C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it my key FOB, door latch or what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 12:21 PM
Westy39
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it my key FOB, door latch or what?

2013 GS. Yesterday, when I tried to get into my car with the remote, it would not open. The window would index down slightly like it should open but the door would not release. I went around to the passenger side and it worked fine. I reached across the passenger side to push the door release button and it still would not open. So, I then went to the trunk and released the door manually. I drove it home and then could not open the door with the electric door button so I had to open it with the manual release on the floor to get out.

Is this failure indicative of a weak battery on the FOB? Seems like I should have been able to open the door from the inside via the door button...Or, is this an issue with the door handle mechanism? Any ideas?
Old 08-25-2015, 12:46 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

If it tries to open then the fob is working proper. The first thing I'd try is cleaning the outer door pad. There are many thread here on how to do it and it's very simple. If that doesn't work then you may need a new latch.

Check out THIS thread.

Last edited by EVRose; 08-25-2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 08-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Westy39
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, EVRose, I will try that first. Since my inside door switch doesn't seem to work either, I thought I would try to narrow down my options. Seems like the contacts on the door pad are a good place to start.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:09 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Westy39
2013 GS. Yesterday, when I tried to get into my car with the remote, it would not open. The window would index down slightly like it should open but the door would not release. I went around to the passenger side and it worked fine. I reached across the passenger side to push the door release button and it still would not open. So, I then went to the trunk and released the door manually. I drove it home and then could not open the door with the electric door button so I had to open it with the manual release on the floor to get out.

Is this failure indicative of a weak battery on the FOB? Seems like I should have been able to open the door from the inside via the door button...Or, is this an issue with the door handle mechanism? Any ideas?

If the door won't open from the inside when you press the button, then I doubt the problem is the contacts on the outside door switch, and cleaning them probably won't help. It sounds like the door release solenoid isn't working. I suspect a trip to the dealership is in your future.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it my key FOB, door latch or what?

Quick Reply: Is it my key FOB, door latch or what?