C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead key?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:15 PM
Murdered07
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dead key?

Just in the past week or so gojng up to the car and trying to get in it won't let me open the door anymore and every hitting the unlock button won't do anything the little red light right inside the window just blinks at me..is it a dead key fob? I haven't tried the spare key yet I will try that soon
Old 07-27-2015, 09:37 PM
BRussell
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Murdered07
Just in the past week or so gojng up to the car and trying to get in it won't let me open the door anymore and every hitting the unlock button won't do anything the little red light right inside the window just blinks at me..is it a dead key fob? I haven't tried the spare key yet I will try that soon
Maybe the battery??
Old 07-27-2015, 09:43 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by BRussell
Maybe the battery??

Could either be a dead fob battery or car battery, my guess is the car battery. Had to go away for about three months about a year ago and didn't hook up the trickle charger; when we got back, door wouldn't opened. Got in using the emergency key, tried to start the car, battery was dead. I have an '06 and haven't needed to replace the fob batteries yet.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

If the other fob doesn't work, it's probably the car battery.

However, to be sure, use the key to unlock and open the back hatch. Then pull the tag over the driver's side rear wheel to open the driver's door.

Get in the car and put one of the fobs in the slot in the glove box, with the buttons pointed toward the passenger side of the car. Try to start the car. If it starts, it's the fob batteries that are dead. If it won't start, it's the car battery that's dead.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:37 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Try other fob first. If that works then change bad fob battery.

Try the passenger door and hatch button to see if they open with either fob. If either one of those work then it is the door pad, which can be cleaned or replaced. They are fairly cheap and easy to replace.

If no doors open with either fob, pop hatch with key, pop door with pull tab on drivers side of hatch. Try to start car. If dead, pop hood and charge car battery or replace it.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead key?

Quick Reply: Dead key?