C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT4 dash lifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:41 PM
BBBx3
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LT4 dash lifting

Hey there forum members. Back in Jan bought my first Corvette - 08 C6 LT4. Got it in SC and drove it back to MD. A few days later found the leather dash was lifting by the windshield. Read postings where others ran into same issue but was covered under warrantee. Not only is car out of warrantee but the dash is no longer available. Was curious if others have run into this issue and what if anything was done to fix it.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:07 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,341 Likes on 884 Posts

Do you mean 4LT? LT4 is the engine code
Old 07-29-2015, 11:39 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jbc1995fb
Do you mean 4LT? LT4 is the engine code
Uh, no, I don't think so.

4LT is the option package code alright, but LT4 is not the engine code.

Engine codes are LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:27 AM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,341 Likes on 884 Posts

Sorry wasn't trying to hijack your thread. Sorry that your dash is messing up. Best of luck getting it sorted out.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:47 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by BBBx3
Hey there forum members. Back in Jan bought my first Corvette - 08 C6 LT4. Got it in SC and drove it back to MD. A few days later found the leather dash was lifting by the windshield. Read postings where others ran into same issue but was covered under warrantee. Not only is car out of warrantee but the dash is no longer available. Was curious if others have run into this issue and what if anything was done to fix it.
To the other's points, it's "4LT". LT4 was the engine code in '96 and with the new C7 Z06

At any rate, what you'll find is that those with trouble either take it to an auto upholstery shop or they pull back the leather and re-glue it themselves. The ability to do that depends on where it's separating. In some cases, to really fix it correctly, you need to remove the dash.

I'd run it by a few shops and get some quotes and references.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:30 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Contact CULTRAG, he should have some and had the best price when I was looking (1800.00) for dash. Some of us were fortunate and Chevrolet stepped up and replaced them under a customer satisfaction program. I paid a $400.00 deductible but they did an awesome job, 2 days to replace.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:45 PM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Unfortunately this apparently a common problem expecially with vettes in the southern states where it gets so hot....the glue they used apparently was substandard and did not hold. I was fortunate to be able to get GM Chevy to help replace the dash when I purchased a used 2009 convertible with 4LT interior last August 2014. Mine had come loose around the HUD and defroster vents. The dealership took it to a local auto interior shop, who was able to glue it down, but it still didn't look right. When I spoke with the body shop, they said they were unable to get back far enough on the dash to glue it all down, thus the bubble. They said that they could not warranty how long it would last like that. They said I could poke it with a needle and see what happened...this was not acceptable so I was able to get the Dealership to swap out the dash after they spoke with Chevy. Its a one time replacement under customer satisfaction. They said if it comes loose again, its on me next time.....not very encouraging....my only problem now is what to use on it to keep it clean and protected, that will not make it happen again. I have been using Maquires leather wipes...hope this will work. I did look into dash pads and they are available. You would think the Corvette being the Flagship of the Chevy, that they could do a better job on the dash to keep this from becoming a common problem for years....here are photos after the auto interior shop glued it down. They said they would have to take the dash completely out to take the cover off and reglue it to make it right, and still wouldn't give any guarantee on it working....
Attached Images   

Last edited by Richard F; 07-30-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:07 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Seems like it would be a lot easier, faster and cheaper to just take the windshield out instead of the whole dash. Should have plenty of room to work that way.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:46 PM
BBBx3
Intermediate

Thanks for all the comments. Apologies for misstating LT4 rather than 4LT. Will look into all the suggestions mentioned. We have thought about the windshield removal aspect but until we have an actual need to replace the windshield then this option isn't justified. Will start looking into upholstery shops to see who is reputable.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:47 PM
BBBx3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Richard F
Unfortunately this apparently a common problem expecially with vettes in the southern states where it gets so hot....the glue they used apparently was substandard and did not hold. I was fortunate to be able to get GM Chevy to help replace the dash when I purchased a used 2009 convertible with 4LT interior last August 2014. Mine had come loose around the HUD and defroster vents. The dealership took it to a local auto interior shop, who was able to glue it down, but it still didn't look right. When I spoke with the body shop, they said they were unable to get back far enough on the dash to glue it all down, thus the bubble. They said that they could not warranty how long it would last like that. They said I could poke it with a needle and see what happened...this was not acceptable so I was able to get the Dealership to swap out the dash after they spoke with Chevy. Its a one time replacement under customer satisfaction. They said if it comes loose again, its on me next time.....not very encouraging....my only problem now is what to use on it to keep it clean and protected, that will not make it happen again. I have been using Maquires leather wipes...hope this will work. I did look into dash pads and they are available. You would think the Corvette being the Flagship of the Chevy, that they could do a better job on the dash to keep this from becoming a common problem for years....here are photos after the auto interior shop glued it down. They said they would have to take the dash completely out to take the cover off and reglue it to make it right, and still wouldn't give any guarantee on it working....
Don't know what it looked like before but that isn't tooooo bad but not perfect either
Old 07-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

It was worse than this around the defroster vent, but for some reason I cant find a photo of it now....

I too thought that they would take out the windshield to make the repair instead of trying to glue it from inside the car....from what I was told, they didn't want to risk the windshield or have to replace it.

I had reservations on having he Dealership replace the dash, as I figured that all sorts of things would happen, parts break, loose wires, squeeks, etc, but after a year now, it still looks good and no noise or anything from the replacement dash. They even left the old glove box so that I would have the original RPO sticker on it. Overall they did a great job and I was impressed.
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2015, 03:19 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard F
It was worse than this around the defroster vent, but for some reason I cant find a photo of it now....

I too thought that they would take out the windshield to make the repair instead of trying to glue it from inside the car....from what I was told, they didn't want to risk the windshield or have to replace it.

I had reservations on having he Dealership replace the dash, as I figured that all sorts of things would happen, parts break, loose wires, squeeks, etc, but after a year now, it still looks good and no noise or anything from the replacement dash. They even left the old glove box so that I would have the original RPO sticker on it. Overall they did a great job and I was impressed.
I am beyond happy with mine, if you go to a good shop, it shouldn't be that bad, my interior was much worse when they did my stereo install. I too, thought of the windshield, there is no way anyone could wrap the material around the ends and make it look good. Just a side note, when I did some research, this is not Chevrolets fault (my opinion of course), as the same company that did our cars also does very high end cars which also have some issues. Apparently the government changed some regulations with materials used which has negatively affected the durability of the glue.

Get notified of new replies

To LT4 dash lifting

Quick Reply: LT4 dash lifting