C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas in storage

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:10 PM
wjhgolf
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas in storage

I plan to put StaBil in during winter storage, but I was only going to have the tank half full. Does that matter? I don't want a full tank of "old" fuel come spring.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by wjhgolf
I plan to put StaBil in during winter storage, but I was only going to have the tank half full. Does that matter? I don't want a full tank of "old" fuel come spring.
Best to have the tank full to prevent any condensation on exposed parts within the tank, but more important is to run the engine for several minutes after adding the StaBil to insure coverage in the entire fuel system.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:10 PM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 890 Likes on 375 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

Old 08-24-2015, 03:02 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would fill it up for storage.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:10 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

What you read about fresh gas versus old gas is almost entirely myth. There are a few, ”one in a million” things that can happen, but it’s safe to ignore those. For practical purposes, only two things can happen. One is unlikely in a gas station’s or a car’s tank, and even if it happens, it isn’t very serious. A bit of the butane can evaporate, making the car a bit harder to start. But that’s mostly a problem with lawn mower, weed eater, or chain saw kinds of tanks that aren’t always sealed very well, and are often stored in hot garages for long periods of time. And worst case, it makes things a bit harder to start. So what? No real damage done. So in terms of actual damage potential, that leaves only one thing, water.

All gas, including gas with and without ethanol, can dissolve a little water. I’ll come back to ethanol later, let’s just start out with “pure” gas, no ethanol. Usually, there is only a trace amount of water dissolved in the gas. But sometimes in the pipelines, barges, and storage facilities, it can get saturated with water, which means that a 20 gallon tank of gas can contain an ounce or so of water. As long as the water stays dissolved, it is harmless. But as the temperature drops, the gas can’t hold as much water anymore, so it can start dropping out as a water layer. That’s what can cause a problem. Stabilizer prevents that from happening, which is why you use it in winter storage. Typically, it is reasonably warm when you fill your tank, and the tank will get much colder over the winter. If you are lucky and the gas hadn’t gotten saturated with water in the pipeline, barge, and storage systems, you can get by even in winter storage without stabilizer. That’s why many people report successful winter storage without stabilizer. But if you are unlucky, and your tank of gas for storage has gotten saturated with water, then without stabilizer, as things cool off, you will have a water layer in the bottom of your tank.

Everything said above also applies to gas with ethanol. Thus, the odds you will have a problem with ethanol gas are precisely and exactly the same as the odds you will have a problem with “pure” gas. But since ethanol gas can dissolve more water (a bit over a cup in 20 gallons instead of an ounce in 20 gallons), then if the problem occurs, it will be worse with ethanol than without. The reason odds of having a problem are the same with and without ethanol is that both types of gas are usually dry. Getting gas that is saturated with water requires a screw-up, and odds of a screw-up are the same with or without ethanol. The only difference is that if a screw-up occurs and the gas is saturated with water, the problem is worse with ethanol since it can dissolve more water.

Anyway, that’s gotten a bit long winded, but bottom line, don’t lay awake worrying about “stale” gas. Dump in your stabilizer at the gas station, fill your tank, drive home, store your car, and it will be fine.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:25 PM
GASCAR
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

Geez, just fill the tank up. Price of gas has dropped quite a bit.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:08 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,247 Likes on 705 Posts

Thanks LDB for the info. I know there's a few experts on the forum on different subjects and you're the one on petroleum products.

Originally Posted by LDB
What you read about fresh gas versus old gas is almost entirely myth. There are a few, ”one in a million” things that can happen, but it’s safe to ignore those. For practical purposes, only two things can happen. One is unlikely in a gas station’s or a car’s tank, and even if it happens, it isn’t very serious. A bit of the butane can evaporate, making the car a bit harder to start. But that’s mostly a problem with lawn mower, weed eater, or chain saw kinds of tanks that aren’t always sealed very well, and are often stored in hot garages for long periods of time. And worst case, it makes things a bit harder to start. So what? No real damage done. So in terms of actual damage potential, that leaves only one thing, water.

