C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clear coat swirls and marred marks 2008 black corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 11:57 AM
johnrichard
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear coat swirls and marred marks 2008 black corvette

My 2008 corvette , black has light marks or marred in clear coat not scratches where you can feel with fingernail , tried to remove using Meguiar's X2.0 , followed instructions doing by hand did not remove marks on clear coat can somone help me , note do not want to use buffer or go to body shop
Old 07-11-2015, 12:06 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

There is a whole section that deals with detailing try posting there I am sure you will get lots of advice. IMO you will have to use a random obitial buffer, they are easy to use and very effective. I got mine at harbor freight and am real happy with it.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:25 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

You will need a buffer or pay someone that uses one. A DA like the Porter Cable, etc is a good investment and easy to use. Scroll down to the car care section and get more help. Tons of videos out there as well.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I also had swirl marks on my black vette, tried many times with various products to remove them nothing worked until I got an orbital buffer & used Megs 205 it did a fantastic job wish I would of done it sooner it would of saved a lot of time & sweat !! if you want it done right get a buffer..
Old 07-11-2015, 02:18 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Black cars are the most pronounced to show swirls and light scratches. To really remove them you need a random orbital buffer and a good paint correction polish. There are a lot of good ones available some of which are available at you local parts store, but I found the specialty company's that sell the products online are the best way to go.

I have used Adams products to get the swirls our. He has great instructional videos on his site and a forum just of detailing. I have not used as I said any over the counter products for this purpose, but I am sure there are some that will do the job. What you want is a cutting polish that is designed to remove the swirls. With the buffer it does not turn in a circular motions, but rather a n orbital motions and you can not burn the paint, because if you apply to much pressure the pad will simply stop.

Once you have removed them you need to change you car washing habit. This is where the majority of the swirls come from. Also if you use a detail spray in between washes how you do it and what products you use.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Mark H
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

They have all the info and products you will need.
http://www.autogeek.net/?gclid=CO2wi...FQtFaQodkZUALA

Last edited by Mark H; 07-11-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:53 PM
hungryhorace
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking nice that black vette

Its a slippery road getting in to detailing you are forever looking out for things! Accept that swirls, no matter how careful you are will occur. Its even worse for those of us without garages.

Buffering with a DA is the way to start, takes a bit of nerves but unless you are a monkey its hard to make things worse. www.detailingworld.com is a great resource of helpful people, along with the detailing section on here.

I tend to do a pre-season buff then just keep on top of wax after that until the next year. After many trials and errors with waxes, some expensive some not my personal preference is for summer to use Autoglym HD wax - very easy to apply and remove and then for longer lasting in the winter I use FK1000p which is just superb. You dont have to pay $$$. Another good tip is to get some glaze like Blackhole it leaves the paint looking wet.

Here was a slight paint correction on my red Vette, you can see before there were a load of swirls from previous owner who took care just wasnt practiced in washing....

Still some left but not as anywhere near as bad as before, this was with AG HD Wax

If you can get the music its a bonus point on this. This was the first wash after a very mucky winter of use for the M5, it had been waxed a few months earlier with FK1000P and it came up brilliantly

Here is my neighbours sunbleached car I used to practice the DA on first a few years back

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=317004
Old 07-11-2015, 09:44 PM
cegusa
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I concur with the others. A random orbital buffer and the correct choice in product will do wonders and it's quite rewarding doing it yourself. One you get that worked out a good washing routine will do wonders in helping maintain a mar free finish.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:36 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

You really need to use a Random Orbital Polisher, NOT a Rotary Buffer and good products to correct and then finish polish the paint.

Not a difficult process to learn, just time consuming.

But the results on a BLACK car when complete usually are outstanding.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:23 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by johnrichard
My 2008 corvette , black has light marks or marred in clear coat not scratches where you can feel with fingernail , tried to remove using Meguiar's X2.0 , followed instructions doing by hand did not remove marks on clear coat can somone help me , note do not want to use buffer or go to body shop
You'll have to use some sort of buffer if you want to properly correct that paint. FWIW, I use Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 to remove swirls on my cars and it works extremely well with a random orbital buffer. With just one pass I always see a very noticeable improvement. Just look at how bad the paint was on my C6 when I bought it used, and how much better it looked after one pass with my buffer and Scratch X:

Old 07-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Coach Borne
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

get a cheap orbital buffer from anywhere. use your meguiars with buffer. Afterwards use adams brillant glaze by hand , and adams buttery wax by hand and your troubles will be gone.

Originally Posted by johnrichard
Old 07-12-2015, 09:40 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Let us know how we can help .....

This should help to start considering some options ....

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Old 07-12-2015, 09:49 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 333 Posts

You can also find great information @ www.autopia.org

Black is a part time job...
Old 07-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Once scratched....machine polish/buffer is the only cure.

I have owned too many black cars...and always will.
Hand polishing products and applicators (I"ve tried too many of those too) just does not rid those minor scratches.

Good luck.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Daviddear30
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 72 Posts

I recommend Menzerna fg400 for the paint correction. I tried several polishes/compounds and this got me great results on my black c6.
Harbor Freight has a cheap powerful DA polisher (their pads are questionable) I like the LC Hybrid pads.

Get notified of new replies

To clear coat swirls and marred marks 2008 black corvette

Quick Reply: clear coat swirls and marred marks 2008 black corvette