C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 driver door won't open - yes have read other posts...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:49 PM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C6 driver door won't open - yes have read other posts...

I'm apparently sharing an issue where the outside handle and inside button will signal the driver door to open, the window will lower to position, and the door will not open... unless there has been some time, 5-10 minutes between the last opening. The emergency latch will open the door.

When I wait 5-10min, the door will open, and if I close and retry, nope. I've left the door open and cycled the door mechanism with a screw driver, and can hear the 'actuator' attempt to open the door on the second and third tries. On the second and try, the 'actuator' noise becomes less strong, and by the third or forth try, nothing. Again, if I wait a bit, the actuator will fully 'unlock'. The assembly has been lubricated well, and it does not appear anything, that I can see, is sticking.

The passenger door has no issues.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:56 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Time to replace the lock mechanism.

Have seen a few threads lately about this.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Meh Vette
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Exact same thing mine was doing, its the lock mechanism in the door frame. The part is about $190 and will take all of 20 minutes to change if you have never done it before. It seems the hot weather makes the weak or dying actuator fail completely until it cools off again.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:36 PM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Meh Vette
Exact same thing mine was doing, its the lock mechanism in the door frame. The part is about $190 and will take all of 20 minutes to change if you have never done it before. It seems the hot weather makes the weak or dying actuator fail completely until it cools off again.
You know the heat may be part of the issue.

So I had my car in for service on another question (window cowl buzzing) and rear view mirror lights on al the time (it ended up being the button as a few folks suggested), but anyway, after 1 1/2 at the dealership, they did not have time to get anything done (I didn't have an appointment), and when I got home the door issue was noticed, 1:00 pm on a warmer day in Oceanside than normal, and that is when I noticed the door issue

If I waited a bit, it would open once...

I turned off the mirror lights, as they had been running on since at the dealership, and put the car on a charger.

This morning, I could cycle open the driver door twice, and on the third time, it would fail. It's back at the dealership to be fixed, along with the recall on the catalytic converter.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

you need a new latch in the B-pillar

Originally Posted by J Christensen
I'm apparently sharing an issue where the outside handle and inside button will signal the driver door to open, the window will lower to position, and the door will not open... unless there has been some time, 5-10 minutes between the last opening. The emergency latch will open the door.

When I wait 5-10min, the door will open, and if I close and retry, nope. I've left the door open and cycled the door mechanism with a screw driver, and can hear the 'actuator' attempt to open the door on the second and third tries. On the second and try, the 'actuator' noise becomes less strong, and by the third or forth try, nothing. Again, if I wait a bit, the actuator will fully 'unlock'. The assembly has been lubricated well, and it does not appear anything, that I can see, is sticking.

The passenger door has no issues.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:48 AM
ibicycle
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just did this. Part was $170 shipped. The trim on the door sill and pillar need to be removed to access the latch. 2 sizes of torx screws and 30 minutes or so. The forums search is lousy. Do a google search and you'll come up with the forum posts on this fix.
Dave
Old 08-09-2015, 05:23 PM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Dealership replaced under Mercury warranty. Great!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 driver door won't open - yes have read other posts...

Quick Reply: C6 driver door won't open - yes have read other posts...