C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi, I'm Dan and I Drove the New Miata/MX5

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 06:01 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Hi, I'm Dan and I Drove the New Miata/MX5

I must confess, I had a Miata back in '92 for seven years and loved it. Fast forward now, I'm sixty with more joint operations than I'd like to count (but I'm an old Jewish guy, I'm good at that). I stopped by a Mazda dealership (Puyallup, WA) and gave it a go.

What I missed was the nimble, small accessible driving. Don't get me wrong, my C6 is here to stay but I do miss being able to push a car a bit within the driving laws, much harder to do that in my GS...I do also feel less guilty in terms of gas mileage but our other car is a Prius.

Bottom line, I fit (I'm 6'2", 218 pounds of burnin' love) but the getting in and out left me a tad wistful.....until I got back in my torch red 2012 GS convertible 6MT....I mean does it hurt to flirt alittle?

So, where's the coffee and the cookies, I'm done confessing......
Old 07-25-2015, 06:07 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I like the new Miata. It's a really nice looking little sports car ... sorta look like a BMW Z4 in the front. Needs a more powerful engine though.

Read where a guy wrecked his '16 Miata, and it was the first one involved in a wreck. Looked like he got sandwiched between two other cars. Mazda gave him a brand spanking new one. Kinda cool.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:13 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default nice pr

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I like the new Miata. It's a really nice looking little sports car ... sorta look like a BMW Z4 in the front. Needs a more powerful engine though.

Read where a guy wrecked his '16 Miata, and it was the first one involved in a wreck. Looked like he got sandwiched between two other cars. Mazda gave him a brand spanking new one. Kinda cool.
on Mazda's part....the front even has alittle C7 look
Old 07-25-2015, 07:28 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I did hear something a bit disturbing last week about the latest Miata. Apparently, there is some kind of cooperation with Fiat. Fiat? Isn't Fiat the company with the most number of initial quality problems per 100 vehicles? But otherwise, I understand your going to look over the car. Just look carefully....
Old 07-25-2015, 08:23 PM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

You get a good driver in a Miata on sharp twisties like the Tail of the Dragon, and it will eat a C6. I know. I could not shake them and finally had to let them pass me. Its like they were a go-cart on steroids. My C6 felt like a tank compared to a Miata. But I got my revenge on a straight away later.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:28 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

Only if it had more power.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:30 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default Hi, I'm Dan and I Drove the New Miata/MX5

I think the new Miata looks fantastic, especially at its price point. If they ever put a turbo 4 in it and the brz they'll really have some great performance packages.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:00 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like Miatas but standing next to one is like being next to a go cart. They would be fun on deserted back roads but I don't like the idea of being in one on the interstate with a semi on my six.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:05 PM
TFFTBR
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm Rob and I used to own a Miata. Actually, from 1995 until I got my C4 in 2011, I owned a total of 5 of them as daily drivers and autocross toys. I agree with the other posts in that they are a blast to drive. I cringe to say it, but they were more fun than my current C6 mainly because they were so easy to drive at the limit. For this reason, it's probably a good thing Mazda has kept it underpowered. I have NO plans on going from my Corvette back into a Miata, but they did do it right when it comes to making, and keeping, a nimble car that is fun to drive.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:09 PM
VipersRnotVettes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Miata reminds me of those Shriner mini cars that they drive around during parades.

What kind of dress, or color of panties do you have to wear to drive a Miata?
Old 07-25-2015, 10:20 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

The Miata is a great sports car made even greater with this new model. I miss the nimble handling of my 1971 MG Midget. The Miata is everything the small British sports cars tried to be and so much more...like they are reliable. I am looking forward some day to taking one on a test drive.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:35 PM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

What does your husband think of your car?
Old 07-25-2015, 11:17 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Miata makes a great track car, inexpensive and will eat the C6 in the corner speeds.

It really is what a sports car is all about.

Hence I have never considered the corvette a sports car in the truest sense. Just not enough road input for the driver.

More a tourer really with some muscle.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:48 AM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

I've had a hard on for the Miata for many years, just never was the right time to get one. I love the new one especially, to the point of doing some math on getting rid of the C6.

As much as I like Miata's, I don't think I would be happy without having a Vette. The power, sound, and looks between the two are no comparison. And corny as it may sound, I love looking at the crossflags on the steering wheel knowing that I am driving the American classic.

In my case having both isn't an option right now, so I'll continue to admire the Miata from afar.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:52 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Miata makes a great track car, inexpensive and will eat the C6 in the corner speeds.

It really is what a sports car is all about.

Hence I have never considered the corvette a sports car in the truest sense. Just not enough road input for the driver.

More a tourer really with some muscle.
For those who care about definitions of cars, the above by Dave is probably most accurate. A very long time ago, the Corvette became a grand touring car*, and has increased its high performance top end to speeds and handling that true "sports cars" can't achieve. KWC6's post above is informative.

* That is, if it ever was a comparable sports car to the other sports cars of its day---some would say it did compare.

But I agreed with Dan about the Miata especially after the first time I saw several set the track time lows of the day in SCCA Solo2 at Qualcomm. They beat everything out there, and there were specially-prepared, full race C2 Corvettes as well as giant C5 stockers---one of which managed to go totally out of control and slap a relatively distant jersey wall.

As said by one above, it is not a good feeling probably to be on the Interstate with everything towering above you. But the contact with, and proximity to the road while sitting in a 2100-2300 lb. Miata really lets you know what's happening before it bites too badly. A little more power wouldn't be a bad thing, but overpowering or too much power for the car would just make it dangerous in the hands of most. And heavier even with turbos.

They could go all electric tho....
Old 07-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I would never buy a riceburner, American muscle does it for me and my family. IMHO
Old 07-26-2015, 08:47 AM
door2416
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I totally understand about a small nimble and fun to drive little car but for me I've always felt sorry when I saw a man driving a Miata. Kinda like seeing a guy driving a VW bug with a flower in the vase on the dash. (but to each his own)

Get notified of new replies

To Hi, I'm Dan and I Drove the New Miata/MX5

Old 07-26-2015, 09:13 AM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm surprised by the Amount of love that the Miata is receiving on this forum..... Doesn't fit the normal stereotype of the corvette guy.... If it doesn't have 400+ hp and giant tires that can barely do a u turn, it must be junk.....hehe...

I remember when my insurance co would not insure another v8 for me back in the late 80s and I was forced to find something cool to drive with a 4 banger..... Started with a vw Scirocco S and later a CRX si.... Inspired me to give up the drag strip for the auto X course for a while.... That's when I realized the Mazda was the perfect Lil go cart...... Those Damn sewing machines were killing everything, including the vettes ..... My CRX si had game and was faster, but it was still FWD....

I personally look forward to testing the new Mazda, not that I would ever give up the c6 for it.... But if I got inspired to have a dedicated auto X car that might be where I started....
Old 07-26-2015, 10:53 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

I dont care how fun they are, they will never shake the "chick car" stigma, in fact thats what I think about them myself, and really, they arent all that great looking...but as we say...To each their own/
Old 07-26-2015, 10:57 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

And shouldnt this be in off topic???

Quick Reply: Hi, I'm Dan and I Drove the New Miata/MX5