C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who parks their C6 outside?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Joe Link
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who parks their C6 outside?

Unfortunately, I don't have a garage or covered parking. My C6 will be my daily driver. I'll be buying a car cover for times I won't be driving it and poor weather, but I won't be covering it every night. Luckily I live in Portland, OR, a rather temperate climate. Anyone else in the same situation? What do you do to keep your car in the best shape possible?

Last edited by Joe Link; 08-02-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:54 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Get a house first and then get a nice Corvette......

Just sayin'.....
Old 08-02-2015, 03:55 PM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 08-02-2015, 04:11 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I've read other threads where people mention they don't have a garage. One guy wrote that he stores it outside during the winter covered with snow. It's a car and should be just fine outside like any other car. They will age faster then one that's protected but it has been done many times. I had a fiat X-19 a long time ago that stayed outside year around and it was no problem.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:34 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Mine spent the first 2 years outside. It's a car. it will be just fine. Just make sure that you give it a good coat of wax every 6 months or so.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:42 PM
voodoochikin04
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I get so tired of reading when people say get a house with a garage before having a nice car... Wtf is that? Some people live in apartments, or town houses, condos... Because they choose too. Some people buy houses without huge yards or garages... Does that mean they shouldn't have the car they want? NO... That mindset is flawed. Not owning a house with s garage should have no bearing on your character according to others...but it sure seems to. Lame. Guys give me **** when they see my car outside my store when its overcast or raining... "Put that thing away" is a common comment... It's JUST a car. Meant to be driven. It has weather stripping and windshield wipers for a reason. Lol
Old 08-02-2015, 04:43 PM
_05C6_
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts

I recently purchased my first Corvette and it will only be in the garage overnight. It's my daily and it will stay outside all day.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:44 PM
Joe Link
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer
Get a house first and then get a nice Corvette......

Just sayin'.....
Originally Posted by SpeedUp
I own a condo by choice

Originally Posted by 1rusty1
I've read other threads where people mention they don't have a garage. One guy wrote that he stores it outside during the winter covered with snow. It's a car and should be just fine outside like any other car. They will age faster then one that's protected but it has been done many times. I had a fiat X-19 a long time ago that stayed outside year around and it was no problem.
Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Mine spent the first 2 years outside. It's a car. it will be just fine. Just make sure that you give it a good coat of wax every 6 months or so.

Great, this is the info I was looking for
Old 08-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Link
Great, this is the info I was looking for
C7s are great in the snow.

Attachment 48360063

Aside from that, I guess it depends on why you have a Corvette, how long you plan on keeping it, how much you drive it, etc. As someone above mentioned, anything left outside (including cars, hunks of wood, garden tools, etc.) will age quicker than if left inside.

My '07 is a summer toy (I have a truck too) and is in my barn unless I'm driving it. I don't leave home in the rain, but if I get caught in the rain, oh well.

It's very easy to keep clean this way.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:14 PM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

Mine is stored outside, just an outdoor cover
Old 08-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Filiatrault9
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Z06 is parked outside all of summer and stored in a paid garage for winter. It obviously gets dirty much quicker, so you just have to keep up with cleaning it, and using an outdoor cover if you won't be using it for a few days. Other than that it's just annoying to be sitting in my living room and see people walking around my car. One day i'll have a garage and the peace of mind that comes with it!
Old 08-02-2015, 05:42 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

My pickup lives outside 24/7. I don't buy the notion that it will age any faster than if it was in the garage at night. If you think about it, it's the sun that does the damage to a vehicle, not the fact it's parked outside at night.

Keep a coat of wax on it and it will be fine.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:47 PM
jdlew
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

i daily drive mine and also do not have any type of covered area to park it. only means i wash it more often and wax more than others would. other than that it is a car that was designed to be driven in all types of weather.

p.s. my avatar pics are where it is parked everyday and it is only a gravel drive way.

Last edited by jdlew; 08-02-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,141 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoFors68
Mine is stored outside, just an outdoor cover

Same here.

I actually park my vette at my parents house. Lucky for me we live in the same town and i only use the car on weekends anyway so it works perfect.

They don't have a garage but a long tandem style driveway with a gate and i just park the vette all the way in the back by the backyard area and put a cover on it.

Props to those who daily the car and park it on the street. I don't think i'd be able to sleep at night.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:13 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
My pickup lives outside 24/7. I don't buy the notion that it will age any faster than if it was in the garage at night. If you think about it, it's the sun that does the damage to a vehicle, not the fact it's parked outside at night.

Pretty much agree, however it applies more to older stuff.
My '04 Silverado has spent nearly all it's life outside and it's never been waxed since new. Just washing about once a month has still resulted in a great finish. I expected the interior to have problems, but no visible issues yet. The sun shines here more than any sizable city in the country, so that's a testament to newer finishes and fabrics.
Phoenix 85% sunshine
Minneapolis 58%
Portland 48%
Old 08-02-2015, 06:30 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

I lived in a hotel with no parking structure for 6 months.
Attachment 48366449

Sometimes I get to lazy to park in the garage after a road trip.
Attachment 48366450
Old 08-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6

I didn't specify "day or night," but I stand by what I said, the point being:

The weather (sun, wind, rain, hail, snow) "weathers" things. Some things faster than others, but it is unstoppable. It may or may not matter, depending on what the object is. Roof shingles wear out; siding, no matter what it is made out of, wears out. All because of "the weather."

Buy two new shovels and two 2 x 4s. Leave one set out "in the weather," and the other set inside somewhere. Compare what they look like in 5 years.

Get notified of new replies

To Who parks their C6 outside?

Old 08-02-2015, 06:35 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

You asked about shade. Probably the afternoon sun is hotter, so perhaps park on the east side of the building if that is a choice. The car cover will minimize the exposure of the interior to the sun. That can only help, provided the cover is not put on while the car is dirty, or after the cover is dirty. Get a decent cover that you can put in the washing machine or at least launder by hand if you plan to use the cover a lot.

Shade would be far down the list of concerns in relationship to a "secure" area if there is anything that will help keep it home.

My first fun car was bought long before I owned my first home. I had it about two years. Unfortunately, after I moved to Homestead Florida, one of the thieves that was in the area took it one night. Do what you can to protect against theft.

If it is a daily driver, it sits outside all day while at work unless your company has a parking garage. So, your time in the weather isn't hugely different than if you had a garage.

Last edited by cartop2; 08-02-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:37 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
I didn't specify "day or night," but I stand by what I said, the point being:

The weather (sun, wind, rain, hail, snow) "weathers" things. Some things faster than others, but it is unstoppable. It may or may not matter, depending on what the object is. Roof shingles wear out; siding, no matter what it is made out of, wears out. All because of "the weather."

Buy two new shovels and two 2 x 4s. Leave one set out "in the weather," and the other set inside somewhere. Compare what they look like in 5 years.
That's fine but what does that have to do with a garage. A vehicle that get used daily is subject to the weather if it's garaged or not. If we're talking garage queens, well that's a different story.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:32 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Something to consider if you are using a cover; it is better to leave it uncovered than put a cover on anything less than a spotless car.

Buy a windshield shade, instead, and a cargo- cover, if your car didn't come with one. The potential scratching from a cover with dirt/dust on the car over time will ruin your paint.

Quick Reply: Who parks their C6 outside?