C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dust Boot Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 08:15 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Dust Boot Help

I have searched online and in the forum and other forums and still cannot find what I m looking for. I was able to find the rear tie rod end dust boots I need but not the others.

I need the Lower Rear Ball Joint Dust Boots for a 2005 or compatible Corvette. Mine are damaged and need to be replaced, not the Ball Joint, just the Dust Boot for now anyway.

First off, I have read that when it comes to the Lower Rear Ball Joints that replacing the complete control arm is most popular, I have read there is a Ball Joint hat works and can be pressed in, but requires more work than a simple swap. When my Ball Joints go bad I will cross that bridge but not now so please do not mention this. I am hoping to find a Dust Boot that works and not have to replace the entire Ball Joint or Control Arm.

Second, I have heard and read that Energy Suspension makes a Dust Boot, or NAPA, or local auto parts stores have universal ones but they do not give the exact Manufacturer and Part Number. One post gave a NAPA part number and said they have 3 different sizes and that is the part number for one of them but not the right one. So please, if you know the one I need, please post the Manufacture and Part Number such as MOOG # 78645 (example only). Thank you so much for that.

Most importantly, because there are a lot of threads on this but none I have found list the exact Manufacture and Part Number to fix it, it would be awesome if this one does, clearly others have he same issue so having a post that someone can find with the exact name and part number listed will really save others time and money from trial and error with Dust Boots that do not fit.

At this point I hope someone out there can help me, if you do not know but happen to have an OEM Rear Lower Control Arm with the Ball Joint in it. Please take it and a caliper and follow this link that shows how and where to measure it and with that information, I can look-up a universal dust boot that will work. Here is the link to ho to measure it, http://www.energysuspension.com/univ...ust-boots.html.

If anyone can either provide a Manufacturer and Part Number or measure an OEM Ball Joint in a Lower Rear Control Arm and post the measurements as they are listed in the link provided above will be awesome and very helpful for me and many others like myself now and in the future. Thank you all for your help!

Old 08-27-2015, 12:38 AM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Anyone? No one else had this problem, no one else fixed this problem? Someone help me out..

Someone out there has to have a lower rear control arm laying around that they can measure for me based on the link above, anyone?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:49 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Why not just replace the ball joint assembly?
It would be quicker and your car will appreciate it.
The rears are cheaper than the fronts.

No matter which route you go, you should still get the alignment checked when complete.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:54 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
Why not just replace the ball joint assembly?
It would be quicker and your car will appreciate it.
The rears are cheaper than the fronts.

No matter which route you go, you should still get the alignment checked when complete.
Well primarily because the lower rear ball joints do not come as a separate piece, you have to buy the entire lower control arm. There is a generic ball joint that you can buy and have the old ones pressed out and the new one pressed in but some do not think that is a good idea. Either way I would be looking at between $300 to $600 bucks to do that when all I really need now is some $25 Dust Boots.

And I don't see how replacing the ball joint or the control arms could be easier than installing a dust boot.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:41 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Do you have to disconnect the tie rod to install the boot?
Old 08-27-2015, 07:22 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

I would have to check but I don't think so. you just remove the nut off the top of the Ball Joint and separate it and then install the new boot and reinstall. Even if I do I have already bought new tie rod end boots because they are damages also.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:45 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Well since you don't seem to be getting much help, why don't you disconnect yours measure it order the boot and put it back together. Not ideal but may be the way you have togo.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:43 AM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by okie08vette
Well since you don't seem to be getting much help, why don't you disconnect yours measure it order the boot and put it back together. Not ideal but may be the way you have togo.
The sad part is I have been having the worst time getting a transmission issue fixed, I think it is finally done but the sad part is my rear cradle has been in the floor more than on the car the last 4 months and I had weeks I could have done just that but did not think about it. I figured I could just buy some or that someone would know which ones fit. Had I known then I would have measured and replaced them.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:00 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Another idea would be to buy all four then return the three you don't need.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:51 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

True unless all of them do not work...lol

I may just drop the ball joint one day when I am bored and measure it myself. I know there are people on here that have an old Rear Lower Control Arm but I guess they are not reading the post or are too busy to take the time to read it and measure it for me.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:49 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Hope you get it done. If I find one I will measure it for you.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:57 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Anyone know the brad and part number for the boots that will work on this or no? Does anyone have an old Rear Lower Control Arm with the Ball Joint in it that they can measure it for me so I can find generic Boots for this?

I think if we find out and post this information a lot of people will appreciate it because then they can simply order or pick them up and install them, many others do have or will have this issue in the future so I know it will be helpful.

Rick
Old 12-08-2019, 07:09 PM
Mark Leger
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I need dust boot sourcing help now also, has anyone figured this out yet?

Get notified of new replies

To Dust Boot Help

Quick Reply: Dust Boot Help