C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock muffler noise 07

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:52 PM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Stock muffler noise 07

Hi guys,

Seem to be getting a vibrating noise hum from the back end(stock mufflers) at idle, can hear it in the cabin. When I get on the gas and drive it goes away only at idle. I went underneath and tightened the muffler hangers and checked the hanger springs and everything seems fine. Never did this before was dead quiet at idle....seems when idle dips below 550rpm it hums. Any ideas

seems like something is loose or leaking.... maybe the baffle in the muffler

Doesn't sound like the torque tube bearing at least I hope not, that has a distinct paint can sound which I don't have.

Last edited by crusher1; 07-27-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:11 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by crusher1
Hi guys,

Seem to be getting a vibrating noise hum from the back end(stock mufflers) at idle, can hear it in the cabin. When I get on the gas and drive it goes away only at idle. I went underneath and tightened the muffler hangers and checked the hanger springs and everything seems fine. Never did this before was dead quiet at idle....seems when idle dips below 550rpm it hums. Any ideas

seems like something is loose or leaking.... maybe the baffle in the muffler

Doesn't sound like the torque tube bearing at least I hope not, that has a distinct paint can sound which I don't have.
Odd enough. My 2013 was quiet, no vibration, or noise. perfect. I changed to Corsa. Immediately I had exactly what you have. Never did get it fixed. I was going to change back to stock. I sold car, and he didn't want it changed out. Again your problem is EACTLY like mine was with all the same problems. I would change out the system. If under warranty, change it out.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:15 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

One last thing. 550 RPM was when the vibration started. No way to adjust it. I have had Five C6's. None of them vibrated with the stock or Corsa. None of them idled that slow either. Good Luck.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:35 AM
kevmcrae
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could very well be internal in the muffler. Just had a suburban do the same thing. New muffler, now no noise.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:06 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Take the hint. You are driving a Corvette, it is telling you that it needs to be heard. Dead quiet is not what it wants, it wants to be heard.

Most likely internal in the system.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:31 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BWF07
Take the hint. You are driving a Corvette, it is telling you that it needs to be heard. Dead quiet is not what it wants, it wants to be heard.

Most likely internal in the system.
Noise is different than your steering wheel vibrating, and your inside mirror jiggling.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock muffler noise 07

Quick Reply: Stock muffler noise 07