C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Bumper hit / Insurance Claims Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 08:23 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Bumper hit / Insurance Claims Advice

Advice appreciated:

-Driving my DD '12 C6, stopped in traffic, and driver behind me drives into my rear. Hard enough jolt that I knew there was damage.

-Rear (red paint) below license plate has black mark from his bumper; white paint from his car and two gouges / 1/4" scratches/blisters, size of bolt heads thru paint, with black primer showing. Doesnt appear to have hole or crack. Also, side edge of rear valence looks to have "shifted" and is bowed and not flush when you look at car on side.

-I have State Farm with $2000 collision deductible.

-Called State Farm (SF) to report and gave them, drivers info/policy#. They said SF Claims would call me. They noted regardless of fault, my deductible applies; and they would contact other party as part of process and try to recover claim costs.

-So....am I better off going to a good body shop and have them spot correct (paint, wet sand, and clear) and submit that bill and avoid an accident showing up on Carfax?

The blistering / scrape makes using touch up paint look not a choice.

OR

-Pursue a full blown claim and have entire rear valence disassembled or replaced if "shift" warped or damaged retainers/clips; repainted, and submit claim to SF and risk recovery thru his insurer?

Really reluctant to do this; issues of paint not matching, fit, finish, etc. Factory paint curing process is very durable and has actually resisted alot of previous dings, wear, etc.

Seems like State Farm will want me to eat deductible and then "after the fact" try and recover with no guarantees?

Also, not sure what the test is for degree of damage; will SF Claims deny claim based on 1/4" size, as a "ding" or "cosmetic" or "wear/tear/chip" OR is damage of paint thru primer always covered?

Definitely annoying; people are so careless towards others property.
Its a DD with 20K+ miles so I am over being OCD about ever nick; but this is a headache I didnt need!

Last edited by Kevin_NYC; 08-15-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:56 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Did you call police & make a report? If it was the other driver's fault, you shouldn't have to pay the deductible. Was rear ended in my Camaro the beginning of this year. Took pictures and called CHP and made a report. Filed with my insurance & once they got the pictures & police report, they waived the deductible.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2015, 09:22 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Called 911, they dispatched to LAPD (per jurisdiction, not highway) , they told me they will not respond unless drivers injured, airbags go off or public property damaged.

Just re-called LAPD & CHP; ditto response.

They said exchange info and move on; I even pointed out that driver had a temp insurance card printout expired and they still didn't care. Said other driver doesn't have to provide proof of insurance to a non-law enforcement person.

Last edited by Kevin_NYC; 08-15-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:39 PM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

Don't know how the insurance works in your neck of the woods but if you were stopped and rear ended I would have just called his insurance not yours they should cover it without involving your insurance company at all.

My daughters car got hit in a parking lot a few weeks ago I never even called my insurance I had his company pay 100% of the repair including a car rental while it was in the shop.

Sorry to hear of your headache it always sucks to have to deal with!
Old 08-15-2015, 10:53 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

I agree with the other posters. You need to contact the other cars insurance co.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:05 PM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC
Advice appreciated:

-Driving my DD '12 C6, stopped in traffic, and driver behind me drives into my rear. Hard enough jolt that I knew there was damage.

-Rear (red paint) below license plate has black mark from his bumper; white paint from his car and two gouges / 1/4" scratches, size of bolt heads thru paint, with black primer showing. Doesnt appear to have hole or crack. Also, side edge of rear valence looks to have "shifted" and is bowed and not flush when you look at car on side.

-Called State Farm (SF) to report and gave them, drivers info/policy#. They said SF Claims would call me. They noted regardless of fault, my deductible applies; and they would contact other party as part of process and try to recover claim costs.

-So....am I better off going to a good body shop and have them spot correct (touch up, wet sand, and clear) and submit that bill and avoid an accident showing up on Carfax?

OR

-Pursue a full blown claim and have entire rear valence disassembled or replaced if "shift" warped or damaged retainers/clips; repainted, and submit claim to SF and risk recovery thru his insurer?

Really reluctant to do this; issues of paint not matching, fit, finish, etc. Factory paint curing process is very durable and has actually resisted alot of previous dings, wear, etc.

Seems like State Farm will want me to eat deductible and then "after the fact" try and recover with no guarantees?

