it, we can take a track prepped Mustang to best the times of either as well.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:39 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Cyber Greg,
OEM to OEM (as they come from the dealer, with same track conditions same day), and not the trick the GM played with Nurburgring to improve the times on the models there instead.

Lets face it, we can take a track prepped Mustang to best the times of either as well.

And what trick exactly did GM play with the past Nurburgring times? As far as I know containment seat and a fire bottle was/is required by the track to do a timed run. Outside of those two changes the ZR1 & Z06 was stock, but do enlighten me.

Last edited by truth.b; 07-09-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:38 PM
theblue
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

knife vs. hammer which is better depends on your need. Also, you can give anything power with money, but you can't go the other way around.

I love my C6, but I had to do a lot to make it handle decently and realistically more if I wanted to really track it hard.

Last edited by theblue; 07-09-2015 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: just drove a 2010 911s cab