C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run flat ruined?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 10:20 AM
bg74
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run flat ruined?

My wife drove my 2010 GS home on a completely flat Goodyear Eagle Super Car EMT rear tire last night. While this would normally not be a concern, she apparently drove about 20 miles at normal highway speeds (75-80 mph).

I checked the tire when she arrived home - it looks completely fine but truly does have absolutely zero air pressure. I haven't located the source of the puncture as yet. Goodyear's website indicates that it is acceptable to repair a puncture in the tread area on a RFT. However, is this tire now unsafe because it was driven at sustained high speed with no air?

If I'm going to be replacing one half-worn 325/19 Goodyear, I would replace both rear tires. We all know these tires aren't very good anyway, so then instead I might be tempted to replace all 4 with another brand.

Contenders are the Bridgestone Potenza run-flats, or the Continental Extreme Contact (non-runflat). Am I asking for trouble putting conventional tires on a car with no jack or spare?

Thanks for any insights!
Old 08-15-2015, 10:24 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I wouldn't trust that tire now buy you should speak with your Goodyear dealer. Also I always replace tires in pairs.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:30 AM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,970 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

......after they have been run flat they can't be run again is what I have always heard. the sidewall is weakened because it has supported that side of the car for however long......and in your case they did a great job getting your wife home safe.

Go with the Stone-P's they are a great tire.....and its like your story why run flats are important to have........your wife would have been stranded and there might have been wheel damage if she did not catch the fact that the tire was flat with out the RF's........

I think you have to maintain 20 lbs of pressure to not ruin the tire....like if you have a slow leak and are driving to get it fixed....
Old 08-15-2015, 10:32 AM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I would not pay to fix a Goodyear if it was good. Michelin run flats are great tires and you won't believe the difference.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:48 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Huskerman
......after they have been run flat they can't be run again is what I have always heard. the sidewall is weakened because it has supported that side of the car for however long......and in your case they did a great job getting your wife home safe.
Go with the Stone-P's they are a great tire.....and its like your story why run flats are important to have........your wife would have been stranded and there might have been wheel damage if she did not catch the fact that the tire was flat with out the RF's........
I think you have to maintain 20 lbs of pressure to not ruin the tire....like if you have a slow leak and are driving to get it fixed....
I agree. I have about 35k on my Bstones and they are very close to replacement...but still good tires.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:02 AM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

That's the good thing about a run flat, it will get to a safe place if within a reasonable distance. Bad thing, you get to buy a new one. I had a bad run flat Michelin and ended up buying all 4 tires. Did not want 2 new tires and 2 half worn tires, so the answer was replace all 4. I replaced with Continental DW's and carry a small compressor and plug kit. Any more than emergency patching a tire required then "here we go again, I've just bought another set of tires". I can almost get 2 sets of Conti's for the price of 1 set of "high dollar" tires.
Did the low air pressure sensor not work? The car should have given a warning that something was wrong and driver could have reduced the speed, even if just to remain within a safe speed for a run flat.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:14 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by hydrasport
...Did the low air pressure sensor not work?
My wife DD our '64 vette during my 9 month deployment. When I returned I jumped in the car and it was running on 7 cylinders. When I asked when it started doing that (foolish question) she said "oh, about a week after you left"...
As if I didn't know better, a few years later she drove home in our '65 vette and the temp gauge was pegged and steam was coming out from under the car. When I asked how long it had been doing that (another foolish question) she said "oh, about 15 minutes"...
So, did the low air pressure sensor not work? It may not have mattered.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:14 AM
bg74
Cruising

Originally Posted by hydrasport
That's the good thing about a run flat, it will get to a safe place if within a reasonable distance. Bad thing, you get to buy a new one. I had a bad run flat Michelin and ended up buying all 4 tires. Did not want 2 new tires and 2 half worn tires, so the answer was replace all 4. I replaced with Continental DW's and carry a small compressor and plug kit. Any more than emergency patching a tire required then "here we go again, I've just bought another set of tires". I can almost get 2 sets of Conti's for the price of 1 set of "high dollar" tires.
Did the low air pressure sensor not work? The car should have given a warning that something was wrong and driver could have reduced the speed, even if just to remain within a safe speed for a run flat.
No, it worked - "Right Rear Tire Flat" - "Don't exceed 55mph" - "Reduced Handling". Apparently not clear enough for my wife since the tire looked fine and the car drove normally.

