C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A thought on engine / coolant temp questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 07:39 PM
b09676
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default A thought on engine / coolant temp questions

Hey guys

As I was driving the vette around just now, it occurred to me that many of us have a minor obsession with the temps, especially in the summer. However, it also occurs to me that wih most of my past vehicles, rental cars, trucks, etc., I have never really paid that much attention to it. I think it's because we have this wonderful DIC that tells us exactly what we're running. Remember the past cars with just idiot lights? They were fine and we never really worried about it unless we had overheating, which is not that common.

My point - I don't know that we need to be all that concerned and let's just enjoy driving with out constantly looking at the DIC numbers or the gauge itself for that matter.

Just food for thought. Comments?
Old 07-30-2015, 08:16 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I agree 100% but I would add that this general idea applies to many other aspects of the Corvette as well. An example would be the undercarriage. People who have never looked under a car before get a Corvette and soon are under the car cleaning the undercarriage with a toothbrush and worrying about the oil sweating on the oil pan. Etc, etc.....
Old 07-30-2015, 08:26 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

We are old and we don't have anything else to do.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:36 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Unfortunately, I've been a 'gauge watcher' since my first car. Left my car with my parents when I joined the service; came home on leave after 6 months and was assured my car had been run on a regular basis. Long story short, the first time I took it for a drive, it severely overheated and the motor seized...that was over 35 years ago and I've been **** about watching my gauges ever since
Old 07-30-2015, 08:41 PM
b09676
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Welker1
Unfortunately, I've been a 'gauge watcher' since my first car. Left my car with my parents when I joined the service; came home on leave after 6 months and was assured my car had been run on a regular basis. Long story short, the first time I took it for a drive, it severely overheated and the motor seized...that was over 35 years ago and I've been **** about watching my gauges ever since
Wow, in your case I don't blame you a bit.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:02 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

I think that's good that each year more and more features of monitoring a cars' vitals is available. That is much better than back in the day where it was just a water temp gauge of C to H. Or a oil pressure gauge of L to H.

Coming from turbo cars, modified imports, i know exactly what it's like to monitor gauges. I had an autometer or a DEFI gauge in almost every modified car since owning a license. I like to know what's going on. Not just to be "race car" like or "fast and furious" like.

Since owning a car i have always been a gauge watcher. Even in my daily drivers, beat up cars i don't really care about that i use for work and/or winter use etc. I just like to take care of my cars (health wise).

With the vette, on the DIC display i have coolant temp in sight at all times during my drive. Even though the stock needle coolant temp gauge is sufficient enough to glance at.

I do agree we should not worry too much and just drive but i do think it's fine to be a bit OCD on looking at vitals. That's why our cars have those features to look at, so we can monitor it.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:33 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

My obsession is voltage. So much so that sometimes I wish there was no voltage gauge.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:36 PM
Kurmudjon
Advanced

Location: I warm so easy so dance me loose -- it shines so bright the moon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have DIC on coolant temperature most of the time.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:48 PM
alanshore
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default yup

Just changed to a 160 stat yesterday so I'm obsessing over the coolant Temps. Always been a Gauge watcher, especially the fuel gauge dropping like a rock.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:58 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,956 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My temp scores are up on the DIC most of the time or the instant fuel mileage.....if something goes wrong the bells will start going off and it will tell me what is wrong so I try to look at what I'm driving through.....I do hate it when the bells start going off..........
Old 07-30-2015, 10:10 PM
MitchyBobby
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had four gauges in my dirt late model. They were water temp, fuel pressure, oil pressure and oil temp. I also had lights for low oil pressure, low water pressure and low fuel pressure. It was hard at first to look at gauges will flying around a dirt track with a bunch other idiots just like me inches apart. After a while your brain slows everything down around you and you would learn to look at the gauges when you could and trust your lights when you couldn't. New cars are for the most part more reliable than ever, but we hear about the bad things and it's always on your mind.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:26 PM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

I'm part of the always watching club!
Old 07-30-2015, 10:26 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Huskerman
My temp scores are up on the DIC most of the time or the instant fuel mileage.....if something goes wrong the bells will start going off and it will tell me what is wrong so I try to look at what I'm driving through.....I do hate it when the bells start going off..........
I usually have the long-term fuel mileage up. There are some hills around me that are a mile + long, and when going down I like to see the mileage number creep up.

I always reset with every tank, but if the tank is getting low the number will only go up a tenth or two. With a full tank it will go up several MPG.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:28 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by simplegto
We are old and we don't have anything else to do.
and proud to be above ground at this point
NSF
Old 07-30-2015, 10:31 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by EVRose
My obsession is voltage. So much so that sometimes I wish there was no voltage gauge.
I noticed mine drop into the low 13s the last few weeks at red lights. I am starting to be a voltage watcher too.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:05 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by simplegto
I noticed mine drop into the low 13s the last few weeks at red lights. I am starting to be a voltage watcher too.
Mine drops into the high 12s at idle with everything on at night with AC running. It goes right back up when I get going and always starts no problem though.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:26 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Overheating on Florida trips, or pulling a trailer, etc. in the past, you bet I'm watching my gauges, especially on the nicest thing I own.

Get notified of new replies

To A thought on engine / coolant temp questions

Old 07-30-2015, 11:47 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Most of us know we push these cars a bit harder than we push our family car, and we know the cost of replacing major parts is going to be a lot more than on most family cars. Therefore, while we enjoy watching dials move and numbers blink by, we also adopt a greater awareness in these vehicles.

Any votes for that??????
Old 07-31-2015, 09:03 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't even watch the fuel gauge
Old 07-31-2015, 09:17 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I watch oil temps right out of the garage. Then go to coolant temp.

What has me a little worried is my coolant temp has gone up to 203 to 205 while on the hwy. Never has been that high before just cruising at 75 to 80.

Not sure what to do now. I washed the condenser and radiator and the fan is working properly.

How do we check the water pump for normal flow? No way to look in the radiator like on other cars.

Quick Reply: A thought on engine / coolant temp questions