C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 05:15 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Default TPMS Problem

I just got back from my trip down to NC. to run the Tail of the Dragon. I'll post a thread later today with pics. Last summer I replaced my RF sensor,and a month ago I was getting the "service tire monitor" and blinking light and the XX on the LF and RR so I just had those replaced before my trip. The only original one is the LR. Well 100 miles into my trip I got the warning light and the LF was XX(now I know my tire guy set the sensors correctly to each tire with that hand held dohicky). Then I would stop for gas and light would go out for another hour or so of driving then come back on and and the last time I had XX on all four tires!! Car ran fine the whole time mind you.

So when I got home yesterday I looked in the owners manual,and it said electronic devices good mess with the TPMS. So either something else is wrong with it and I need to go to the dealer? so I am going to go for a ride without my cell phone next time to see if the light comes on again before calling the dealer. Any thoughts?
Old 08-18-2015, 05:25 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

2010 GS Btw, Tia
Old 08-18-2015, 06:13 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Old 08-18-2015, 09:14 AM
COCO RICK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I just got back from my trip down to NC. to run the Tail of the Dragon. I'll post a thread later today with pics. Last summer I replaced my RF sensor,and a month ago I was getting the "service tire monitor" and blinking light and the XX on the LF and RR so I just had those replaced before my trip. The only original one is the LR. Well 100 miles into my trip I got the warning light and the LF was XX(now I know my tire guy set the sensors correctly to each tire with that hand held dohicky). Then I would stop for gas and light would go out for another hour or so of driving then come back on and and the last time I had XX on all four tires!! Car ran fine the whole time mind you.

So when I got home yesterday I looked in the owners manual,and it said electronic devices good mess with the TPMS. So either something else is wrong with it and I need to go to the dealer? so I am going to go for a ride without my cell phone next time to see if the light comes on again before calling the dealer. Any thoughts?
Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Hey Don....I see you checked out my thread on the sensors to. Have you noticed or tried to see if your active handling is functioning correctly as it is spose to automatically shut down the active handling feature whenever the "Service tire monitor" shows.....according to the manual anyway. Let us know what you find out please. I'm taking mine in today to see what kind of scuffle i'll start by asking them NOT to remove the tire when replacing the sensor.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:02 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by windyC6
Hey Don....I see you checked out my thread on the sensors to. Have you noticed or tried to see if your active handling is functioning correctly as it is spose to automatically shut down the active handling feature whenever the "Service tire monitor" shows.....according to the manual anyway. Let us know what you find out please. I'm taking mine in today to see what kind of scuffle i'll start by asking them NOT to remove the tire when replacing the sensor.
I didn't want to try the traction button so far away from home in case something happened so I'm not sure. I'm wondering what else the dealer could fix? Keep us posted, and they do not have to remove the tire from the rim, they just break the bead on one side to access the sensor.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:26 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

I didn't want to try the traction button so far away from home in case something happened so I'm not sure. I'm wondering what else the dealer could fix? Keep us posted, and they do not have to remove the tire from the rim, they just break the bead on one side to access the sensor.
I was wondering the same thing. I hate to say it but if the sensors are not the problem then that could mean some kind of computer glitch...etc. In any event....hope it doesn't become to costly.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:10 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

A guy in our club was getting random problems with the TPMS on his 2012, dealer was working hard with replacements, reprogramming, etc. But they could never cure the problem for more than a couple of weeks.

Then one day, the Tech noticed the owner had his phone charger plugged into the car.
Removed the charger and the problem never came back.

I'd say the problem could happen with any non-factory electronics, but many people have extra stuff and no problems.
My car has a hard-wired valentine, hard-wired MTW for the NPP, hard-wired GPS, and a CB radio that I plug into the console when needed. I use the phone charger occasionally, too. No problems for me, but then our friend has problems with just the phone charger. Go figure...

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 08-18-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I was told by the tire shop that replaced my tires recently that the C6's need to be re-set at the dealer. The tire shop was no help.
The dealer charged me $70 with tax to re-set.
I would replace the final sensor. I had to get a sensor replaced 2 weeks after the dealer re-set the sensors.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:48 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

You can buy the tool for less than that.
Kent-Moore EL-50448 TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Activation Tool

Kent-Moore EL-50448 TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Activation Tool

by Automotive Specialty Tools

| 96 answered questions

Price: $67.20 + $6.24 shipping

In Stock.

Ships from and sold by Kam Tools.

Estimated Delivery Date: Aug. 24 - 27 when you choose Standard at checkout.

• For certain vehicles equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system,
› See more product details
Old 08-19-2015, 10:48 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Had the one bad sensor replaced and all went well. Probably paid a little too much, so i'll go elsewhere for the next one, or three. Turns out this place was mis-understanding about removing the entire tire from the wheel....they thought i was suggesting that they could change the thing without even busting the bead....oh no....red flag....LOL. Anyway, they didn't remove the entire tire. If you have any sensors replaced be sure you know what the finished product is gonna look like as far as the stems outside the wheels go. The new stem does not match the other three that this same place put on 3 years ago. Its the normal black in color and it extends past the wheel farther. I went back up to the place and asked them what gives and they said that this is the new style and you can't get the same ones I had anymore......HUM ??? Gonna have to see what kind of sleeve I can fabricate for a better match. Always something.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Problem

Quick Reply: TPMS Problem