C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the c6 pedal on a hinge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 08:27 PM
Smarsomthing
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why is the c6 pedal on a hinge?

Just as the post title says, I noticed while installing aftermarket pedals. You could move the gas pedal down without actually applying any gas.

Does anybody know why?
Old 08-08-2015, 09:16 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I think I understand your question. There is a hinge whereby if you pull from behind the BOTTOM of the pedal it will flex upward. Conversely if you push forward on the bottom of the pedal with minimal pressure no further extension of the pedal results. My sense is the hinge aspect of the pedal serves to achieve a more constant contact in the face of variable foot positions along the pedal up and down and secondarily the angle of your foot as it meets the pedal. A second thought is that as one extends (and at some point flexes) their leg as they lift off of the pedal the hinge joint allows for forgiveness of throttle input. The pedal itself flexes upward as your unknowing foot lets off the accelerator and tips the pedal. If there was no hinge likely you would give an input for throttle. Not doing so here. Look...this is all speculation and humble reasonable deduction. If my current job ever fails maybe your question will get me into the business of car accelerator pedal manufacturing. I will give you 20 percent on profits! Hahaha
Old 08-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Smarsomthing
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly what I'm talking about! I noticed the c7 are floor mounted.

I'll take you up on that 20% haha. Makes sense, just never noticed it on my previous manuals.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:49 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm not sure about other car companies, but Ford has had the "hinged" gas pedals since the mid 1960's. Because the gas pedal is mounted to the car above the actual pedal, and because the heel of the driver's foot tends to rest on the floor, two opposing arcs are created when depressing the gas pedal (one from the driver's foot, the other from the pedal itself). The original intention, I believe I read many years ago, of the "hinged" pedal, was to compensate for the two different arcs, and allow the driver's foot to remain flat against the pedal. I hope this makes sense.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:47 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

My 67 Camaro, 99 Camaro, 2006 Corvette, and 2013 Grand Sport all had the same pedal and attachment, even though the two corvettes are "Accelerate by Wire" while the rest were all direct throttle linkage.

Edit: My answer to the question is because that is the way Chevy has done it for 50+ years.

Last edited by jsucraig; 08-09-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is the c6 pedal on a hinge?

Quick Reply: Why is the c6 pedal on a hinge?