I'm leaning towards the Conti's - just over $1100 for the whole set.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Exactly the same thing happened to our C6. I would not trust the run flats after they have been run any distance in a flat condition. I was not going to fix a 1/2 worn Goodyear tire! I bought 2 new Bridgestone Potenza R050A run flats and put them on the rear. Oh, by the way...there was 8000 miles on the Goodyears!!
Old 08-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
My wife DD our '64 vette during my 9 month deployment. When I returned I jumped in the car and it was running on 7 cylinders. When I asked when it started doing that (foolish question) she said "oh, about a week after you left"...
As if I didn't know better, a few years later she drove home in our '65 vette and the temp gauge was pegged and steam was coming out from under the car. When I asked how long it had been doing that (another foolish question) she said "oh, about 15 minutes"...
So, did the low air pressure sensor not work? It may not have mattered.
That's funny
Old 08-15-2015, 11:59 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Depending upon how much mileage is on the current tires, you might chose to replace anyway, but as another has noted, best to check with a GY service tech. If the puncture is in a location that can be plugged & there is sufficient tread left on the tire, you may chose to do that. Keep in mind that a repair on a RF is not only a plug but also an interior patch, so the tire will have to be de-mounted (or at least the bean broken on one side).
As for non-RF's, I've been running Nitto Invo's for the past 20K miles without any problems. The ride is much more comfortable & quiet than the RF's, with no loss of handling. I do carry a plug kit & small 12v compressor, but have never had to use it. Also with a non-RF, if you do get a puncture, a plug alone is sufficient.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:30 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Repair it unless you have (too much) money you're trying to spend. And try a set of Firehawk RFs when your's need replacing. Great tires. I gotta laugh at the guys who replace a full set of tires when they need only one or a pair.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:04 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I had some nails in my GYRF on my old C5, they can be patched. I was broke and couldn't afford another tire, the shop patched mine, it can be done and your tire will be fine. Since it was in the rear I would thing that the pressure on the sidewall would be minimal compared to the front. I just let me drive my car, women just don't get it
Old 08-15-2015, 01:11 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I like the Conti's. Had them on my Z06 and running them on my base c6 now.

If a tire has been run 20% under inflated, it should be dismounted and the inside inspected for damage. A plug is only a temporary patch. Any tubeless tire that has a puncture that is not in a sidewall area must be dismounted and properly repaired with an internal patch. The only section of a tire that can be patched (not considered sidewall area) is any groove that has a wear bar present.

"Repair it unless you have (too much) money you're trying to spend. And try a set of Firehawk RFs when your's need replacing. Great tires. I gotta laugh at the guys who replace a full set of tires when they need only one or a pair."
I've got 1 new goodyear on the right front and a firestone with 4/32nd's on the left. Continental snow tire on the back left and a Bridgestone on the right rear that still has another 500 miles of use on it. All tires are good. I've saved almost $200. LOL
This is not a trailer we're talking about. Do what you need to do and make sure you have a good set of tires on the car. If the pulloffs have any life left in them, sell them to the Camaro guys.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:41 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default used tires on ebay

There are some decent used tires for sale on E-bay, I bought a rear Michelin PS2 for my GS there a couple years ago and had no issues ,tire was as advertised with no patches or plugs. Word of caution, there are tires on there that have been 'professionally repaired' so read the fine print. I currently shopping for a no plug no patch used rear again (picked up a nail) and see several RFT GY for sale on e-bay.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:26 PM
bg74
Cruising

Originally Posted by TerryL
Repair it unless you have (too much) money you're trying to spend. And try a set of Firehawk RFs when your's need replacing. Great tires. I gotta laugh at the guys who replace a full set of tires when they need only one or a pair.
Firestones are out - they are not made in the 325 size. The only run-flat choices are Goodyear (stock), Michelin Pilots, and Bridgestone Potenzas.

My original question was whether or not the Goodyear would be safe after being run at 75-80 mph sustained with no air. If it isn't, then I would have to replace it. If I have to replace it, then I have to replace the other rear tire since they're about half worn. I'm a huge stickler for having matching tires on my cars as far as brand/model/etc.

The point is - if I have to replace 2 tires anyway, now would be the time to get rid of the crappy stock tires.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:43 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd ask a Goodyear dealer what they think. I've never heard that it was mandatory that you replace a run flat once it was run with no air pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To Run flat ruined?

Old 08-15-2015, 02:47 PM
bg74
Cruising

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I'd ask a Goodyear dealer what they think. I've never heard that it was mandatory that you replace a run flat once it was run with no air pressure.
Just called the local Goodyear store. He said that if the tire was run at under 50 mph for under 50 miles, it could be salvageable pending the severity/location of the puncture.

He said if it has been run at sustained high speed with no air, there could be all kinds of internal heat damage that cannot be seen even with the tire dismounted.

I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and toss it.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:11 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bg74
Just called the local Goodyear store. He said that if the tire was run at under 50 mph for under 50 miles, it could be salvageable pending the severity/location of the puncture.

He said if it has been run at sustained high speed with no air, there could be all kinds of internal heat damage that cannot be seen even with the tire dismounted.

Good information. Interesting that he said replacing a flat run flat is not mandatory.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:39 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by bg74

This was a Goodyear tire salesman telling you this right?

Quick Reply: Run flat ruined?