C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coastal highways...all the way!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 02:26 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17
Default Coastal highways...all the way!

Heading north in the 06 vert Sunday morning across the GG bridge and then into Mill Valley to catch hiway 1 over Mt. Tam and down to Stinson Beach and points north. Will stay on 1 all the way to it's end at Leggett and 101 and then north thru the Avenue of the Giants to Eureka for the night. Next morning I'll head north into Oregon and all the way to Astoria at the WA border for the night. I've ridden this road several times on motorcycles but never into WA staying on 101. Always headed NE towards ID and MT but this time I'll skirt the extreme western and northwestern edge of WA clear to Neah Bay and then back east to Port Townsend for the next night. Next morning I'll head SW down into OR again with a side trip away from the coast to McMinnville for the aviation museum to see the Spruce Goose and an SR-71, among other exhibits. Then head back west to 101 for the ride back south. 101 and especially 1 are great roads in either direction and after all, it ain't the destination, it's the journey. Six days and about 2,500 miles and the forecast is top down weather just about everywhere! I'll be checking in evenings to see how you working stiffs are doing while I'm enjoying my retirement...
Old 08-21-2015, 02:28 AM
True Knight
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
Heading north in the 06 vert Sunday morning across the GG bridge and then into Mill Valley to catch hiway 1 over Mt. Tam and down to Stinson Beach and points north. Will stay on 1 all the way to it's end at Leggett and 101 and then north thru the Avenue of the Giants to Eureka for the night. Next morning I'll head north into Oregon and all the way to Astoria at the WA border for the night. I've ridden this road several times on motorcycles but never into WA staying on 101. Always headed NE towards ID and MT but this time I'll skirt the extreme western and northwestern edge of WA clear to Neah Bay and then back east to Port Townsend for the next night. Next morning I'll head SW down into OR again with a side trip away from the coast to McMinnville for the aviation museum to see the Spruce Goose and an SR-71, among other exhibits. Then head back west to 101 for the ride back south. 101 and especially 1 are great roads in either direction and after all, it ain't the destination, it's the journey. Six days and about 2,500 miles and the forecast is top down weather just about everywhere! I'll be checking in evenings to see how you working stiffs are doing while I'm enjoying my retirement...
Must be nice!...gotta get back to work
Old 08-21-2015, 02:35 AM
Glen1224
Burning Brakes

Location: Lower Macungie Township ; Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 08-21-2015, 02:43 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

I haven't left yet! This was just to whet your interest...
Old 08-21-2015, 02:45 AM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

I always get a chuckle when I exclaim how exciting retirement will be and someone always interjects about how I'll get bored. I should reference this post as an example about how one should spend their years after work. My job does not define me, but rather experiences like you're living, my friend. Enjoy!

Last edited by airmed2; 08-21-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:27 AM
psaboic
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About 40 miles north of Astoria off of 101 you will see a sign pointing to the right that says "Bay Center, 3 miles"......turn off and give it a check. The road into the town is twisty and pretty fun, and it is a quaint little town. Best fresh oysters I have ever tasted. Have to look closely for the sign though, you blink and you will miss it!
Old 08-21-2015, 10:04 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Take the time for a walk among the GIANTS!

I have always found this to be very uplifting experience.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:46 AM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice! Stop by a little town off 101 called Trinidad, A really cool little town and a very picturesque harbor.

Mark
Old 08-21-2015, 11:05 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 08-21-2015, 11:47 AM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Terry, have a great trip. Sounds so good we may try that as a club event sometime. Stay safe and engoy! 2k
Old 08-21-2015, 12:03 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

In 2-weeks...heading the other direction - Pacific Coast Highway; Seattle...south all the way to SD...on to Tucson. Safe Travels!
Old 08-21-2015, 12:57 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by psaboic
About 40 miles north of Astoria off of 101 you will see a sign pointing to the right that says "Bay Center, 3 miles"......turn off and give it a check. The road into the town is twisty and pretty fun, and it is a quaint little town. Best fresh oysters I have ever tasted. Have to look closely for the sign though, you blink and you will miss it!
I see that (barely) on the map just before South Bend. Will check it out! Not much for oysters but fried clams and good chowder are my favorites. Driving the entire coast hiway in both directions I'm probably going to get my fill of seafood!
Old 08-21-2015, 01:00 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

From a driver's point of view, is travelling north on PCH better than travelling in a southerly direction? I'm talking about the views while driving.

I'm planning a trip there in the next couple of years and I want to plan which way I want to go on the PCH.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:02 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Take the time for a walk among the GIANTS!

I have always found this to be very uplifting experience.
I lived up there for a few years and visit the Giants as often as possible. Walking out among them is like going to church, a good church! Peaceful, serene, beautiful, remarkable...there aren't enough words to really describe the experience. One just has to go there to understand.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:05 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by CHEV AGAIN
Nice! Stop by a little town off 101 called Trinidad, A really cool little town and a very picturesque harbor.

Mark
I actually lived in Westhaven for awhile, just one exit before Trinidad. Lived high on a bluff but could see the ocean from my kitchen and bedroom windows.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:11 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
Terry, have a great trip. Sounds so good we may try that as a club event sometime. Stay safe and engoy! 2k
Now that sounds great, even if it's just up to the Giants. An overnight could be just north in Fortuna. Good lodging and eats there. What everyone needs to drive is hiway 1 north of Rockport where it leaves the ocean all the way to 101 at Leggett ( the western Dragon IMO) corner after corner, elevation changes, short straights and did I mention corners? Manoman what a road!
Old 08-21-2015, 01:21 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by PDsVettes
From a driver's point of view, is travelling north on PCH better than travelling in a southerly direction? I'm talking about the views while driving.

I'm planning a trip there in the next couple of years and I want to plan which way I want to go on the PCH.
I've done both many times and I probably prefer a southerly direction due to being on the very edge of the hiway heading south. As for views, you'll see different views in each direction. Both are great!

Get notified of new replies

To Coastal highways...all the way!

Old 08-21-2015, 01:30 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Kreuzen
In 2-weeks...heading the other direction - Pacific Coast Highway; Seattle...south all the way to SD...on to Tucson. Safe Travels!
Watch out for WA hiway patrol on the interstate. They have 60 mph zones in the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason other than to generate revenue. I'd steer clear of the Seattle mess if possible. Get to 101 ASAP for the best ride. Remember too that in Oregon other than the interstates (every) road is a 55 zone, no matter how empty or long, it's 55 mph. Lots of revenuers up there.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:34 PM
BadgeZ28
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Traffic will be heavy on 101 this time of year. Much better after schools start. Take your time and enjoy the scenery.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:45 PM
0Extreme Dimensions
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done both many times and I probably prefer a southerly direction due to being on the very edge of the hiway heading south. As for views, you'll see different views in each direction. Both are great!
+1on being on the very edge. I feel like going south has more traffic than going north though. At least the times I've gone.

Quick Reply: Coastal highways...all the way!