C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Pal Ipod Interface stop working (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Neck Breaker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GM Pal Ipod Interface stop working (Help)

I have a 06 coupe with the 3LT package with no CD changer. The previous owner put in a GM Pal Ipod Interface. Yesterday cruise to Charlottesville winery my Ipod interface stop working. The head unit doesn’t recognize the source. It used to say XM1/XM2 for one of the sources. Now it only says FM1 for one source and FM2 for the other. My ipod use to would work with XM1 source but now the head unti doesn’t recognize a XM source at all.

Is there a way to bring back my XM1/XM2 source on the head unit? I check the GM pal and everything looks to be in order. There a light on the pal and it red. I’m assuming the red light means power. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2015, 09:57 PM
okc329
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Check Connections

Where is the PAL installed? Check as many of the connections as you can get to. Mine on my convertible is installed under the passenger's floor board. Is it a factory unit not modified in any way?
Old 08-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Neck Breaker
Pro

Originally Posted by okc329
Where is the PAL installed? Check as many of the connections as you can get to. Mine on my convertible is installed under the passenger's floor board. Is it a factory unit not modified in any way?
Minds is located in the left rear corner by the manual door open lever. From what I can tell it not modified. I'll have to check tomorrow and follow all the wires to see if everything is connected correctly. I'll report what I find tomorrow after work.

Funny thing is it works all the way to the winery. We went on a tour and for about a hour. Came back no xm anymore. Hot day but I don't think the heat would of cause this issue.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:43 PM
okc329
Intermediate

Default Power Toggle Pal

Might be a good thing to unplug all connections to PAL for a complete reset. Also, there is a cable that plugs into the head unit that needs to be checked. Is the iPod interface cable in the glovebox or console?
Old 08-09-2015, 10:47 PM
okc329
Intermediate

Default PAL on 2006?

Thinking more about this, was the PAL available from GM in 2006?
Old 08-09-2015, 11:42 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Pull the radio fuse, wait a couple minutes and plug it back in. It will magically reappear. Had to do that with mine from time to time.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:38 AM
dshamrick
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 147 Posts

I have seen this on Ray's website. What he recommends is that you unplug the PAL Completely and replug all the connections back to factory and start the car. You should see the original settings on the radio. Turn it off and reconnect the PAL and start the car again. That should do it. If not, Ray Kawl has a great site and can probably get you sorted out.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Neck Breaker
Pro

Thinking more about this, was the PAL available from GM in 2006?
I'm not sure. I'm assuming the previous owner put it in.

Originally Posted by spdkilz911
Pull the radio fuse, wait a couple minutes and plug it back in. It will magically reappear. Had to do that with mine from time to time.
Originally Posted by dshamrick
I have seen this on Ray's website. What he recommends is that you unplug the PAL Completely and replug all the connections back to factory and start the car. You should see the original settings on the radio. Turn it off and reconnect the PAL and start the car again. That should do it. If not, Ray Kawl has a great site and can probably get you sorted out.
I'll give the fuse a try tonight after I unplug it all and re-plug it 1st. Hopefully one of these will work.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Neck Breaker
Pro

Might be a good thing to unplug all connections to PAL for a complete reset. Also, there is a cable that plugs into the head unit that needs to be checked. Is the iPod interface cable in the glovebox or console?
It's neither. I coming from the rear. So it not in the console but a free wire coming from the rear hatch. When I don't use it I just lay it behind the passenger seat out of view.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:42 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

This is a common problem with the PAL. The PAL it self gets so hot you could fry an egg on it, thats when it usually goes out. You could do the fuse thing but I just pull the main plug from the PAL and wait a few minutes plug it back in and all is well. I have the PAL install in the same place as you in the hatch area.

Last edited by myfunz; 08-10-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Funny, I developed the same problem about a week ago. 2009 w/nav and PAL, using Ray's custom harness. Radio no longer shows XM1 or XM2, so the PAL/Ipod are inop; everything else ok. It was time for a new main battery and I had one installed, made no change.

My PAL is high on the trunk sidewall behind the side carpeting. I had to remove the plastic trim piece on the left targa holder to do the install, wonder if I can just pull the top of the carpet loose and unplug/replug the PAL harness, without removing the targa holder, XM box and tray, etc?

Pulling the radio fuse should be even easier, but doesn't that circuit go dead anyway when you shut down and open a door?
Hmmm, sometimes I could hear the PAL clicking several minutes after exiting the car, so maybe it's on some hot circuit.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 08-11-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:29 PM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

Unplug and plug back in. Worked for me.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Funny, I developed the same problem about a week ago. 2009 w/nav and PAL, using Ray's custom harness. Radio no longer shows XM1 or XM2, so the PAL/Ipod are inop; everything else ok. It was time for a new main battery and I had one installed, made no change.

My PAL is high on the trunk sidewall behind the side carpeting. I had to remove the plastic trim piece on the left targa holder to do the install, wonder if I can just pull the top of the carpet loose and unplug/replug the PAL harness, without removing the targa holder, XM box and tray, etc?

Pulling the radio fuse should be even easier, but doesn't that circuit go dead anyway when you shut down and open a door?
Hmmm, sometimes I could hear the PAL clicking several minutes after exiting the car, so maybe it's on some hot circuit.
Driving home from the dealer yesterday after the new battery was installed, XM1 and XM2 were still not visible in my nav/radio screen, so the PAL/Ipod were still inop.

This morning I started the car and XM1 XM2 are now displayed on the "Source" screen, and the PAL/Ipod are working normally.

Go figure...
Old 08-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Neck Breaker
Pro

Yesterday I go to the rear and find the PAL. To my surprised the light was still on and the unit was still warm. Not hot but you can feel a little heat from it. I unplug all the wires and left it in the trunk to cool down. I got tied up with some other stuff so I haven't plug it back in yet.

Question:

Should the unit be on when the car is off? Those that have easy access to it. Can you check and see if your PAL is still warm or if you see a red light on your unit. I'm surprised to see it on unless popping the trunk turn on some electronics for the unit. But that doesn't explain why it was warm. Car hasn't been started since Saturday and it sitting in a garage.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

I can't answer your question directly, but...

Sometimes I and others can hear the PAL making clicking noises for several minutes after the car is shut down and everything seems dead.

Also, even if my car has been shut down for hours, if I open the trunk and then look in the left cubby where my Ipod resides, sometimes the Ipod will be glowing "On". If it's off, simply moving the Ipod in the cubby will turn it on. Since the rest of the car is shut down, I can't tell if it's actually playing music at that point.

"Never turn your back on an electron."
Old 08-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Neck Breaker
Pro

Originally Posted by myfunz
This is a common problem with the PAL. The PAL it self gets so hot you could fry an egg on it, thats when it usually goes out. You could do the fuse thing but I just pull the main plug from the PAL and wait a few minutes plug it back in and all is well. I have the PAL install in the same place as you in the hatch area.
Thanks everybody for your help. I plug the main wire back in this evening after it unplugging it last night and everything seems to be back to normal. XM1/XM2 is showing up on the head unit. I'm able to see the ipod controls, etc.

Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Pal Ipod Interface stop working (Help)

Quick Reply: GM Pal Ipod Interface stop working (Help)