Also, not sure what the test is for degree of damage; will SF Claims deny claim based on 1/4" size, as a "ding" or "cosmetic" or "wear/tear/chip" OR is damage of paint thru primer always covered?

Its a DD with 20K+ miles so I am over being OCD about ever nick; but this is a headache I didnt need!
This is why I left State Farm many years ago. After more than 30 years and no claims my renewal that year went through the roof. I am now insured with AAA. My wife was rear-ended in her new car last April. When we notified AAA and said we were hit in the rear, they immediately said they were waiving our deductible. AAA is a great company.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:30 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

I'd try a personal phone call to your agent...in the event you just called their 800 hotline instead.

I have SF as well, and when my wife got hit a few years back (was a report filed with PD, however), they said since it was not my fault to:

1) contact other party's insurance company and see if they would act in an expeditious manner to get the vehicle repaired.

2) if said company would not do so, call SF back (meaning I'd be filing a claim), and they would pay for repair and then go after other insurance company. No deductible for me. No out of pocket costs at all.

Granted, my agent is my cousin...so maybe that helps.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:37 AM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

An agent has little control on how the insurance company handles a claim but he/she should be able to instruct you on procedure! I have a friend who owns a body shop and he was a big help with my last claim he actually made the first call to the other drivers insurance company having a police report is key because this report is what the insurance companies use to base the presentence of responsibility. The police report is coded for them to access the amount of each parties fault contributing to the accident. In the case of being appropriately stopped at a light/stop sign and being hit in the rear there should be zero responsibility for said car. In most other cases there is always some shared responsibility and the insurance companies share in the cost based on this number. A few years ago my son went to make a left turn as he was approaching a light he made the mistake of turning into the turning lane a little early out of nowhere a car made an illegal left turn across the two lanes to his right and tee boned my son's car. The insurance company tried to say it was a 50/50 responsibility I had to fight with them to get them to understand the guy made an illegal left and get them to agree to 80/20 this had little bearing on much accept how much they were going to increase my policy as a result of the accident. They are not supposed to raise you policy if you are involve in an accident at no fault of your own!
Old 08-16-2015, 07:34 AM
piper_chuck
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Advice appreciated:

-Rear (red paint) below license plate has black mark from his bumper; white paint from his car and two gouges / 1/4" scratches/blisters, size of bolt heads thru paint, with black primer showing. Doesnt appear to have hole or crack. Also, side edge of rear valence looks to have "shifted" and is bowed and not flush when you look at car on side.

-So....am I better off going to a good body shop and have them spot correct (paint, wet sand, and clear) and submit that bill and avoid an accident showing up on Carfax?

OR

As others have said, you need to call the OTHER person's insurance and file the claim with them. The one time I had to file an accident claim, someone else's fault, I talked to both companies and ended up going with the other person's. The primary advantages were I did not have to eat a deductible and my insurance didn't have rental car coverage, but her company had to provide one to me. By going to the other insurance company you can also go after loss of value.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:34 AM
rodknock
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's minor damage I would not go thru Insurance because of Carfax, had the same thing happen to me, got tapped in the rear bumper of my 07 a few years back, went thru insurance. Got car repaired,minor damage but last year when I went to trade it in Dealers told me car is worthless! Has Carfax Accident report on it. It' a 07 3lt vert with 17,000 mile on it.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:03 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

The other guy's insurance is responsible for your repair, and the only reason you need to contact your company is if the other company tries to weasel out of paying properly (and they will ... I've had experience). They will most likely use their power to get the other company to pay for reasonable repairs.

But you have a $2000 deductible for a reason ... your premiums are cheaper. That means that your company will pay damages only in excess of $2000, so it's logical that you would have to pay the deductible. You could get a $0 deductible, for a price, but you weren't willing to pay the price. So you're stuck with paying the first $2000 of damages by your own choice, unless the other person is at fault (which is clearly was in this instance ... they hit you in the rear). That only makes sense.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:02 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Why aren't you having him contact his insurance company?
Old 08-16-2015, 11:21 AM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

What do you do when the other driver has no insurance? That is likely the case here since the OP said the other driver presented him with an expired insurance card...
Old 08-16-2015, 01:12 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

On my follow up call to LAPD they were dumbfounded when I called them out and asked how come they wouldn't send an officer when I had a driver w/out proof of insurance; and pointed out if I was stopped in a routine traffic stop without insurance proof an officer would issue a $500 ticket here in LA and points, if not impound car.