All gas, including gas with and without ethanol, can dissolve a little water. I’ll come back to ethanol later, let’s just start out with “pure” gas, no ethanol. Usually, there is only a trace amount of water dissolved in the gas. But sometimes in the pipelines, barges, and storage facilities, it can get saturated with water, which means that a 20 gallon tank of gas can contain an ounce or so of water. As long as the water stays dissolved, it is harmless. But as the temperature drops, the gas can’t hold as much water anymore, so it can start dropping out as a water layer. That’s what can cause a problem. Stabilizer prevents that from happening, which is why you use it in winter storage. Typically, it is reasonably warm when you fill your tank, and the tank will get much colder over the winter. If you are lucky and the gas hadn’t gotten saturated with water in the pipeline, barge, and storage systems, you can get by even in winter storage without stabilizer. That’s why many people report successful winter storage without stabilizer. But if you are unlucky, and your tank of gas for storage has gotten saturated with water, then without stabilizer, as things cool off, you will have a water layer in the bottom of your tank.

Everything said above also applies to gas with ethanol. Thus, the odds you will have a problem with ethanol gas are precisely and exactly the same as the odds you will have a problem with “pure” gas. But since ethanol gas can dissolve more water (a bit over a cup in 20 gallons instead of an ounce in 20 gallons), then if the problem occurs, it will be worse with ethanol than without. The reason odds of having a problem are the same with and without ethanol is that both types of gas are usually dry. Getting gas that is saturated with water requires a screw-up, and odds of a screw-up are the same with or without ethanol. The only difference is that if a screw-up occurs and the gas is saturated with water, the problem is worse with ethanol since it can dissolve more water.

Anyway, that’s gotten a bit long winded, but bottom line, don’t lay awake worrying about “stale” gas. Dump in your stabilizer at the gas station, fill your tank, drive home, store your car, and it will be fine.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

" Dump in your stabilizer at the gas station, fill your tank, drive home, store your car, and it will be fine."

Has worked fine for me here, for over the last 7 years.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:36 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Thanks LDB for the info. I know there's a few experts on the forum on different subjects and you're the one on petroleum products.

When this gentleman has something to say about pol, if your smart, you'll listen.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:49 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I've used SeaFoam in everything I've ever stored for decades. Fill the tanks with fresh gas, run it awhile and park it. Done it with snowmobiles, street bikes, dirt bikes, mowers, blowers, boats, wackers, chainsaws...anything.
Never had a problem
Old 08-24-2015, 10:14 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I never used anything in my tank - I just fill it to the top with ethanol free gas
Old 08-25-2015, 07:00 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Another reason to fill your tank is if you are only half full, it means one of the 2 fuel tanks is virtually empty, and it exposes the tank level sensor for corrosion.

Like many above, I recommend a full tank (the the ethanol version of StaBil added for insurance) before parked for winter storage. I would also change the oil then too, and store it with fresh engine oil.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:52 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I never used anything in my tank - I just fill it to the top with ethanol free gas
Top tier 93 octane gasoline will be fine for 4-6 months without any added stuff. Just park the car with a full tank. I have not driven my car since 3/24 and don't have any added "stabilizers". Long term non use is different...
Old 08-25-2015, 08:14 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB

I gotta say, LDB, I have learned more solid info from you here than I have from all the myths, rumors and other uninformed noise ever.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:34 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
A bit of the butane can evaporate, making the car a bit harder to start.
LDB, thank you for your informative post. I do have one question. I thought refineries are now removing butane from gasoline. So there is still some butane in our fuel?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:35 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

You need to fill the tank because you dont want condensation to form inside, burning the tank off on a weekend getaway in the spring is a ritual for us!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:57 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

First off, thanks for all the nice comments from various folks. As far as the butane question, there is essentially none in summer, with its low RVP spec, but there’s still quite a bit in winter and transition to winter RVP spec. RVP stands for Reid Vapor Pressure, with the Reid referring to a specific vapor pressure test procedure. Vapor pressure is a measure of how quickly the fuel will evaporate, and it needs to be higher in winter so that the gas will vaporize ok even in the colder temperatures.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:07 PM
COCO RICK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
Another reason to fill your tank is if you are only half full, it means one of the 2 fuel tanks is virtually empty, and it exposes the tank level sensor for corrosion.

Like many above, I recommend a full tank (the the ethanol version of StaBil added for insurance) before parked for winter storage. I would also change the oil then too, and store it with fresh engine oil.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas in storage

Quick Reply: Gas in storage