C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Track Down Your Car's New Owner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

Default How to Track Down Your Car's New Owner?

Within the next few weeks I’ll be trading in my 2006 C6 for a C7 that is currently in transit. The ’06 is in perfect condition, only 18,000 – It’s really like a new car.

I have all the original documentation, accessory receipts, service records, etc. that the eventual new owner would probably like to have. I know that most dealers prefer not to have buyers in contact with the previous owner in case they hear negative comments. That's why I don't plan to leave this stuff in the car when It's traded-in.

Does anyone know a way to reach the buyer of a vehicle that you’ve traded in? I’m not looking to sell this stuff. I’d just like to keep it with the car and it has no value to me once the car is gone.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:19 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Globeman
Within the next few weeks I’ll be trading in my 2006 C6 for a C7 that is currently in transit. The ’06 is in perfect condition, only 18,000 – It’s really like a new car.
I have all the original documentation, accessory receipts, service records, etc. that the eventual new owner would probably like to have. I know that most dealers prefer not to have buyers in contact with the previous owner in case they hear negative comments. That's why I don't plan to leave this stuff in the car when It's traded-in.
Does anyone know a way to reach the buyer of a vehicle that you’ve traded in? I’m not looking to sell this stuff. I’d just like to keep it with the car and it has no value to me once the car is gone.
1. Put all the stuff in the cubby and hope it stays...
2. Put a card with your name on it in the middle of the owners manual or under a seat, etc...
3. Make nice with a cop after it's sold to get the new owner's information.[LIST]
Old 07-29-2015, 01:26 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I would just use a permanent marker to black out all my personal info and stick it in the cubby.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Glen1224
Burning Brakes

Location: Lower Macungie Township ; Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I put: Call Glen and my phone number in the DIC .
Old 07-29-2015, 07:04 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

If the car has a phone (both my '09 and my '14 do), you can call it and talk to the new owner. The number is permanent and stays with the car.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

There were no secrets when we traded in our '08. I left the original window sticker with the car and, thanks to the dealer involved, communicated with the eventual purchaser of our car (Traderfjp on this forum) and tried to be as "up front" as I could be about our car. If you have nothing to hide the dealer will be very happy to pass your info along if you so desire.

For what it's worth, I am also in contact with the gentleman who purchased our '01 that was traded for the '08.

Last edited by Revette; 07-29-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:03 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Don't understand why,when I sell or trade in a car,who cares where it goes,I'm already in my new ride with new memories to make!! but that's just me.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:04 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

States and dealers all handle it differently
We traded our Indy SS in several years ago had all the gm docs, letters, memorabilia etc and the dealer told me to take it home as they would just throw it away since Ohio hipa laws prevent them from sharing info with our name on it
I know the car sold in ky but have been unable to track the owner down
Old 07-29-2015, 08:30 PM
pure zen
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm with Don-Vette on this one,,,after selling my nice, well cared for cars, the last thing I want to do is run into the next owner.

IF they have had any problems, they want to tell you all about them. Like I G-A-C about hearing any whining about their problems. The car was in excellent condition when I sold it.

Get notified of new replies

To How to Track Down Your Car's New Owner?

Quick Reply: How to Track Down Your Car's New Owner?