It's all about revenue; I'm sure they ran an actuarial study and figured out traffic stops occur 100x more than accidents and they should have cops sipping coffee/donuts waiting in shade for next traffic stop.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:51 PM
GSDriver
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking from the law enforcement side. The reason most police agencies do not come out on a traffic accident is basically, a non-injury fender bender is a "civil matter" to be handled between insurance companies. However, smaller jurisdictions will mostly go to everything because they can spend the time on the incident.

Here is a hint to get them to come out to your assistance (and use this hint wisely). Tell them the accident is blocking traffic and the cars cant be moved; the other driver is "suspected" to have been drinking; or there is a argument and it is escalating and a fight is about to break out. These are most always automatic calls they will take. The officer is not obligated to write a report nowadays with most non-injury or non-alcohol related crashes, due to it being a civil matter.

Also, Please don't try say there is an injury when there isn't, that can only tie up fire and medical when they are needed elsewhere too.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:59 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

I've never heard of cops refusing to show up at an accident. If all fails, judge Judy him.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:31 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Agree with other posts.. Call THEIR insurance company, not yours.. I have state farm and my sons idiot neighbor backed into my 2013 GS. Just cracked the rear wheel well... He elected to go thru his insurance.. Geico handled everything including a rental when car was in shop.. Damage was $2700 ( I demanded a new 1/4 panel)... I did NOT call my insurance company although Geico did.. Not sure why but when I talked to my agent after I found out she told don't worry about anything.. You NEED another agent or insurance company.. BTW I live in LI, NY.. Not far from you..

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Bumper hit / Insurance Claims Advice

Old 08-16-2015, 04:18 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

On my follow up call to LAPD they were dumbfounded when I called them out and asked how come they wouldn't send an officer when I had a driver w/out proof of insurance; and pointed out if I was stopped in a routine traffic stop without insurance proof an officer would issue a $500 ticket here in LA and points, if not impound car.
I had a similar experience two weeks ago. Rear-ended, other driver did not have proof of current insurance, police operator refused to relay the call.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:36 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

OR

I share your dread of having paintwork done. You can easily end up someplace worse than you started.

I believe it's necessary to re-clear an entire panel even if only part of it is being repainted. So you'll want to have the bumper cover removed regardless. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to get off.

It is unlikely that the insurer will okay a replacement cover. They will probably insist on a repair. If it was really scrunched or cracked I would push back and if necessary just pay the difference myself (brand new ones are < $700 retail) but in your case a repair may actually turn out _better_ because the shop can isolate their blending magic to the panel that's already screwed up (assuming the paint damage doesn't extend do the edges).

You don't want them painting a new cover and then going on a blending expedition across the both rear quarters and the hatch lid. I would much rather live with slightly mismatched cover than go through that. Besides, some covers came pretty mismatched from the factory (Velocity Yellow had that problem).
Old 08-16-2015, 07:36 PM
STL_Hokie
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
I'd try a personal phone call to your agent...in the event you just called their 800 hotline instead.

I have SF as well, and when my wife got hit a few years back (was a report filed with PD, however), they said since it was not my fault to:

1) contact other party's insurance company and see if they would act in an expeditious manner to get the vehicle repaired.

2) if said company would not do so, call SF back (meaning I'd be filing a claim), and they would pay for repair and then go after other insurance company. No deductible for me. No out of pocket costs at all.

Granted, my agent is my cousin...so maybe that helps.
I was stopped on the interstate Wed. during rush hour traffic, got rear-ended in my Murano and pushed into a Mustang, which was subsequently pushed into an Acura. The guy wasn't looking and his airbag deployed when he hit me.

I called SF to arrange the tow, but the guy that hit me is on the hook for the damage to all of the vehicles and tow reimbursement. He has Allstate, which immediately put me into a rental. The bad news is that they are at an estimate of 9K to repair and they have even opened the hood, hatchback, or thoroughly checked underneath. I'm guessing they will total it, so we'll see how negotiating a settlement with them goes...

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper hit / Insurance Claims Advice