C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble after new battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:49 AM
cmsgt33163
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble after new battery

I recently came home on vacation. I work in Afghanistan. When I went to start my car, the battery was dead even though it was on a tender. I called AAA to come out. They found a dead cell, the battery would have been under warranty but I didn't feel like sitting around a Chevy dealer for 4 hours waiting for them to replace it. So I had AAA replace the battery. Everything was good after that. 2 days before I had to go back to work, I took car out for one last spin before I put it away for 5 months. Everything was fine at first, but I made a sharp turn, and the active handling display came on and check engine light also. The car was running very rough and had no power. I pulled over and shut car off, let it sit and then turned back on. It was still doing the same thing. I limped it home and came on forum to see if anyone else has had that problem. The only thing I could find was maybe bad cell in battery or loose coonection. So I went to check new battery, and I found that AAA hadn't installed correct battery, it didn't fit in battery tray> And because it wouldn't fit correctly, it wasn't secured in place. I called AAA back, they sent someone out and he said its the correct battery, there are tabs on battery that need to be removed for different applications. The tech did that and the battery fit. Started car, no lights on dash came on, but it was running rough. I let it sit for a couple minutes, and then the lights came back on, check engine and active handling. Has anyone run into this problem? If so, what is the fix? The good thing is the car is still under warranty and I can take it into dealer, but at the time I didn't have enough time before I left. By the way, its a 2013 Base.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:27 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

The only time I had something like a limp home/rough run was when the gas pedal sensors went out. But, what you need is to have the car checked for codes which will require a dealer trip (or a trip to an auto parts store that does it for free---but then what will you do about it?).
Old 07-29-2015, 06:12 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

check to make sure all spark plug wires are still connected.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:54 AM
COCO RICK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cmsgt33163
I recently came home on vacation. I work in Afghanistan. When I went to start my car, the battery was dead even though it was on a tender. I called AAA to come out. They found a dead cell, the battery would have been under warranty but I didn't feel like sitting around a Chevy dealer for 4 hours waiting for them to replace it. So I had AAA replace the battery. Everything was good after that. 2 days before I had to go back to work, I took car out for one last spin before I put it away for 5 months. Everything was fine at first, but I made a sharp turn, and the active handling display came on and check engine light also. The car was running very rough and had no power. I pulled over and shut car off, let it sit and then turned back on. It was still doing the same thing. I limped it home and came on forum to see if anyone else has had that problem. The only thing I could find was maybe bad cell in battery or loose coonection. So I went to check new battery, and I found that AAA hadn't installed correct battery, it didn't fit in battery tray> And because it wouldn't fit correctly, it wasn't secured in place. I called AAA back, they sent someone out and he said its the correct battery, there are tabs on battery that need to be removed for different applications. The tech did that and the battery fit. Started car, no lights on dash came on, but it was running rough. I let it sit for a couple minutes, and then the lights came back on, check engine and active handling. Has anyone run into this problem? If so, what is the fix? The good thing is the car is still under warranty and I can take it into dealer, but at the time I didn't have enough time before I left. By the way, its a 2013 Base.
You say "The good thing is the car is still under warranty and I can take it into dealer, but at the time I didn't have enough time before I left". Do you have enough time now? If yes, bring it in. If no, have them or someone else bring it in. Free warranty work is a wonderful thing.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:07 PM
richsteele
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
check to make sure all spark plug wires are still connected.

I have had this happen 3 times with the exact same symptoms you are describing. Mine were all disconnected at the coil pack.

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble after new battery

Quick Reply: Trouble after new battery